Nevada - food for the soul: delicious dirt on big bikes

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BigWan, Aug 10, 2015.

1. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR Matt. Got here late as usual but managed to get through it. Looks like a really fun ride. I hope the fires are staying clear of your place. Thanks for posting the RR. As for mine to the Black Rock Desert, tell Kelly it doesn't hold a candle to this and I've been lazy. Ended up going on my own and the first ride on the 690 so I was basically getting an idea of what to expect in regards to performance and fuel range expectations. Had a fun and good ride but can't hold a candle to yours. Love the 690
  2. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    " By the way, if your butt is sore...you aren't standing enough! :lol3"

Wish I could, but these 70 yr old knees are not hearing it! But, I saw the Doc yesterday; he gave meet a round of steroids with script for new pain pills. So, I will test them out on my favorite enduro/DS next weekend; not on the 990. The 300xcw will do just fine. It has unbelievable torque.
  3. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Thanks Matt, and you too Bartek. Looks like you guys had a blast, even with the tentless-tarp camping, and monster thunderstorms. It takes things like that, or blood donations to the trail gods, to make it epic. Be glad that it was tentless camping.
    :kurt

Most of all, thanks for taking the time and investing the effort to take us all along. Muchas gracias dood,
    J.
  4. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sent you a pm regarding the fire!
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Been looking for and update on the fire situation. Hoping all is OK. Watching it on the news but they're not telling me about the Wans.
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Fantastic RR as always! I always enjoy someone actually utilizing these big Katooms for what they were intended. :clap
  7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Got an email from Kelly, they left quickly Friday night with the bunny, went back Saturday and got all of the motorcycles, then back yesterday for important papers...they have their priorities straight. :lol3

BikeGuy is on the southern end of the fire, he got the notice sooner, boarded the dog, bikes to storage and then he went to live at the fairgrounds in his fifth wheel.
    gregoblv likes this.
  8. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    After all of the miles of smiles you have given Hope all is OK with you guys
  9. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks for the update LarryBoy. Fire season is awful at best but when there are people I know or know of in the areas I worry about them.

Yes, the Wans do have their priorities right. That would have been my order of evacuation too.

Sending lots of positive thoughts down to CA to keep everyone safe.
  10. dickosaurus

dickosaurus Geezer Coalition Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for another of the very best ride reports that grace these pages. And I hope you guys are ok.
  11. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Awesome reporting, BigWan! Man you guys were flying in the videos, especially the one with Bartek blasting through the trees. Incredible riding skills.

I hoping everything works out for you guys regarding the fire situation.

Hi, LittleWan.:raabia I can't wait to see your next report; from the pilot's seat.
  12. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fire has kicked back up in the area a little. I think they will be ok, doesn't look to moving their direction as of now. I have had many friends that lost houses over the weekend but houses can be replaced! Its amazing seeing the support not only from our small town but also people driving from hours away to lend a hand or make a donation! sorry for the hijack...Just had to share.
    gregoblv and 250Keith like this.
  13. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man this is just fabulous riding. I've always wanted to experience this area but don't have anyone to do it with. Would I be totally crazy to try this loop or perhaps just parts of it alone on GSW with TKCs? Love the high grasslands and the wide open spaces. Thanks.
  14. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Thanks Matt and Kelly for another fine RR.
    Hope all works out for you with all those fires up there.
  15. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    mat and kel, hope you guys are ok.

as in the past, your RR is always a good wan.
  16. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    All my good thoughts going your way.
  17. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Add mine to that list too. Nasty business, those fires. My riding partner is a fireman & he is up there fighting that fire.
  18. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bit of rain in the fire area... hopefully that will turn the tide on the fire.
  19. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Rock Liu

Oddometer:
    Enjoying following along with your report..and luv the video u posted so much.Anyway,stay safe buddy!
  20. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    Sorry for the delayed response - Thank you for the hopes, support, and well wishes! We're still living out of a duffle bag and haven't been thinking about ride reports.
    Things are looking good - the fire is 49% contained and they are aiming for full containment next week.
    The fire crews did an amazing job of holding the lines (even in 30mph+ winds). It's incredible how they battled the fire under such scary conditions.
    We are so grateful to the firefighters, law enforcement, emergency workers, and everyone who responded to protect the area.
    (VFR, please thank your friend for us! :bow:raabia)

We're still in the bay area (work) so I don't know if it's raining up there. I sure hope so.
    Advrockrider, we're so sorry that you have friends who have lost their homes. Hopefully they were able to grab pets and important items.
    Let us know if there's anything we can help them with.
    I hope we all keep thinking of everyone who lost their homes and of the survivors of the Valley fire, too.
    It sounds like living among the trees will be terrifying from now on, all over the west.
    By the way, BikeGuy is back at home now - with the power on. :thumb Glad you're okay, Mr. D!

Dave62538675309 - I'm looking forward to the ride, but don't hold your breath for a report...
    I'm so slow, it would be a real snoozefest. :snore
    We're just waiting for YOU to get out there and showcase Nevada's beauty with some glamour shots!

Thanks again to everyone reading the report, I know it meant a lot to Matt to have your encouragement!

Now, go ride!

:ricky
    dave6253 and gregoblv like this.