New 1190R Owner...A couple of questions

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by RussL, Jul 8, 2019.

1. RussL

RussL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I recently picked up a 2016 1190R in what appeared to be pretty pristine condition. Only 3900 miles on the clock and looked in excellent condition. The owner was very nice, definitely a rider, answered all my questions (very up front). The bike has some nice upgrades including the air box, sas plates and a few other adventure diddies. It was obviously was well cared for.

Before I ask my questions, yes, I have done lots of searches and tried to glean as much info without bugging the inmates needlessly. :-) So, the questions...

1) Front end wobble...the bike runs smooth and solid until I get into the triple digits. Noticeable at 110 mph, for sure, but not unmanageable. So, is this normal/reasonable given the larger front wheel and adventure tires? My first inclination is to check wheel balance. Also, it has Motoz Tractionators which are a little worn, as well. They could be contributing. As for reasonability, should I be concerned about steering head bearing tightness or out of true wheels given the smooth ride up to triple digits? Should I expect to run this beast well beyond 100mph without wobble? Perhaps with more street oriented tires? (not tyres… :-) )

2) Brakes (part 1)...being a long time inmate of the GSpot variety, I've been riding an '06 R1200GS with servo brakes for 13 years. Compared to my GS, the 1190 brakes feel like mush. I'm just trying to determine if my expectations are out of line, going from power brakes back to conventional, or if I have a real issue or not. Although low mileage, the bike is 3 years old. Again, my inclination is to change all the brake fluid and reassess? Sound about right, or is there something else I should check out?

4) Brakes (part 2)...front in dive. Ahhh, that lovely BMW telelever with front shock can spoil you. Grab all the front brake you want and no dive. Grab my 1190 and holy dive, Batman! It's like learning to ride all over again. Now, I've ridden plenty of sport bikes in my time, so I'm not new to dive, but this seem to be a little excessive. Previous owner was about my size, so I can't imagine the front end set up is too out of whack, unless it was never tuned in to his size/weight. Is this a matter of dialing in the front fork suspension or beefing up the springs, or is there something else to consider?

Thanks for entertaining the long post of oft asked questions...and especially for helpful responses.
    Lewilewi likes this.
  2. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider

Oddometer:
    1. It’s an enormous dirt bike. 2. 110 on a MotoZ Knobby is not recommend. It’s gonna wobble. 3. Get the suspension tuned to your weight. 1190 is soft to begin with. BTW the BMW front Shitalever is heavy and sucks at best.
    4. Enjoy a bike with real power and suspension! You’re gonna love it!
    4bikes, Wodger63 and Lewilewi like this.
  3. RussL

RussL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying the hell out of it!
    Lewilewi and thirsty 1 like this.
  4. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Service the brakes, and change the fluid. Minimum.

I use a brembo rcs front master cylinder, a bit of overkill but I had a new one spare of a race bike, as the stock one failed in a minor tumble.

Ebc hh pads minimum, gpfax front hh rear if really keen.. brembo discs, galfers are crap, this combo will provide huge 1 finger stopping power, even fully loaded two up,

The handling theres tons on this forum about it here my experience, I'm still experimenting tho

https://advrider.com/f/threads/my-1290-s-a-r-high-speed-weave-trouble-shooting-to-cure.1314926/
  5. willibauer

willibauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as said above...but i wouldn't change the disks, I'd say the stock ones are ok, you probably wont notice the change.
    The dive is quite huge, yes. Guess there's not much one can do about it, prob. getting the fork adjusted to your weight will help. Haven't done that by now, but planning to.
  6. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get some stiffer springs. Jeff Slavens has all the available options, superb quality and great price. He’s also very helpful with giving the best spring-rate if you indicate your weight and riding.
    In addition, increasing the oil visc. slightly will also help.
    I did both on my 1190R and that helped a lot.
    0.61 springs and visc. approx. 5.5 (4 is OEM).
    At that time around 100kg in full riding gear.
    Lewilewi likes this.
  7. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    The stock ones you have are probably galfer....

Trust me they are shite, mine warped beyond belief at 1000 miles and had lots of manufacturing defects from new, rusty as fcuk too ... ktm gave me brembo replacements under warranty, there faultless

If your serious about brakes avoid galfer... there cheap crap, read the statement some were on there web site about their discs are supposed to rust...wtf..... youl never see s
    A rusty brembo or ebc disc that's 1000 miles old

I now have full trust and defect free brembo set up and superb ebc pads..

Brembo fitted ...4000 miles later impeccable no rust no warp stonking 1 finger braking....

Obviously I have other mods, but the disks are un undeniably part of the whole set up

https://galferusa.com/technical/maintenance-tips

No mention here about why they warp so much and have so many manufacturing defects...

Shite
    Barekat likes this.
  8. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming you are running correct tyre pressures for your use and your sags are correct for your weight...

Start here,
  9. willibauer

willibauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Lewilewi: YMMV, but as I wrote, I'm quite happy with the disks - and other who ride 1190/1290 in our group are too.
    Nothing warped going the alps up and down, only some fading on turini when they got real hot, but no problems else - 30.000 done. Maybe I'm driving too slow then, dunno.
  10. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    As long as the rider is happy with them and there servicing them well stay with them.,

You should not get any fade really, perhaps s fluid change and if your riding so hard the pads are that hot then better pads
  11. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to have EBC discs on my old Honda 400, that would go completely orange in a matter of hours if parked in the rain. Used to be standard for race type discs 20 years ago, maybe things have changed...
  12. RussL

RussL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I appreciate you all enduring questions akin to "what's the best oil..." :-)
  13. kuyohtay

kuyohtay Adventurer

Oddometer:

I always use Motul. It’s simply the best.

Ed
    bigjohnintexas likes this.
  14. thed00d

thed00d n00b

Oddometer:
    1. Adjusting the suspension properly is a huge factor, setting sag, and adjusting the rebound to what works for your type of riding makes the stock setup very versatile IMO.

2. Brake dive will get better up front with properly adjusted suspension.
  15. Milekone

Milekone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Idk if someone mentioned it ready, heavy dirt focused bikes will have weaker initial grab than street focused bikes. They do not do prevent locking up wheels off road. Something I've noticed over the ears of going through multie brands and styles.
  16. Spout

Spout English GStleman

Oddometer:
    Check your pistons are free. I had a couple sticking after one winters riding.
  17. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re. mushy brakes, just installed a set of MetalGear sintered front pads. Now I have one finger stopping power! Seriously! Lever is still like it’s been, i.e "mushy" but one finger is now enough for a full stop. They bite much better than OEM.
  18. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Do the caliper centering procedure in your manual under front wheel removal to improve the lever travel. Knobby tires over a hundred MPH and you are asking for trouble
  19. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a much better lever feel after I changed the brake fluid and bleed the brakes.
    Agree with what Brian said, I'm very pedantic with the caliper alignment and my front wheels spins essentially drag free.