Nevada Hemi'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wachs, Jun 30, 2014.

1. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    It’s raining steady now but it’s not cold and we have an idea where we are. Ripping down towards Murphy, Jim and I both hit a cattle guard on the gas and the rear tire spins slipping sideways a little bit. Guess metal pipes are extra slick went wet. :lol3

[​IMG]

Wish my computer was still working.

[​IMG]

Down into Murphy we parked under a tree before heading back towards Jarbidge. Nice duct tape repair job on the Froggtoggs Colin!

[​IMG]

The guy with the umbrella was a trip. Don’t know if what he was saying was true but even if it was HALF true . . . probably not.

Funny how some little towns are completely different than others. Like Jarbidge has a welcoming vibe and it’s only been fun to visit the community while Murphy is just weird and not a place to hang out.

Plus, the hot spring is closed and doesn’t sound like it will open up again anytime soon.

[​IMG]

More steady rain, can’t really tell where we are going, nobody wants to get out the map and it looks socked in all around so we decide to head back towards Jarbidge.

[​IMG]

Almost forgot this part - before we took off that morning Tony investigated his exhaust leak and found the culprit.

[​IMG]

This breather was blowing hot exhaust right onto the portion of his Acerbis tank that was facing the engine. It had developed a seeping fuel leak!!

[​IMG]

He brought some old school ski shop technology to the repair by carefully melting some plastic bags into the hole and it held the rest of the trip! Nice one Tony!

[​IMG]

Everyone headed out before I could get my helmet on so Tony and I had a blast catching up the group. Figured they were the ice breakers for any vehicular traffic that might be coming the other way. Saw one rig and flat tracked the dust free road back to town.

[​IMG]

Oh that’s where those ear plugs ended up. :huh :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waterproof! :clap:clap:clap

[​IMG]

Three other riders came cruising in from Elko. Can’t remember their ADV handles but nice fellas making big miles and staying in motels. They gave us some excellent local knowledge which we put to good use in the next couple days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the barefoot prints on the deck.

[​IMG]

The power in Jarbidge is out but the bar is open!

[​IMG]

It’s not cold and there’s only us dirt bikers in the house. We’re hoping the power comes back on which it does. We threw a bunch of soaking wet gear in the dryer, there’s nothing like putting on warm, dry gear!

[​IMG]

I was not here for this happening but was told it was spectacular and hilarious!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rain let up a bit but the forecast was for snow if not down here then certainly on the mountain above.

[​IMG]

End of day 3.

more . . .
  2. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Great RR so far!:clap If we have time, we're coming home this way.
  3. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Nice riding :thumb
  4. wachs

Oddometer:

THX! With the exception of not being able to soak at Murphy, it's worth it! Hope you guys have a great trip back. :clap

THX!
  5. wachs

Oddometer:
    Thanks EZ!

There's something about you in the next report!

Duo hawk! Good one! Yeah the Dromedary bag works but like you mentioned, it permeates so you can't put it near anything like your back pack or a fire. The GPS thing - I gotta get one but just don't want to get out my glasses every time I have to look at it. Thanks, the bags work great!
  6. wachs

Oddometer:
    Day 4

It rained hard during the night. We gathered up for fuel in town before heading up over the hill towards Elko. Conditions are prefect with the heavy rain and we’re all looking forward to seeing if it snowed above.

[​IMG]

This could an epic day and everyone is stoked to get back on the trail.

[​IMG]

The big gravel road out of town was a blast to ride upwards. Light snow and hail was falling but it should probably lighten up before long.

[​IMG]

Jim bombing up the hill

[​IMG]

Colin -

[​IMG]

Seven bikes are hard to keep moving especially when some of the guys have not seen this part of the country, we also want to savor this summer snow.

[​IMG]

A few guys went up to see the view westward from this little summit

[​IMG]

Eventually, we’ll be down in that desert country which should be soaked and fast.

[​IMG]

Some old codger in the cafe this morning told us there’d be 2 feet of snow up here and another foot of mud beneath that - not quite.

[​IMG]

Jeremy’s injuries aren’t slowing him down too much, at least I can keep up with him - sorta.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dirt is delicious!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like squalls will be rolling through our progress to Elko

[​IMG]

Jim -

[​IMG]

Armed with those other guys’ route input we rode fast and fun dirt toward our lunch stop.

[​IMG]

Ken is navigating us pretty much error-free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tony’s XRR sounds way better and he’s riding that thing as intended

[​IMG]

This has never happened to us before. We were kind leap-frogging and lost track of who was ahead and how many guys were behind. At one point, I closed a gate thinking I was last but Tony was still coming behind - oops, sorry about that Tony.

[​IMG]

I saw Jim stopped to snap a pic and turned around just in time to see his flash go off.

[​IMG]

The Tractionaters are not loving the mud or perhaps I’m not riding fast enough for them to clean out but they became the TractionHaters for a section.

[​IMG]

We will need to get fuel in Carlin, NV before the big reach to Elko.

[​IMG]

It’s raining again and believe it or not, this the ‘road’.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don’t remember if this was before Carlin or after as there are no shots of that fuel stop but look at that soil!

[​IMG]

Jeremy -

[​IMG]

That was a particularly fun section eh? :clap:clap:clap

[​IMG]

Really inspiring soils today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a little break in the weather before Elko

[​IMG]

I think we could see the highway down there

[​IMG]

The weather has more in store for us we are headed back into it.

[​IMG]

This was kinda funny as a couple bikes ahead of me had blown this corner so I waited to snap a pic but Jeremy didn’t fall for it.

[​IMG]

Lush, green desert - is there such a thing?

Today there is!

[​IMG]

What a treat to ride all this without dust, plus it’s easy to see where guys in front of you have gone.

[​IMG]

Another squall is descending upon us.

[​IMG]

It’s moving in fast now

[​IMG]

Somehow we became separated again so Colin, Tony and I waited up on this little bluff top and it started snowing pretty hard (for June).

[​IMG]

The precipitation was accompanied by wind and lightning.

I do not like lightning.

[​IMG]

Tony rolled back to see where the other guys were. Colin and I stayed and waited. Apparently, we had closed another gate and the snow had covered tracks and those guys didn’t know to continue through.

Thanks for the retrieval Tony!

[​IMG]

We got everyone together, the squall blew over and back to the project.

[​IMG]

More gates

[​IMG]

Excellent riding this morning as we made it into Elko.

[​IMG]

We actually knew right where to go for damn good taco truck food.

[​IMG]

We could see another big blow coming towards town and found a Starbucks to hang out in for a bit. That place needed a serious mopping from our muddy boots - sorry about that.

[​IMG]

We need to find a place to camp so take off out of town for a few miles on Hwy 225 north to an obscure road that goes right through a ranch headquarters and skirts some pastures and hay fields. It sure looks like we were trespassing but according to the map it’s legitimate.

[​IMG]

It doesn’t look too bad here but it is a rocky mofo in places - plus, it’s raining again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those with tents set up in the drizzle near a nice stream that we could filter water from.

[​IMG]

Got a warm sage brush fire going as the sun went down.

[​IMG]

Only 129 miles today but it was a classic day on the bikes through some incredible country that topped out around 8500' but mostly above 5500'.

more . . .
  7. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mighty fine!

[​IMG]
  8. oregonlmd

oregonlmd Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer:
    Oh, man. That's how its done!

Snow in late June. Wow.
  9. DualSport650

DualSport650 Lucky Burglar

Oddometer:
    Oh man, SICK ride report WOX. :eek1

That looks like yummy delicious dirt! :thumb
  10. tele-steve

tele-steve ya' mon

Oddometer:
    The Peoples Republic- Rocky Mountain Edition
    It is great to see another report of yours. They've served as great inspiration for our own trips out that direction. Nevada never disappoints!
    Looking forward to the rest of it:clap:clap:clap
  11. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice job, you have a great style of tellin the adventure, and the pics rock also!!
  12. dakardad

dakardad Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer:
    I share your assessment of the Motoz Desert HT's. I found them great on rock, gravel and sand. True to Motoz description they are NOT mud tires.
    Nice RR. Great country to ride in. I'm afraid its a rare freedom these days.

You should recognize my avatar.
    :pynd(where am I? Ahhh, thataway!)
  13. wachs

Oddometer:
    Thanks

Not 60 days (like your last one) but we tried!

Thx - yeah we were expecting hot and sunny. I took some of the wrong clothes and the wring 'tent' but it wasn't very cold
  14. wachs

Oddometer:
    NO DUST!

Thanks - I'm working on it and the next 6 days with another group.

Thanks! Glad some people actually read the words!
  15. wachs

Oddometer:

Sooooo good to hear it wasn't just me 'cause at one point I was actually dragging a foot through the goo trying to keep the pig upright. Those guys were getting a good laugh watching me fumble around on those things. At one point Jim said he couldn't ride that slow and I figured picking up the pace might help them clean out but they just aren't good in the mud. Everything else? They're great, no flats for me and they held up for 12 days of abuse.
  16. wachs

Oddometer:
    Thankfully I kept a cryptic journal and even with that I’ve screwed up some of the details and left out a couple of flat tires that happened days earlier. Jim got one about the same time Tyler flatted but everyone took care of that and we kept rolling.

DAY 5 -

The sun came out warm and bright this morning and we took our time drying stuff out before roasting some righteous tracks towards Carlin, NV for fuel (unlike what I reported the day before, Carlin was the fuel after Elko). Not a cloud in the sky!

[​IMG]

Well, at first it was cloudless. We had camped just up stream form here. Saw an otter (?) swimming here while we waited for everyone to take off.

[​IMG]

Jeremy must be OK as he’s wheelying around while we waited for the rest of the group.

[​IMG]

The temps are still comfortable and the forecast was for warm weather the rest of the week.

[​IMG]

Coming over a low pass, Jim spotted our campsite from a couple years ago. It was pouring down rain on that trip too.

[​IMG]

We are actually on a track that we’d ridden and recognized this cool hunting cabin in the middle of nowhere.

[​IMG]

Even though this is familiar country, it looks different year to year and season to season.

[​IMG]

That Husky did some landscaping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last time we came through here, we were headed for Battle Mountain and got a guided tour of the Newmont Mine but were told there’s no way they let us through there again.

We did ride a big mining road down into Carlin. It popped out by this Nevada prison camp - YIKES!

[​IMG]

After fueling in Carlin and getting some sketchy local route info, we had to ride 11 miles of mind numbing, rubber wrecking pavement to hopefully avoid the Newmont mine and get over towards Battle Mountain. We’ll need fuel again and won’t be able to achieve our goal for the next day without it. Since we got a late start, everyone is ready to balst some big gravel to get west. Along the way we came upon this shepherd and his sizable flock of sheep.

[​IMG]

He was probably from South America as our Spanish didn’t really help. He had several nice dogs and some really cool boots.

[​IMG]

Big dust devil amongst his herd.

[​IMG]

We has stopped to talk to a rancher who told us there was gas possible in Midas but we didn’t know for sure. Many high speed miles later, Tony stopped into a random BLM office right about 5:30 for some intel. They said there in fact, is gas in Midas so we took the 3 mile diversion up into a valley at the base of some nice looking mountains to investigate.

What’s this?

[​IMG]

Cool little community that I had no idea existed - I thought it was a ghost town or some weirdo place like Tuscarora but about 20 people live here year ‘round.

[​IMG]

Interesting lady runs the ‘saloon’ and not only sold us some fuel but had frosty cold brews and a decent wine for sale too. Do not count on gas here - she could only part with 10 gallons and said she does not normally stock it for sale.

The MotoZ is tough and holding up well.

[​IMG]

The old cowboy sitting on the porch originally told us the road through town doesn’t go anywhere but then when we said we were headed for Paradise Valley changed his story - ‘Oh yeah, that road goes over the mountain will eventually get you right into PV’.

Great, thanks!

[​IMG]

On the way up the hill, we saw a spring and some firewood so after camp was all set up, we rolled back down for water and the wood.

[​IMG]

Baby horny toad

[​IMG]

Midas is down in that valley behind Ken’s tent.

[​IMG]

Jeremy and Tyler went down for more firewood - he's gotta be fine as that road was not particularly easy to ride especially with a load like this.

[​IMG]

This was a great campsite, no bugs, no wind and not likely that anyone is coming up the road.

[​IMG]

As it does, the sun went down and we enjoyed this peaceful scene

[​IMG]

Had a little fire, finished up the libations and hit the hay.

[​IMG]

150 miles today. We could’ve gone further but this puts us in a strategic position to complete our trip and route through some new to us country tomorrow.

more . . .
  17. Romanousky

Romanousky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Work Wachs! Epic country with some beautiful open fast terrain....I gotta get over there soon!
  18. wachs

Oddometer:
    10-4 thx , better wait til it rains - too dusty now!

Oh jeez. Thanks for that mega comp'. GasPipe, BigDog and many others are what inspired the . . .
  19. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Could have been Basque sheep herders.

2013 ride
    They were on horseback. The dogs were more than protective of the sheep. We killed the motors and waited for them to move off.
  20. wachs

Oddometer:

You could be right about that and we did the same.