1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Nepal- Rent or tour?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Doogle, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Shivanshu

Shivanshu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Indian Himalaya side you have Himachal Pradesh and Uttaranchal. There are many places where you can roam around without any permit or paper work. Just carry your passport with visa and keep few copies handy. If you want to go to border areas then Yes you do need permits for which you will have to contact the local administration deptt of that area.

If you want to travel to Nepal from India, you will need the VISA for entering the Country. You need to clarify it from the consulate in your area about it.

If you have to ride North then New Delhi is the only place where you will have ur flight. If you want then you can take a domestic flight from New Delhi to Chandigarh. Chandigarh when you google the map you will see its at foothills of Himalayas, that state is Himachal Pradesh.
    ruans187 likes this.
  2. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know when I wrote this. I just discovered that I didn't post it. So I'll click the "Post Reply" button this time.

It is pretty certain that at least I will be going. I may be with 1 or 2 others from the USA. We only talked a little at a HU rally last year. I have no particular month planned. And my time gone isn't a restraint. I would think about 1 month. I would like to see northern India and Nepal. I know I can't buy/own/ and ride a bike in India. So if I buy a bike in Nepal (expensive) I think I can ride it into India. I don't know about selling it in India. It may be better to rent in Nepal then fly to Delhi and rent. Or the other way around. I still need to see what weather conditions are like at elevations for each month.
  3. Shivanshu

Shivanshu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At present the snowfall has already started in the northern India and the winters are starting to set in. Till the end of June dont expect any major high motorable passes in Himalayas to be open ( as all remains closed due to snowfall), as it is this time we are expecting mroe snow. Well after June, July is the rainy season, where yes the beauty of the hills are amazing but again it may not be suitable and comfortable to ride, and also landslides are comming here. So you can basically try to visit from August to October mid. In this period you should be able to visit all the higher passes without any trouble.

I am not sure if you can sell the bike in India, if you have bought it from Nepal. You can do onething, fly to Nepal, rent bike their and tour. And then fly to India, rent bike here and move around. that way it would be more economical rather than puchasing the machine, its what i think.
  4. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, Delhi in May? Do you like heat: How about humidity? Mind-boggling pollution? Do you enjoy traveling during local school holidays?

I don't know where bikes are available outside of Delhi, but people do post about possibilities from time to time. I recently heard about a bike rental place opening in Manali, which would be a good place to start a trip north. Might save you some suffering down in the plains while the weather builds toward monsoon season.

India's huge, and there are plenty of places to go without leaving India, if that's your goal. At that time of year I'd be looking for elevation above all else. In fact, Nepal's not a bad destination....

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
  5. Doogle

Oddometer:
    This trip is secondary on my schedule this year. But still an almost definite. I am taking my son to the Alps area for 10 days around the end of August or the beginning of September. I've been spending my time researching that area recently. I'm starting to have time to look at Nepal/India now. I don't know much about the areas other than the Himalayas. And I don't know anything about them other than high and beautiful. I want to go before the end of August. I don't want to combine the 2 trips without coming home. I want to allow some time between for any possible issues that might come up. That is, allow time between to cure any possible health issues that might come up.

You are right Mark. I don't like heat and humidity. But you go when the window is open. I went through Africa 2 years ago in April. Not the preferred time. But still a great time. I greatly appreciated your posts when was riding to Ushuaia several years ago. If you recall the problems I was having then- intermittent engine stop. I think I didn't actually solve that problem until I was half way through Russia in 2013. I had a bad connection from my coil to the spark plug wire.
  6. motorrad3DP

motorrad3DP motorrad3DP@gmail.com

Oddometer:
    subscribing to an old thread here.

i’d be interested in links to other threads on this area and links on other areas travelled in a trip like this.

not sure where to start except to get links and start dreaming up a plan..
  7. Doogle

Oddometer:
    You didn't mention if time was a constraint. Are you retired? Trips like RTW and TDF require months.
    If you are taking a trip that is about a month or less, I would suggest renting is the only way to go. Bike shipping is expensive. And there are many countries that make it very difficult to take your own bike. Some require a carnet. See this Wiki link if you aren't familiar with it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnet_de_Passages_en_Douane

I rode northern India last year. My RR below:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/northern-india-and-nepal-till-october-3.1336198/

Then I went to Nepal:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/nepal-and-singapore-2018.1340410/

In 2017 I rented in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and Myanmar. Then I bought a new bike in China to ride there.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/renting-my-way-through-asia.1208680/
    95Monster and motorrad3DP like this.
  8. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    nice. thanks man. rtw one day maybe. not on the plate right now. just kind of compiling a list and doing some research at the moment.

/appreciate/ the links.

what’s TDF exactly?

any leads on renting in the area of nepal? anyone doing old BMW GS or PD rentals?!
  9. Doogle

Oddometer:
    TDF stands for Tierra Del Fuego- Argentina. It's the southern most city in the world. I'm surprised you haven't read about TDF since your odometer is 4533.
    Bikemandu is where I rented in KTM. My options were a Honda CRF 250 or a big fat Royal Enfield 500. For 3 weeks the Honda cost $56 a day. I think the Enfield was about 1/2 that. When traveling alone, having a lighter bike that is dependable is worth the extra cost.

You can find a lot of info in the Regional Forums area. https://advrider.com/f/forums/regional-forums.16/ Pick the area you want to see and start reading. You need to read RR's to know what there is to see.
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  10. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    thanks doogle.

i appreciate the help.

the regional forums are a little tricky at least for southeast asia? actually i am really not at all familiar with that area of the world so i guess nepal is in eurasia or something?

anyway, googling nepal didn’t turn up much.

TDF seems like a good trip from texas. i’m thinking a montana trip is in my future. maybe alaska.

so you are saying hit the regional forums, search the area and just read ride reports i guess? or use google and “advrider” and search that way?
  11. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Another easy way is to look at Epic Ride Reports. https://advrider.com/f/forums/ride-reports-epic-rides.99/
    Up on the right side where it says search, type Nepal, or what ever area you want info about. Epic rides are usually a month to a couple years long. Skim through RR's where you want to go. You will find some inmates write the way you like and others bore you. Some show pictures of every meal they ate. Others show a picture of their bike every time they splashed a little water. If you like a riders writing style, look at other RR's they have written. Click on their picture/pseudonym, then click profile, then postings. At the bottom of that page you can click Find all threads by Doogle. Or whoever you are reading about.
    When I am planning a trip, I Google (currently) "Norway must see." I make a list of places I would possibly like to see. I go to Google Maps and mark where they are. Then I try to connect the dots the best I can. It is a general guide to start with. I'm very,very flexible. The only definite place is where I start from. I meet and talk to people. Many times they say don't go there and don't miss this. If I am staying in hotels/hostels I rarely book it before I get there.
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  12. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    thanks doogle!
    for some dumb reason i was searching in REGIONAL forum. Epic Ride Reports returns results.
    duh.
    THANKS MAN
  13. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would suggest that you sign up for the HUBB here.
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/
    The best source of information when planning an RTW or other extended trip. To answer your question about renting an airhead GS in Nepal almost certainly not, I was there a couple of months ago and it was generally Royal Enfields, small Indian and Chinese bikes. To be honest I have ridden my GS in India and Nepal and the small trail bike I was riding this time was far more fun and easy to ride.
    Don't let this stop you planning a longer trip on your GS, I still use mine for them but would doubt that they are available to rent anywhere now due to their age and value.
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  14. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    wow. thanks for the info mark. i’m signed up for HUBB on facebook but i guess i need to check into the site. may have to give you a call at some point...
  15. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ridden in India, Nepal, Tibet Bhutan Myanmar and Thailand. If you want to see Nepal, rent in Kathmandu. Easily done and you don't mess with the Indian border. If you want a tour in the area, which is easier, if nothing else, try Himalayan Roadrunners.
  16. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I rented from Bikemandu. Riding alone I wanted a dependable Japanese bike. The 1 year old 250cc Honda was perfect. It cost twice as much as the Royal Enfield but was worth the extra cost. I had an Enfield in India. It was a daily problem.
  17. Popeyerider

Popeyerider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I rented a Motorcycle from Hearts and Tears a few years ago.
    Made a little amateur You Tube video

18. SmallYeti

SmallYeti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do live in Nepal since a couple of years. I would say its a safe country to just rent a bike and go exploring. But on the other hand in Nepal there will be always surprises and things will go wrong. Having a well organized tour will minimize your frustration and make your trip safer.
    To just rent a bike you can walk around in Thamel, Katmandu or Lakeside Pokhara and get a cheap bike in one of the shops. They are generally good for a ride around the city for a day or two, but I would not take them for a longer ride as they are often not well maintained.

I will go soon on a 1600km tour west of Pokhara and rent a bike for a friend coming over from "Adventure with Purpose". That is much more expensive than to take a bike from the street-shops, but they keep their bikes in good condition.
    I also asked at "Hearts and Tears" and they would not rent out a bike by itself in the main season, only organized tours