Needed a cheeseburger-Highway 128 and Highway 1.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by staudio, Jul 13, 2021.

1. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    20 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    Not just any cheeseburger, but a Regular-Double-Cheeseburger form Jenny's Giant Burgers in Fort Bragg CA. I'm glad they were able to survive the pandemic. I usually ride up there a 2 or 3 times a year to grab a burger. Only did it once in 2020 so I was overdue. (https://www.fortbraggrestaurants.com/jenny-s-giant-burger)

Since I've known for a while I was going to have Tuesday off, I had been trying to come up with a ride to do. Originally I wanted to head over and do a couple of the Sierra passes. But between the heat and the fires, thought I would stay cool and stick near the coast. Left San Rafael at 8am and headed north on Highway 101 for about an hour until I came to the exit for Highway 128. It was overcast with a temp around 54 degrees F.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Being a Tuesday there was very little traffic on Highway 128. If you're ever in the area you will not be disappointed taking this route. Though in the summer and on weekends you may run into traffic. I was lucky this particular day. Didn't take a lot of pics on Highway 128, I would of been stopping every couple of minutes to take a photo of the great twisty's and the scenery. Here's just a few examples of what to expect. The final section is relatively flat and winds its way through the Redwoods of Navarro River Redwoods State Park (sorry didn't take photos in that section).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

128 then dumps you onto Highway 1 about 30-miles south of Fort Bragg. Once I got into Fort Bragg low fuel light was on so I stopped to gas up before grabbing lunch. $4.69 a gallon, welcome to California !
    [​IMG]

And then it was cheeseburger time......it's not the most photogenic burger, but it's really really good.
    On weekends the place is usually packed. Being a Tuesday at 11am service was quick.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After the cheeseburger, it was time to head south on Highway 1 back towards Marin County. Wanted to stay along the coast to beat the heat inland. It stayed overcast most the way home, temps in the upper 50's to lower 60's and windy. Some random pics from Highway 1.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Plan was to stop at Stewarts Point for a comfort break and a coffee.....but they were closed. I have spoken with a few owners of small businesses in some of the coastal towns along Highway 1 in our area. They are having trouble finding people to hire, and in some cases have to close a day or 2 more than they would like and/or cut back business hours. Maybe things will change once some peoples pandemic unemployment runs out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you plan a trip on Highway 1 either in Northern California or Central California (Big Sur area) plan on a leisurely pace. On weekends traffic will certainly suck at times. Midweek trips are usually the best in terms of traffic. But no matter what time of year expect RV's and tourist in rental cars looking at the scenery and not the road at times. Problem with stopping to take photos is at times you find yourself having to pass the same RV/tourists time and time again.

Left the house at 8am, was home around 3:30. All in all a good day to be out on the bike.
    [​IMG]
  2. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice day out to me.. thx for the tip on the cool burger joint.. maybe next time I get there!
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice day trip.
  4. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great tip! Never heard of Jenny's but now I have an excuse to ride to Ft. Bragg. What I've discovered from my one billion or so trips to Tomales and Jenner for weekend morning coffee is to leave early and I'll have Hwy 1 mostly to myself. When I say early, I mean getting to Tomales around 8:30 or so. And strangely, heading north on 1 is less congested than going south, at least north of Bodega Bay. Weird. My theory is the coastal campers have packed up and want to head to SF for their exciting day in The City, while the northbound SF day trippers haven't made it across the bridge yet.

One thing about Stewart's Point Store...yup, their business hours can be a bit hit and miss. Especially the gas pumps. But SPS is worth going to for their BLT sandwiches, which are fantastic.
  5. staudio

Oddometer:
    Only stopped there for coffee and a scone....will have to give the BLT a try next time, thanks for the tip.

On Saturdays I try to get to Tomales by 8:30 or 9:00, and unless I'm going for a longer ride try to head back to San Rafael by 10:30 or 11am in the summer months. If the weather is nice West Marin can get a bit crowded in the afternoons. It's to the point I rarely ride in the area in the late afternoon on weekends.
    Friz Freleng likes this.
  6. DAD51

DAD51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No picture of Jenny's "Giant Burger"?
    Go back and get the Giant one.
    There is a huge Burger in my area called the HubCap.
    scott bailey's hibcap burger melbourne, ar.jpg
  7. staudio

Oddometer:
    That would put me into a week long food coma.....:rofl