Need tracks back to Tucson from end of AZDDR

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Teflon77m, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Teflon77m

Teflon77m Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are parking in Tucson about May 8 to ride the AZBDR and would like for a nice route back that’s different and mostly mountainous. I saw the thread about the Great Western Trail and downloaded the tracks but the thread and tracks are very old and there doesn’t seem to be any such thing as gpsxchange any more so I have no idea if the tracks are still valid anymore. Any suggestions or can anyone point me in the right direction. We will be riding a 690 and a drz400 and are or use to be above average riders but old now.
    Thanks
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode the GWT from Camp Verde north to Cameron about 5 years ago.

We used Countdown's tracks dated 2014. There were a couple of small glitches. But nothing too different than things guys are running into on the AZBDR.

If these are newer than yours, I would be happy to email them to you if you PM me your email address.

Actually the file I have has tracks for not only the GWT but also many other similar NS rides in Arizona.

I have tracks posted in the Rockies GPS thread for several trips that span much of AZ from North to South. Here is a link to one of the GWT trips:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/albuquerque-tombstone-grand-canyon-loop.1150793/

I see this trip gets pretty close to Tucson.

Last I heard, a few days ago, was that Navajo reservation roads were still closed due to Covid. This probably means all of the AZBDR east and north of the road atop Gray Mountain.
  3. Teflon77m

Teflon77m Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wbbnm, the GWT tracks I downloaded were the original ones on this site from his thread (says created March 26 2012) since I could not get into gpsxchange and I’m not real savy on this stuff but can click on a link and it installs on my guru maps. Would it be just as easy from an email? The GWT seems like it would be good except for some over lap but not a big deal
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:

I got my GWT GPX track file from GPSXchange in 2014 and labelled it as such. I believe it has more tracks than the earlier version, but maybe not for Arizona.

Anyway what I would send you is just a normal .gpx file that contains tracks and waypoints.

I don't know anything about guru. But you would handle my file just like the AZBDR gpx file.

I took another look at the GWT and saw it actually goes down the east side of Tucson.

I find going backwards on a road is usually like a whole different ride.

Edit: I took a look at the track in the GWT thread below here where you also posted.
    The track I have has probably 5x as many side track and option miles as the one posted on the first page there. But the part thru Tucson is the same.
  5. Teflon77m

Teflon77m Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Teflon77m

Teflon77m Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool let me see if I can figure out how to get you my email. I will try and pm you or whatever it’s called. Thanks