Neon's urban vendor sidecar experiment

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Neon Black, May 26, 2013.

1. Neon Black

Neon Black Supertramp

Oddometer:
    I have an idea and I need some help getting it into motion. I want to make a vendor sidecar, like the millions of different ones I saw in Thailand. Something like this:

[​IMG]

I want to start a business out of something like this. I just rode my Honda vt500 Ascot across the states and ended up in Boston, MA, where I am currently sleeping on a friend's couch. I did get a job with a catering company, of which my seven-day work week begins this coming Wednesday, but I am kind of spontaneous and have these far-fetched ideas which I usually take off running at, and sometimes they don't just go completely south. The point is it would be dope.

I still need to learn tons about all the local regulations, and I won't be entirely surprised if the idea of getting the permissions to sell food or drink off the side of a motorcycle isn't totally ludicrous to start. Then I'll need to really think and decide what I will be selling from it. I was thinking something practical like a coffee and espresso bar with bagels and pastries and stuff, and better coffee than the starbucks everyone drinks. It would certainly be unique and I think that lots of people would really like to stop and get a quick pick-me-up right off the sidewalk, especially in the busy business and college areas and roads downtown.

First thing first (well, after making sure the idea is even possible of course) I need to build the sidecar. That is one of those things I need help with since I don't even know the first place to start when it comes to sidecars. Any guides on making sidecars that you know of, or websites that sell kits, any input/help would be appreciated.

And anyone who helps me get the ball rolling on this gets free coffee and high-fives for life.

-Neon Black
  2. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    sounds like a cool idea .... best of luck :freaky

PB
  3. Neon Black

Neon Black Supertramp

Oddometer:
    Here's a good picture of a basic foundation. I'd like to start with something like this:

[​IMG]

I want to know how that type of car is attached to the bike. I assume it is mounted at the frame, but does the bike lean? Where do I connect it and how do I measure it to my specific bike? These are the things i need to learn.
  4. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
  5. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Neon Black

Neon Black Supertramp

Oddometer:
  7. boardrider247

boardrider247 Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer:
    If you have no practical fabrication/building/sidecar experience off the shelf parts seem to be the most realistic solution.

There are several vendors who offer bolt on sidecar mounts and everything else needed. DMC is just one of them
    http://www.dmcsidecars.com/

Or you could buy a Ural ready to ride, take the tub off and bolt one of these on:
    [​IMG]

Good luck, keep this thread updated I would like to see where this idea goes:freaky
  8. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Formerly Known as Tork

Oddometer:
  9. AR-TRVLR

AR-TRVLR Bushpusher

Oddometer:
    The technical side seems easy - I think the hard part will be getting a vending permit.

The first place I'd start would be with whatever jurisdiction you planned on selling your wares in. They probably have very specific rules regarding what is allowed. Your better off trying to meet those rules upfront vs. trying to retrofit your junk to meet them after the fact...
  10. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Anything "DMC" is gonna be good. They also have mounting kits for popular bikes that would help the DIY type guy get moving in the right direction.

Why am I hungry for vendor treats now? :evil

Dang. Anyone got a corn dog or gator on a stick?
  11. DavePave

DavePave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right on about that :thumb
    Figure out the requirements/permits FIRST to see if you can/want to proceed :deal
    Otherwise the rest of this exercise could very well be a pointless waste of time, money and effort.
    JMO
  14. langloisandy

langloisandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check on your state laws regarding what is needed for permitting a cart. I did a ton of research on this and found an utter ASSLOAD of used non-permitted carts that could not be upgraded easily (if you are handy the extra sinks and such can be added.) NOTE: There is no consistency between states and you will loose your mind. Check on local permits for vending as well. Some towns are bastards about it.

My two cents, .000000000000029781 after the new tax plan.

Andy