1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Nevada BDR - recent intel?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MoikonaBoik, Jun 7, 2020.

1. MoikonaBoik

MoikonaBoik Imagining whirled peas

Oddometer:
    Looking at doing the northern section of the NVBDR (rougly Gold Point to Jarbidge) in a week or so. If you have any current beta on the route please share. Particularly interested in snowpack or lack thereof. Thanks.
  2. MoikonaBoik

Oddometer:
    Nope? Nada? For others who may be interested, I called Jarbidge today and they said the Charleston road opened yesterday - "difficult to get through but if you're on a bike... ummm... ok".
    Rips Millar and sharpie1 like this.
  3. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Anymore intel on the Charleston section? Is the snow gone yet? I’ll be there on 6/26/2020
  4. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Snow drifts were not passable a few days ago near Bear Creek Summit heading out of Jarbidge. Road was definitely not open.
    MoikonaBoik and dino702 like this.
  5. MoikonaBoik

Oddometer:
    Update: got home last night. We arrived at Elko on Monday June 15th and were surprised to hear that the Charleston-Jarbidge road was not, and had not been, open. Bad intel from the previous week. Also the weather was bad, with thunderstorms predicted and chilly temperatures. There is an alternate route to go around the closed passes but I did not have adequate maps. Taking account of the weather, pushing on had "bad idea" written all over it.
    In summary, we trailered out dual sports to do the northern section, going north from Tonopah. Sections 4 and 5 (Tonopah - Austin - Elko) were uneventful and easy. To compensate for bailing on the Jarbidge finale we decided to reverse Section 5 with a diversion for an overnight stay in Eureka. Then back to Tonopah. 800 miles give or take, all good stuff. Nothing to be concerned about on knobbied dual sports. In some sections I was glad not to be on a GS mastodon, and in some sections I wondered why the route planners chose to take us through crappy cow paddocks when there was a perfectly nice dirt road running parallel just a short distance away... but I digress.
    If you are on a GS and are mastodonically challenged feel free to PM me for specifics on the places where a wallow is on the cards.
    Cheers to all.
    dino702 likes this.
  6. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Thank u! I shoulda been on the NVBDR right now. Freaking C19. So, I'll be on it in Sept, then IDBDR. 790 R so no mastadon issues.
    Any other tips advice?
  7. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I’ll be on the last section next Friday 6/26 and have the alt route downloaded in the GPS if the snow drifts are still there. One question I have is, how deep are the water crossings right now? I can only imagine them getting deeper as the snow pack melts away right now with the warmer weather?
  8. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Perfect conditions statewide last week. Low water crossings and most silt was dried hard.
    dino702 and MoikonaBoik like this.
  9. MoikonaBoik

Oddometer:
    Good idea. I intend to go back and ride the final section to Jarbidge and on to the IDBDR. As for other tips - the rest of the northern sections were straightforward as I said. I should mention that we short-cut a couple of loops that made no sense to us. In Section 5 (Austin to Elko) about 30 - 40 miles south of Elko the route follows three sides of a rectangle (it's obvious on the map). We took the direct road north to avoid this diversion and saved 20 miles off an already long day. The 15 miles or so south of that diversion is uninspiring so we were happy enough to take the shortcut.
    dino702 and Migolito like this.
  10. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I considered shortcutting the same area a couple years ago, but really glad I didn't. Nice trails and scenery out there. You'll have to go back now.
    dino702 and MoikonaBoik like this.
  11. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Agreed don’t short course that section. NVBDR just completed all sections leading into Jarbridge are open look for full ride report in regional section of forums coming soon.
    dave6253 and MoikonaBoik like this.