Nepal without a bloody Enfield

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Woody2627, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Looking at doing a guided tour in Nepal, but not on a bloody Enfield, i want to enjoy my ride. I saw an ad for a company that uses CRF250L's, but can't find it now. Can anyone suggest a company that uses bikes from this century?
  2. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    ...waits for the tumbleweeds to blow by in this dusty dry thread...

Gday mate, not sure if u did ur ride or not, but me (kiwi in kiwiland) and a Singaporian indian mate r off to ride the HImalayas for about 5wks this year in late July to end August. We had the same view as you: screw an Enfield. Bulky, breaky, heavy, expensive, totally the wrong ergonomics for mountain road riding. Plus they break a lot, even tho any 5yr old indian child could likely fix it on the roadside in 10minutes.

We are looking at Hero Impulse. Total dual-sport design...but only 150cc. The other option is a Hartford from Nepal. Same deal but 200cc.

Let me know what u came up with. People have done it on Bajaj and recommended not to. Enfields have the grunt (both hp and the groan of the rider each time it breaks).

Cheers, J
  3. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    No luck so far mate. Still looking. Thinking I might go back to South America instead. I would be interested in how you go though.
  4. theironhorse

theironhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:

well nepal tour might not be the right time for now however besides enfields you get loads of other options as most of the motorcycles manufactures/sold in india are also available in Nepal. keep me posted will help you out on the bike rental work..
  5. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    It's ok, given up on the idea, back to South America instead.
  6. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I felt very much like you did, but I was persuaded to go along on a 10 day tour of Northern India and Kashmir.

I ride a Multistrada 1200 GT so the idea of bumbling along on a Enfield was not appealing.

I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm not sure you could find a more suitable bike for the conditions up there. No, they're not fast, but on roads where you often can't go more than 30mph anyway (most of them) it's immaterial. I'm certain I couldn't have gotten through some of the passes on anything taller or heavier, and although our tour had its own mechanic, ANYONE up there can fix an Enfield. We had a few flat tires, clogged air filters and one wheel bearing failure over 1,000 miles of the gnarliest "roads" I've ever ridden (or walked on for that matter) and that's over 7 bikes (500 Bullet)

The scenery, people and food were simply incredible, and I'm very glad I didn't pass it up just because of the bikes on offer. I'm not quite ready to buy one, but I am looking at something light like the Ducati Scrambler to open up my terrain choices a bit.
  7. theironhorse

theironhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:

all the pain makes up for the beauty you see there.. ain't it ???