Need the intracacies of CDN insurance explained

Discussion in 'Canada' started by werewasi, May 13, 2020.

1. werewasi

werewasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm an Australian and would like to do a long Canadian ride (when CV 19 is gone) , purchasing a bike (because I wanted to do a bike exchange but there were no takers).
    It seemed difficult at your end because of I would not be the nominated rider on the policy and I gathered that BCIC charge a big premium excess.
    Can someone explain how insurance works in Canada (partic Manitoba) because like the US, you seem to have differing types of liability insurance.
    Can non residents get insurance?
    Is it the same in all provinces?
    Could I get the bike to Clay County in Sth Dakota (Vermillion) which is a hotspot for registration by out of state residents. I realise that the bike would have to meet things like US emission standards for importation but being a Moto Guzzi I think that the Canadian model would be the same as the US one.
  2. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Different provinces have different plans. BC and Manitoba are govt run and expensive to my knowledge. Newfoundland is neither but I can not comment on other provinces.
    Unless you plan on keeping the bike in Canada you need not import it and US insurance works here and vice versa on a temporary visiting status.
    @Peter640 was here on an Aussie licence with a California bike so he may have some info to help you.
  3. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I called my insurance agent - he says that you can provide a copy of your motorcycle license, a driver's abstract (record), dates of expected travel, and of course details of the motorbike, and then he can provide a quotation.

He believes an Australian license is accepted, some countries are not considered on par with Ontario qualifications - this would need to be confirmed.

A quick internet check shows a limitation of 3 or 6 months (depending on the province) before you would be required to get a provincial drivers permit.

I expect you would also need a valid address in the province of purchase to register your motorbike.
  4. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m no expert, but BC might be a more painful way to start this journey due to ICBC.

Might be easier to start in Alberta, head west, then east. The Rockies are worth riding through twice.
    Lornce, Adanac rider and rob1313 like this.
  5. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I’ve helped riders do this in Alberta. Hasn’t ever been a problem. Bring an international drivers licence, and perhaps a letter from your insurance company stating how long you’ve had bike insurance including claims history. You may have to call around a bit to get someone to insure you, but it’ll get done. Registration all you need is a bill of sake from the bike you bought and an Alberta address.
  6. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Importing the bike is done through Registrar of imported vehicles (RIV) and then licensed/inspected/insured in that province.
  7. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This topic was discussed a little while ago. Something to do with non-resident was an issue, I think poster had trouble getting insurance at all.

I would avoid British Columbia and Ontario as their insurance rates are crazy expensive. I live in New Brunswick, rates are not too bad here. Just off the top of my head say $300 or less for basic coverage. You wreck the bike it's on you basically. Once you get the insurance card you could drive anywhere in North America I think.

Have you talked to Horizons Unlimited? This is the kind of thing they know about.
  8. EnzoftheRoad

EnzoftheRoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    do not use Manitoba, your only option here is mandatory government insurance (v. expensive for bikes) AND you have to be a resident... speaking as a former insurance broker - now in recovery
  9. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I fired this question off to my sister, who used to be an underwriter;

She worked in Toronto and dealt with a lot of immigrants, but probably doesn’t have a lot of experience with people on visitors visas. Someone who’s not Canadian who’s gone through the process as a visitor would be ideal. Might be worth chasing down Europeans or other Aussies that have done it since Americans can just ride across the border.
  10. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    As previously mentioned, avoid BC, Manitoba, Ontario or Quebec.

Alberta or one of the Maritime provinces would likely be your best bet and best price for insurance.