Nevada to Montana and back 09

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rwamf, Oct 5, 2009.

1. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Sonymalc and I , riding our 07 BMW Xchallenge's took off early on the 26th heading out on dirt to Middlegate for breakfast,
    Our bikes:
    We added Koplin 1.7gal Fuel jugs, both us are running 15/50 gearing, We used no oil, two rear tires each, The range we got on the stock tank was any where from 120 to 150 miles, and we needed the extra about 5 times on the ride. We both had allot of stuff loaded and the AirShock worked great, The air shock is very much misunderstood, I do not want to change it to a standard shock. The heated grips came in very handy on the cold mornings and the Delorme PN40 GPS was awesome. Even after we changed our minds and where not going to use the final three days of tracks the Lil' Delorme routed us on some very nice dirt roads.
    I ran Wolfman Bags all around and they held up and worked great, Malcolm ran a rear RevPack Tour Pack and it also proved to be a very good bag, he ran the Wolfman tank and Tank side bags. I was amazed at all the stuff we carried on these bikes, They handled it very well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Saw a lone Antelope that wanted to race, he won.
    [​IMG]
    then to Austin for gas, with a little fast fun on the way
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Out of Austin we headed for Elko for the night, Got to Elko at about 5:30
    Day one mileage 389.
    [​IMG]
    Leaving from Elko we headed north up to Jarbidge which is great,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but from there to Mountain home ID was long, fast and boring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will add more later tonight.
  2. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    More please! :ricky

Beautiful country!!
  3. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, is that Charleston/Jarbidge rd?
  4. MadMax

MadMax Marveling...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting your trip pix. Looking forward to the rest.
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Up in Montana about the same time we were leaving NV Paul, Nathan (FatHalf) and Steve left Thompson Falls
    [​IMG]
    They headed on an offroad route to Riggins for their first night, and after a cool morning start they headed up the Salmon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and while we had a simple lunch in Mountain Home they were having lunch in McCall
    [​IMG]
    After lunch in Mountain Home we headed up around Anderson Ranch Res, then through Featherville, Alanta and on to Idaho City for the night,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While we were still riding My brother, Nathan and Steve where having a cold one at Trudy's

[​IMG]
  7. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Yes
    [​IMG]
  8. Sonymalc

Sonymalc I'm Just Here

Oddometer:
    So Day 3, We woke up to 24 degree morning leaving Idaho City. It was a cold start to the morning. Started out of town on a freshly watered down road. Well they were doing construction down the road but before we got to that point we all went past a sheriff who motioned to us to slow down. OOPS. At least he didn't stop us.

We found a sunny spot to warm up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode on into Yellow Pine for gas and lunch. I found the gas pump but it seemed to have seen better days. I started to look around for somebody and one of the old timers in town told me gas was over near him. So I rode over looking for the pump and he yells no just park it right here. They have jugs. So we all filled up are bikes using the jugs and then ate lunch over at the grill.
    [​IMG]
    The Real Hamburger
    [​IMG]

After lunch we rode out of Yellow Pine and up a rode that had a sign saying it was closed. The lead man RWAMF did not see this sign. The rest of us just ignored it. Well it was a real sign because they were building a bridge and it was not complete. I was at the time bringing up the rear and pulled up to the pack bs'ing with the man incharge talking bikes and something about a KTM rally in Riggins to RWAMF and my uncle. He eventully let us pass telling us to stay on one of the ribs of the bridge. If he hadnt let us pass we would have had to go around to McCall to get into Riggins.

We made it over the pass into Elk Creek which was a rather nice ride.
    [​IMG]
    A newer bridge leading into Elk Creek.
    [​IMG]
    Elk Creek Cemetery
    [​IMG]
    Modern Isolated Homes in Elk Creek
    [​IMG]
    The Town of Warren.
    [​IMG]
    Warrens Space Program (they may just have it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Switch Backs down into Riggins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Road leading into Riggins is under construction and is closed untill 6pm. We waited at the bridge till 6,
    [​IMG]
    and had a,
    [​IMG]

Got into Riggins and got checked in at our motel, walked over to dinner that evening. We all sat down and looked at the menu. I saw that they had a 1lb hamburger. And under the burger selection they said double your burger for 3.25, Hmmmm, well everyone was saying that I sould go for it. Then the waitress said that it was so big that only 2 people in the History of the Red Rock Cafe have ever finished it. How could I refuse the challenge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I am the 3rd person to finish the burger and get a T-shirt for doing so. No we didnt get photo proof but anyone there can verify this.

I am however the 1st person to order dessert after finishing the 2lb'er.
    [​IMG]
    And do this
    [​IMG]
  9. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
  10. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent stuff!

I love that part of NV and Idaho. Lots of good singletrackin' between Featherville and Atlanta :thumb

My stomach hurts after looking at that burger...and dessert! Holy criminy...

WoodsChick
  11. FatHalf

FatHalf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As part of the group leaving from Montana to Idaho City, the ride was great. Mostly dirt w/ a mix of some really sweet twisty asphalt made the ride. To pick up from Sonymalc, I had to get back home for work and decided to burn ashpalt from Idaho City up the the Salmon river, over Lost Trail Pass, and back to Thompson Falls, leaving the group to their dirt endeavors.
    Had 24deg temps and the sun in my face, so pics of the Sawtooths were tough to get.
    [​IMG]
    Looking across the road.
    [​IMG]
    Did I mention it was a little chilly?
    [​IMG]
    Found this marker:
    [​IMG]

Finally got a decent angle on the Sawtooths..
    [​IMG]

Met some fellow ADVrs in Stanley ID, but they seemed busy getting packed up for the day, and I knew I had to make tracks, so I moved on w/ only a bit of a chat. Finally made it over into some sunshine and took a much needed "butt break" along the Salmon River.
    [​IMG]

Found a cool, old pump along the shore.
    [​IMG]

And some bighorn sheep playing around on the rocks.
    [​IMG]

After a short break, it was on to putting on miles. Made it back home just as darkness was starting to take over. Had a great ride and enjoyed getting to share it with good friends and family.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Millionaires can support themselves.

Oddometer:

Wow. :huh

I hope you print that out and hang it in your living room, rwamf. :thumb

I'll be watching this one for sure!!!!

13. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    Man, that is some gorgeous country.

I've spent most of my life in the West, living ~50 years in various places in New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, and Wyoming and travelling everywhere else I could. No matter how many other places I visit or live, the Rocky Mountain West will always be HOME. My current place of residence in Virginia is gorgeous and I like it here a lot, but seriously there is no place like HOME.

My personal experience of riding everywhere I could legally go (and a few it wasn't :evil ) and ride reports like this make me marvel at people who have never gotten off the asphalt and headed for the horizon on a dualsport bike. They have no idea how small the paved world is, do they? I have seen people turn around and back-track when the asphalt ended. "OH MY GOD, IT'S A DIRT ROAD!!!!". I say, See ya later, git out of the way, Yeehawwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, so I'm missing the riding back HOME :lol3 . Thanks for the ride report!

Doug
  14. acasper805

acasper805 Its all about the stories

Oddometer:
    Robert and Malcom thanks for sharing your pics. I hope theres more.
    See ya next week in Bishop.

Adam
  15. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    On with the report
    We left Riggins early heading west above the Snake to the west and the Salmon on the east.
    [​IMG]
    and then down to Whitebird
    [​IMG]
    After Breakfast in Graingeville we took Highway to Kooskie
    [​IMG]
    The road over to Superior MT is great
    [​IMG]
    Found this great ST on the other side of the river
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But the big GS could not take it, so we will do some other day
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Great Stuff! :lurk :lurk

Hodakaguy
  17. 2laneblacktop

2laneblacktop Tarmac

Oddometer:
    Excellent !!,...

18. Sonymalc

Sonymalc I'm Just Here

Oddometer:
    The end of the 4th day brought us to our turn around destination in Thompson Falls MT.

On the 5th day we rested, visited with family and preped our bikes for the trip home. We shipped up fresh rubber for our rears, (which was a very good idea)
    [​IMG]

The day went by way too quick. We woke and had breakfast. Went out to the shop and worked away on the bikes.
    [​IMG]

Before we knew it, it was past lunch, so it was delivered to us in the shop.

After working on the bikes it was time for some much needed recreation and relaxation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was dinner time and off to bed to rest up for our early and cold start to head home.
  19. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    Oh man I like that shop :tb . That is one fine toybox. Garage envy is an ugly, terrible thing and I apologize for my lustful, covetous thoughts.

Yeah, what you been doin' to them rear tires, Man? :evil

Doug
  20. drwnorth

drwnorth n00b

Oddometer:
    Very freakin' awesome experience for sure !

Some cool pics, thanks for sharing...