Neppi’s TT350 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neppi, Jan 2, 2020.

1. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heya peeps!

This just followed me home: 21A968A7-840D-4E61-806F-553E83DD9CD3.jpeg 468A833C-98D3-4B96-9AEF-63D9501E0853.jpeg
    It’s a TT350, year 2000 (sorry USA!) with less than 10,000 killiometers on the clock. Fully road legal (except the WOF, inspection, TÜV, MOT, whatever U call it in your neck of the Woods, is a few years old), everything seems to work all right and it’s got new-ish tires, chain / sprockets and brake pads up front.

Heck, it even came with this: B87D4054-6C30-48DF-A3CB-AFB4B0FA1841.jpeg
    Had a nice chat with the dude, took it for a few hundred meters test drive, haggled a bit and loaded on the trailer.

My last real bike was a Transalp 600, which I modded quite a bit and while that thing could mildly get you killed, this one is a whole another animal! I mean, man, even if it just sits there on the trailer on the side stand and all tied up, just looking at it makes you wanna wheelie your ass off! And I’m defenetely not into that kinda stuff...

Plan:
    - Clean it (This thing has been on a dairy farm and is literally full of shit!)
    - Check everything
    - Fix everything (the only thing I could find that was broken is the fuel tap. And I broke it myself using pliers trying to close it. It was stuck open, now it’s stuck between On and Res without the lever)
    - Change all the liquids / filters
    - Mildly adventurize it
    - ”Ride it like you stole it!” Well, with the price I paid, I kinda feel like I did!

I’m super bad at taking pics when I’m working on stuff, but I’ll try n do my best, ok?

I have to say I’m a bit excited!

Stay tuned...

Cheers!

Neppi Of Finland in NZ
  2. Dutch idiot

Dutch idiot Crazy, not stupid

Oddometer:
    Nice purchase. :nod
  3. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B031C8D5-3961-497E-9A02-E8F6188271C8.jpeg E439A163-59C2-4460-939F-858944CEE421.jpeg E63AAFB6-F1C2-4B74-AD9C-421652FFC26E.jpeg
  4. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn’t do anything before the WOF. Just checked that the thing has lights, blinkers and brakes, which of the lights didn’t work properly at idle due to iffy battery. Heck, I didn’t even know if it had a battery!

Front brake pads were ok and the rear brake was decent (I even checked the adjustment before I left home).

She didn’t want to idle too well, but other than that it was a fun ride to the workshop. The guy took it for a spin, came back and said ”the rear brake is not working!”

eh? The adjusting wingnut was missing! Man, I just checked it a minute ago!

The other things he failed me were some obvious things, like the loose handgrips falling apart, brake / clutch levers being like this 817F8D6A-ED1B-404C-960D-6FF023D96810.jpeg
    and the tail light not working at all, like at all. And I’d just checked that too!

I scored a new 6V battery (what kinda manufacturer puts a 6V system in an bike on year 2000?!? 1960 maybe, but the millenium!!! C’mooooon!!!) from another bike shop at the Mount (Maunganui) and collected some other bits n bobs from all over the place, so I can go back tomorrow and get the WOF finished.

Pulled the side cover out and found this: F8A6EFF3-49BF-46F6-A50F-306C3A235EEB.jpeg
    I have no idea what it is, but it’s neatly in a Pill Box! Nice!

Took a sneak peak into the airbox, as there are so many horror PO stories on this forum about the stuff people have found inside their airboxes... Luckily I found this: FD614AE3-5007-4BB1-9D94-27A2DA23A1FC.jpeg
    I mean, atleast that’s a filter, right?

Oh, I also got me a new oil filter and I’ll get that stuff sorted too tonight, time allowing.

Thank you for watching! Please like and subscribe below! Oops. Wrong forum!
  5. Dutch idiot

Oddometer:
    There might be a fuse in that pill box. Maybe the previous owner wanted to seal it, hence the silicon.
  6. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Pill Box was the brain for the USB/ciggy lighter socket thingie. It had a few broken bits on the circuit board, so I pulled it out.

Fuel tap cost me $18 and works now like it should.

Still haven’t done the WOF, but been riding the thing quite a bit! Of course not on public roads, that would be illegal, right. 250ACFB1-6630-41CE-B742-0F46D69EBD39.jpeg
    I found an oil leak behind the stator and the oil check window is cracked aswell and leaking. 0C3BF271-230D-4E58-BEB3-2C0D0D2C3BC0.jpeg
    I changed the oil (used a motorbike oil this time as I had that at hand) and the stuff that came out looked pretty tired! Fresh filter and I cleaned up the screen too. I’m planning to do the next oil change a bit too early just to flush the motor a bit.

What else?

Got some risers and had to have new cables made as I couldn’t find longer ones easy enough. Man, these guys nowadays just stare their screens and know nothing. I asked in a few well knowned big shops and they go ”nah, bro, have to order from AU. Takes a few weeks and are stock lenght”. I suggested that we could go there at the back and compare a few cables to my ones and see if there’s something close enough. ”Nah, bro...”

So there’s this place in Auckland that makes custom cables. Of course one could just go to bicycle shop and buy the stuff to make them by one’s self, but I needed them ”yesterday”, so there wasn’t too many options for me. Custom made 10cm longer and still a bit less $$$ than OEM.

The clutch cable I had was too short (almost impossible to adjust or even remove) and all gunked up anyway and the WD40 I dripped there for a couple of days didn’t help much at all, so I really needed a new cable anyway.

Throttle works now smoother too!

I bought some stuff from Trademe, like panniers (the previous ones went with the Transalp) and Barkbusters. I took the long twistie with some gravel sections in it togo get the Barkbusters yesterday, when this happened... A91CB10C-7C19-458E-93AA-6E30108AF2E5.jpeg
    A7AB4D6B-8C60-4287-863F-99A2C244C0CF.jpeg
    The retaining clip is still there, not just very reliable. I was parked there, eating my müslibar, trying to phone someone to come with a trailer or atleast some tools (the sprocket cover screws are so stripped that the Leatherman couldn’t open them. I do have proper tools, but they were elsewhere... silly me) when this guy with a Honda (Accord, not AT or so) pulls over. He lives right there and offered to go get his truck and Drive me home. With the bike. An hour, one way. ”OK, Cool”. He didn’t even allow me to fill his tank!

THANK YOU, mr Whatshisname!!!

Anywayzzz... TT is back on the table, waiting for the shops to open on Monday so I can get a new sprocket and the clip.

But what a bike! Absolutely awesome! Has all the power in the world, great torque and it just tries to get me killed all the time! Takes me to these random side roads, makes me put my heel on the ground in the corners and on those super twisty (closed from public, of course!) country roads makes me ride sooo much faster than anybody, or -Police, would ever recommend!

I think I might have to put her for sale and get me something with more brain instead!

120km/h without any struggle and holds it for a day. The fuel / oil consumption is quite remarkable on those speeds thou. Not that I know anything about that... Ü

Cheers!

I’ll try to keep em comin’...
  7. Dutch idiot

Oddometer:
    "I do have proper tools, but they were elsewhere... silly me) when this guy with a Honda (Accord, not AT or so) pulls over. He lives right there and offered to go get his truck and Drive me home. With the bike. An hour, one way. ”OK, Cool”. He didn’t even allow me to fill his tank!"
    So it's really true, you really meet the nicest people on a Honda. Even when you're on a Yamaha. :-)
    JensEskildsen and neppi like this.
  8. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kiwis are super friendly in general, but man, when they’re on Honda, that’s the top max!!! Ü
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  9. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tail light didn’t work, or was quite intermittent, so I took it apart 7B56B8CA-B914-4878-BB6F-6A2E649F4EF4.jpeg A7DEE1F4-E3B0-4426-9617-DA0C2FB8FAFC.jpeg
    The soldering of the ground ring had gone south and the connectors were loose and full of chit. After a bit of soldering, cleaning and crimping the game is on again.

Talking about electrixxx... E69B5FA6-4715-4531-866B-9B8B37DA77ED.jpeg 99A90617-A5DB-4EAB-ACF8-7E9F43A4B7D2.jpeg BE478D41-EE32-4344-8191-F72E27B53C61.jpeg
  10. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nuttin much happened here as I’ve been away, camping with kids.

Before I left I took the stator cover off, pulled the stator out and ordered the retaining thingies for the front sprocket.

Am trying to get the seals for the stator axle, output shaft and gear shaft replaced now as I’m in there anyway. I’ll make the gasket for the cover from sheet stuff.

Any recipe for a case saver, anyone?
  11. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AF5D3936-2F4A-4282-B9AA-BDA373934402.jpeg
    Got the seal job finally started. Couldn’t swap them all today as the local engineering shop didn’t have the right sizes on the shelf. He ordered them but received one right two wrong ones. I picked up the one and whacked it in. Super easy to take the old one out and as easy to put the new one in. I’ve seen some bad bad bad ones, so this was a relief.

Made the stator cover gasket from sheet stuff. 8343EC99-4A10-47D2-8A27-1E8C6988A71F.jpeg
    And spent the rest of the night mucking around with the snapped-off-superglued-in-then-snapped-off-again bit that holds the sprocket cover screwhole in it. You know, the one on top of the output shaft?

This: 72FF3577-0CD1-4EF2-85CC-6436B167914F.jpeg
    It came off with the cover. I used JBWeld equivalent to stick it back there. Might have to revisit it tomorrow when I can see something. It was getting dark...

I’ll get the rest of the seals tomorrow and will continue from here then.

Oh, did I mention that I got the retaining thingie yesterday aswell? And ordered the oil level sight glass.

And soldered the blinker wires back together. You know, the ones in that one pic up there? Yup. Those.

Attached Files:

Dutch idiot likes this.
  12. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ED4491A8-BE71-4743-BCFF-C301182056B2.jpeg
    Ugly, I know, but I’ll sand it down (yeah, right) one of these days.

Seals in, sprocket and clip in.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  13. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C6974D22-1338-43D9-BCDA-03CE643F4BD6.jpeg
    Case back in. I wish I had more time on my clock... or money...

Funny detail (or a lesson to learn) was that I had the rear axle loose, pushed the wheel all the way in, put the chain around the front sprocket and the whole thing on the output shaft. Retainer thingie in, new gasket and the cover on, bolts tight, chain adjusters on their marks, axle tight and then checked the tightness of the chain just because that’s something you do even you know you didn’t change the sprockets, chain or adjustment whatnots.

Well, the chain was surprisingly super tight and I started investigating it. I found out that someone didn’t check the routing of the said chain when reassembling it and it ran on the wrong side of the lower roller. Back the axle again, remove the roller, put everything back together in the RIGHT order. This time the chain felt kinda better... Practical physics for dummies part 1.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  14. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to change that chain anyway, before it happens again. :-)
  15. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah, the chain is all sweet! It was just me not paying attention when I put it back together. I had the rear wheel pushed all up front and I had a ton of chain hanging loose there as I had the front sprocket off and chain pushed out of the way...

cheers!
  16. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally found some time to work on the bike a bit.

The blinkers were not working properly, but were intermittent and when they were actually blinking, they would go from 0-100 in two secs and then just stay on without flashing. Not Cool. image.jpg

A new 6V relay would cost $19nz and I was going to order it, but found (!) a LED flasher relay in my garage. Must’ve bought it for the Transalp back in the day. Tried it on and to my surprise the signals now behave like they should. It’s a 12V one and none of my bulbs are LED... Didn’t try it with the motor running yet, but should work the same. image.jpg

I also cleaned the signal bulb holders / sockets / bases and the bulbs and put some dielectric grease everywhere.

Started making a seat thingie: A8A7778D-810E-4BF0-91E0-FE6DCA4C8EC9.jpeg
    Still needs a bit of fiddling around, but the idea is there. A piece of doormat, a few picture hooks and some safety wire and we’re done.
  17. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh. I started the bike the other day, just for the fun of it, and the choke (I know it’s not a choke, alright!) plunger button was stuck. I had to use pliers to put the choke on. Now the thing doesn’t idle without it.

Looks like I have to pull the carbs out again...
    paul martin likes this.
  18. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Opened up the leaky leaky rocker cover. One of the cams had marks on it from running dry (or something) in some point. Wasn’t bad thou, couldn’t catch them with my nail. I wiped everything and put the thing back together with a touch of the right kind of gasket stuff. Not Yamabond, but same shit - differend package. The rubber gasket wasn’t super hard and I’m not worried about it. I’ll change it the next time I have to visit the cams.

I also cleaned the remaining electrical connectors from the shitloads of, well, shit that was in them and put dielectric grease everywhere. This bike has seen a lot of farms, as the PO used it as his work horse. He’s doing releasing / substituting on dairy farms and said that after just a couple of weeks of trying to keep the bike clean he gave up... Ü

I pulled out the air cleaner. It was quite a mess and the air box looks ”a bit dirty” too. No pics. Was gettin dark. I think I’ll get a new Unifilter or something along those lines.

Oh, I pulled out the spark plug and replaced it with shiny and new unit. Set the gap to spec first.

Evo II of the seat thingie saw the light aswell. Cut off 2cm of width and relocated the hooks. Attached them with zip-ties this time. Makes the thingie soooo much lighter thus giving me approx 13 more hp, right?
  19. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clutch cover out to swap the cracked oil level sight glass 67CBE370-D646-4667-A6D0-66854D57FF90.jpeg
    This fella D71A7C96-8083-4686-BEC2-170289DDB75C.jpeg
    Someone’s been here before 0D98F085-8829-4DA1-B63C-97B4539E1C02.jpeg
    Something missing? 17B449D3-F7AA-46EA-8B3B-16EF53C550D1.jpeg
    First time ever I didn’t have to figure out what goes where in the end 49C2FFBE-FCBA-4B37-9697-F2336ECEA015.jpeg
  20. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found out that the other side was still wet. Put clutch side together, swapped the bike around and opened the other side again. All the seals I’d swapped were dry, but there was still oil drops under __________________ .