Nevada - food for the soul: delicious dirt on big bikes

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BigWan, Aug 10, 2015.

1. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Excellent! The videos are really good, not too long and action packed. Cottonwood Canyon is on the list!
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    WOW Gramp-Z you're mighty brave.....or mighty foolish, I think the second. I wouldn't mess with LittleWan if I were you. Don't you know dynamite come in small packages. :lol3

Thanks BigWan, Bartek, and LittleWan for the awesome ride report. Your reports are always the best!

I like the rapid tire change and the friend Matt made while Bartek was busy working.

I'll be waiting on the edge of my seat for your return to Nevada with LittleWan. :lurk :wink:
    gregoblv likes this.
  3. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ladybug , you must not have seen all my praises of Kelly in their other threads . Just thought i would back up Matt's request on post # 151 . Otherwise she might have to go up a size in helmet , they are pretty expensive ! (Don't tell Mat I think Kelly is the bestest !)
    gregoblv and Ladybug like this.
  4. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome report guys - thanks for sharing

MZ
  5. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along for your ride. Only one documemented flat on a trip like that, you boys know how to take care of your equipment and make it go the distance .... Outstanding !!!
  6. Kamu

Kamu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super Cool! Thanks for bringing us along!

What's the stats on your bikes, year, mileage, etc. ?
  7. Lima Tango

Lima Tango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome report! One question tho, Im curious about your routes, how do you find these? I saw your thanks for MasterMarine. Is there anything you can share about routing?

Thanks,
    LT
  8. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine ever selling my bike, mostly because I don't think anyone would buy it. :lol3
    Maybe if I had the right ad: Adult owned, never been in the dirt and never dropped. Some minor blemishes and superficial scratches. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work though.
    She might be ugly, but it would be tough to find a more sorted bike. :evil

Thanks for being a part of the report! :thumb

Hey RRR, it's never too late, good to see you.:D

Thanks,
    There's nothing we like better than killing work productivity. :lol2

Good eye, RumRunner!

Here's the deal, Ceasar found a guy on Ebay who was selling HP4s - 3 for $99. Too good a price to to pass up, so we got some.
    Here's my opinion of the tire. It''s a good tire for the first 700 - 800 miles. After that the side walls start to soften and the side knobs begin to chunk off. It just goes down hill after that.
    Bartek was happy the ride ended when it did, because his HP4 was actively trying to kill him. :lol3
    To be fair to his tire, it had over 3000 miles on it.
    That was my last HP4 and I can't wait to throw it away. :clap
    gregoblv likes this.
  9. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gramp-z,
    Your too funny and too kind, Gods no less. :jack
    Don't worry, I'll let Kelly know that she did an adequate job.
    :lol3

Thanks Ladybug,
    Kelly's knows Gramp-Z is just having fun and is a huge supporter. She wanted to write in herself, but the power went off before she had a chance.
    There's a new wildfire near home that took out some power lines.

I'm going to get her out there on her bike. She's almost ready!:lift :ricky

Thanks again :beer
    gregoblv likes this.
  10. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave,
    As you know, it's not easy to get folks to watch moto vids, shorter is better.

Thanks Mike :wave

Thanks, there's a certain amount of luck in there too. :D

You're welcome,
    My bike is a 2007 990 S with 50,000 miles on the clock. The suspension is still WP, re-valved and re-sprung to go hard. Lots of other knick knacks on the bike, but that's the meat of it.
    Bartek is on a 2011 R with blue Dakar plastics, he's at 35,000 ish miles. His suspension is like mine and so is the rest of the bike. He is running a CPR filter though.

I think the best way to find good routes is to read good ride reports by people who ride the stuff you want to ride. There's a ton of information contained in those reports, if you're really looking. Even this report has satellite photos of every where we went.
    Once you have the general areas you want to see, your next stop is google earth. Don't be shy about giving other people :lol3 a shout on ADV for a little advice.
    For Nevada, Countdown works hard to post gps tracks for all to use at gpsexchange.
    Hope that helps.
    gregoblv likes this.
  11. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report. I'd do that route.....but not on the 990. More 500 ish for me. You clearly have the height and leg advantage that most may not. Will you be able to post GPS trax at some point? That would be phenomenal.

Cheers
  12. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most Excellent ! I am awed with this country , I have spent a lot of time in Nevada yet I was very surprised of the beauty your ride took us through. Thanks for the trip... Special Thanks goes to Lil Wan for her entertainment and the Spot Maps , You Done Good !
  13. mtnbikeboy

mtnbikeboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An excellent Wan report as always. :clap

One quick question, how much of this route would be doable with a mildly built (33-35s) smaller SUV (XJ, FJ60/80)?
  14. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Ride report over. Scribe sad!
    gregoblv likes this.
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    The other direction for me. :deal

:webers

Hey Matt, I've got a 90/100-21 Scorpion MX Hard 486 on the BMW...it kind of looks like one of those junky Kenda's, but it has knobs down the center to cut down on the gravel wander and is holding up really good. I ordered some more of them, but AmericanMotoTire said it wasn't available at the time, I haven't looked at any other vendors.

[​IMG]
  16. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Whew, my butt is sore and I am trashed; great ride and report all in one, full of fun! The three of you do it right. Time may not be on my side, but your reports help fill the gap between the few rides I get to enjoy.

Thanks, Kelly, Matt, and Bartek
  17. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Very nice indeed, really makes me want to plan a week or two and go ride this area.
  18. rdmxcrash

rdmxcrash n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report. After reading this and spending a week in Minden the itch to get back in the saddle is off the charts. Definitely makes me even more undecided on what my next bike is going to be. Last time I rode around the northern Nevada desert was well over 10 years ago. Being currently bikeless is no fun, but that is going to change soon!
  19. OscarFox

OscarFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn, I'm in Fallon, prime spot to do this type of ride. Now I just need the right bike! Thanks for the inspiration, awesome report!
  20. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Hey guys.
    Thanks for all the nice replies. I thought this would be on page 3 by now.
    I went back home to be with Kelly. Currently the power is still out and we're doing this by generator.
    We packed up our belongings last night (i.e., bikes and gear and bunny) and are waiting to see what happens.
    No evacuation orders...yet.
    Fires suck. :kboom

Hi Chris,
    Whether you ride a 990 or a 500, the important thing is to go do it.
    Might be a little tame on a 500exc, but it would be a blast on an XT225. :evil
    GPS tracks...undecided.
    There's enough info in the report for someone to recreate it. :dunno

Thanks for being there from the beginning. Glad you found Nevada to be as beautiful as we did.
    Kelly says, thanks - she's glad you found that stuff entertaining. :D

I don't really speak SUV, but if I had to guess, I think it's all doable with a decent FJ.
    There were some really great camping spots.

Ride report over. BigWan happy! :rofl

Hey Rob,
    I haven't tried the Scorpion MX Hard. I'd be interested in hearing how it holds up towards the end of its life.
    My go-to front is the Scorpion Rally. I blame Ceasar for the HP4 debacle. :wink:

Thanks for reading, Critic!
    The only payment we get for these rides is nice comments like yours.
    Glad you rode along with us. By the way, if your butt is sore...you aren't standing enough! :lol3

Go, go, go!
    You won't regret it.

Welcome to the asylum!
    Well, you may have noticed that I'm partial to the 990....
    That being said, over the years we've inspired many to try the 9X0 and I'm not sure how many of them want their money back. :lol2
    Hope you find a good bike soon.

Fallon is great! But make sand your favorite (pin it!).
    Hope you also find a good bike soon.
    Thanks for reading.

gregoblv likes this.