1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Nelson Rigg Sierra bags - over seat straps essential?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Figur8t, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Figur8t

Figur8t n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello All, I've been looking for soft bags for my 1090r and for various reasons I've narrowed it down to the GL Mototrekk bags or the N-R Sierra bags. The only reason I've been leaning towards the GL bags is that it doesn't require straps running over the seat (bit uncomfortable for passengers) nor did I want to run them under the seat (requiring seat removal each time I took the bags off). I'm just wondering if anyone who has these bags would be worried about not using the over the seat straps... or maybe just using the back strap alone? Seems totally doable to me but I've not seen these bags up close and personal so looking for thoughts from those that own them.
    Thanks
  2. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Most bags of that design are basically supported by those over the seat straps.

not using them would reduce the payload capacity by a large margin I would think.
  3. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got a set of the NR Sierras. (They have been in and out of stock for $50 @ motostealz.com). I have racks, but I am also using the seat straps as well, simply because I don't feel like cutting them off. I think they would be fine without the seat straps, and definitely good with the rear one (one of my straps really isn't doing anything as it is loosely fed through my top rack). But I am just guessing. They have several straps to secure them to the rack, so I don't see a problem, other than they would likely sag a bit without the seat straps. I have only ridden with them a few times, so I can't speak to durability off road. But I am comfortable with the set up. (You could also run the straps under the seat if you are worried about a passenger).