Nest Thermostats

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Beelzabob, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Beelzabob

Beelzabob I don't feel tardy.

Oddometer:
    Anyone have one? Thought? Seems pretty expensive.
  2. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Bovino

Bovino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use tado°. Expensive, yes, but it works a treat. I have honestly never touched a thermostat in the 3 winters we are using them now. I never came back to a cold house once.

The tado° uses current outside temperatures (provided by Weather Channel and the like), doing so it learns how much time and energy your house needs to heat up or cool down.The app uses your location and learns your habits. Say you have to have a beer with a buddy on your way home from work - it’ll notice and not bother heating till you are on the move again. It just gets it right.The bathroom radiator one is the shit though. It swiches off as soon as you open the window (a sudden drop in temperature makes it know that), cranks up if humidity goes up. Works flawless.
    The only thing that pisses me off is the thermostats eat batteries like crazy. Gotta change them twice a year.

With our paybacks of the gas and electric the thermostats were paid for after the 2nd year!
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed one this fall so I could keep an eye on the house while we’re gone. It’s worked very well. One caveat, if you have a dual fuel system (or other complex system) that is older, don’t count on their support being able to help you wire it properly. I have a heat pump with a backup propane furnace, made by Rheem. After nest sent me a diagram that essentially connected power supply directly to ground :yikes I spent hours working with them to try to come up with the right connections. They gave up and told me to hire an installer. I figured it out by myself by looking at the furnace schematic.

Between the nest and the Ring alarm I know not only when the power goes out (happens a lot where we live), but also how long the UPS I have my internet router plugged into lasts. It has given me peace of mind to have this info and keep the house from freezing, so in my mind it’s worth every penny!
  5. CJames0587

CJames0587 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put in a new Carrier gas furnace and air conditioner so I decided it was time to upgrade to a smart thermostat as well. Just bought a Nest Thermostat E and three sensors to put around the house. Not cheap but I'm hoping to make up the cost in my heating bill eventually, we'll see.
  6. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still prefer a modern (not WIFI or Bluetooth) programmable t-stat. Too easy to get access to the inside of the house if there are too many unsecured devices.
    MikeyT likes this.
  7. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't use any of the smart features of the Nest. I turned all of that off. Not knocking the Nest, but my schedule is so wacky that there's no way it could figure out when to turn the temperature up or down. I have a friend who installed a couple Nest thermostats in her house, and she says the Nest quickly learned her wake-up-and-go-to-work routine and she's impressed with how well it anticipates her desired temperatures in different parts of her home.

Mostly, what I wanted was remote access to my thermostat. I can monitor the inside temperature, and I can turn it on on my way home from work, or wherever I might be.

Actually, the main reason I first bought it was that my bedroom was on a different level than where the thermostat was located in my house, and I simply wanted to be able to turn up the temperature in the morning before I got up and out of bed.

I can say that I'm impressed by the build quality of the unit. It feels great in your hand. It looks fantastic. And the UI is top notch in my opinion.

I can't compare it to other smart thermostats as I've never used any of them. I got my Nest from a guy on Craigslist and paid half of retail. It's true that they're ridiculously expensive.

Jamie
  8. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve had the Nest in my last two houses. It works well and I have no issues with it. Being able to adjust temp from my recliner while surfing ADV on the iPad is a plus. Wife still can’t figure it out, but that’s okay with me.
  9. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    We tried to install one, but our system uses a proprietory data link, so only their thermostats.
  10. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    What system is that?
  11. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I work in computer security and encryption and hold a bunch of patents in that area.

I avoid "smart" devices with cloud back ends like Nest. The security of the devices is usually terrible, their protocls are not secure, and the back end cloud stuff is terribly insecure. They are tracking your data and using or selling it. Google bought Nest for a reason and the data is the reason. Your data. Since the system is poorly implemented it will shut off when it can't connect to the cloud. Nothing like having the thermostat lock up when power's out. Nest can shut down the thermostats when they feel like it (read the EULA- you don't even own the thermostat). They did that to a competing product when they bought the company.... bricked all their units.

Fuck that science fiction distopian shit.

We set the thermostat to where we're comfortable and leave it there. If it needs adjusting I can get up and walk over there.
  12. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    Same here, mine is a "Carrier Infinity System", requires a Carrier Infinity thermostat that talks to the main unit with a serial data connection.
    phillyrube likes this.
  13. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carrier Infinity
  14. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a software developer and software security engineer.... all of my devices are dumb. No alexa, no nest, no video cameras that allow remote viewing, nothing. I've done code reviews on thermostats and cameras, and the things I've seen scare the hell out of me. The code is so bad I'm surprised the stuff even works. The camera software in particular was written without any thought to security at all. It was added as an afterthought, and had so many holes you could pilot oil tankers through them. A child could hack most of this stuff. Maybe not alexa, but a thermostat or security camera? EASY.

Charles.
  15. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    I have a first-gen Nest, and honestly, it’s disappointing. There’s nothing smart or learning about it, and I’ve had it for four years now, or maybe five. Only good thing is being able to adjust the temp remotely, but there are cheaper options if you want to do that.
  16. Skellington

Skellington Pro Coffee Drinker

Oddometer:
    I just installed a Nest thermostat about a month ago, works great so far. However what I thought would be a fairly simple install turned into something a bit more complicated. Had to do a little research on my wiring since the Nest was telling me to wire it without a common wire but in fact my furnace did need the common wire hooked up. Once done has been working fine.
    Yeah I agree though they are expensive.
  17. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    Apart from the shit software / cloud only connection side, go onto some HVAC forums and read what the experts have to say about nest and how they run, then make up your own mind. In short, if you want smart thermostat, pick Honeywell, or one made by a real HVAC company. it may not be as good “smart wise” as nest, but it won’t fuckup / overload your system and will actually be cheaper on AC / heat bills unlike Nest. Also read and understand how Nest gets power if you don’t have a 5th wire, Honeywell and some others do it without running equipment, Nest will run your equipment just to get power.
  18. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    It works just fine when it can't connect to the cloud, and the thermostat works fine when power is out (it has a backup battery), but the furnace obviously doesn't as it requires power for the blower. But thanks for playing with the appeal to authority (patents!).
    CA_Strom and Bueller like this.
  19. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod

I’ve been gone for 2.5 months. We’ve had several power outages, one lasting about 24 hrs. In every case it has fired up on its own, reconnected to the network and started working exactly as it was programmed to. My phone still talks to it and the house temp has been maintained.
  20. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I had a gen 2 nest for a few months before I replaced it. The big thing I liked about it was being able to monitor the temp from afar. When I got it I was traveling every other week and it was nice to be able to see what was happening at home in the winter.

That said the reason I got rid of it was the battery charging issue mentioned earlier. It cycled my oil furnace enough that it carboned up the burner so bad it stopped working only 4 months after being cleaned and about 6 months after installing the nest, As fate would have it was away at the time during a cold snap and had no heat for like a day before I noticed it. You all know the rest.....

My furnace guy told me that it carboned up because it was cycling for 30 seconds at a time for hours on end and we figured out with the help of nest that it was the battery charging that was doing it. According to the furnace guy that short cycle without coming up to temp was the cause.

At his suggestion I replaced it with an echobee which can be worked to a separate power source. He installed a second transformer to run it and it has been running problem free for a couple years now and i no more carbon buildup issues. I actually like this unit better, it has little remote temp sensors that Havel helped get a better temp balance across my house. It can keep my house at an average of 68 instead of 68 in the one room that the thermostat is in. I have a single zone forced hot air and I used to have cold spots in the house, those are way better now with these sensors place around the house. It’s not perfect but way better.

On another note, check with your local utility on rebates for smart thermostats, here in Mass they will give you like 125 back on a echobee and I think 150 on a nest. Cuts the price in half.
    CA_Strom likes this.