New 1200GS VS New 1200GSA Ride Comparison

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tcomet, Apr 19, 2006.

1. tcomet

tcomet Fire Maker

Oddometer:
    I just bought the new 1200 GSA and had the unfortunate experience of having the ignition lock up and am now waiting for parts to come from Germany - BUMMER! I now find myself on a demo GS and am amazed at the differences between these bikes.

-There was ABS brakes on both bikes but the GS which is an '04 does the old pulse thing big time which I too would find very annoying. The first thing I did when I got the GSA was go to the nearest parking lot and try this new fangled ABS. I was very impressed. Totally smooth, no lock up, no pulse. The bike actually went up on its front wheel with no skid (my friend says this is called a Chinese Wheelie - no offense if you are Chinese). My last BMW was an R100/7 ages ago and had no ABS (obviously) so this was all new to me.

-The seat is way more comfortable in the GSA and somehow the riding position is more relaxed and I was more comfortable for longer.

-I thought it was the same engine on both bikes but the GSA felt smoother at low speed. Sitting idling at a stop light the GS had the old vibrate chunk, chunk thing wheras the GSA sort of purred. Also more vitrating parts (windscreen, fairing etc.) on the GS over the GSA.

This was what I noticed so far. Like I said, I am new to these more modern bikes so both feel absolutely amazing and I am obviously partial to my GSA as it is just that - mine. Hope this informantion is useful to someone...
  2. Reg01

Reg01 Got Adventure?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info!
  3. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    Comet,
    So I guess you did not ride both for a good long ride b4 your purchase?
  4. ADVkitty

ADVkitty bike-ified!

Oddometer:
    Can you call it useful that I want to go order a GSA instead of the GS that I was planning to get? I hate waiting!
  5. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

new to the ADV forum. I am hopefully on the verge of re-entering the (motorized) biking world after a prolonged absence and the GS is my first choice. I say GS because with a 33" inseam I don't think the GSA would be wise :doh .

Being in Germany I read a ton about the perpetual top seller here and I suspect a source of at least some of the differences you describe (difference in wind protection notwithstanding) are attributable to changes that have been implemented between 04 and now and furthermore suspect that an 06GS-06GSA comparo would have yielded fewer differences.

Mostly I view your experience as positive for future buyers of both variants as it shows BMW responds to the criticisms and improves their product (like the stupid location of the rear brake switch and kickstand kill switch on previous editions). :clap Even if they do it in a low key way since more would be too much like admitting the 14000 Euro bikes they sold weren't perfect from day 1...

Cheers
  6. jackass

jackass weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oddometer:
    So you can't start the bike or you can't take the key out? What do you do if this happens while camping in BFE?
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same thing you do if ANY bike breaks in BFE!:deal :D

Jim :brow
  8. jackass

jackass weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oddometer:
    Oh
  9. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Put two identical bikes together one will shake and one wont. Depends on lots of things doesnt it? Like when it was last serviced.
    I do wonder if the seat and different bars make things a bit less vibey for the rider. Anyhow, I have a different seat on my 12lite and it makes a huge difference to some undefinable 'feel'.
    I must say on my 05 I havent noticed any pulsing on the brakes.

But glad your enjoying both and fingers crossed for getting your new machine on the road ASAP. Must have been a total pisser.
  10. Lujo

Lujo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe we measure inseam differently, but I have a 33" inseam and I fit on my R1150GS Adv and on the R1200GS Adventure with no trouble at all. Yeah, I'm not sure I can flatfoot a new R1200GS Adventure, but the reach to the ground is pretty comfortable.

-Lujo
  11. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    I finally saw a white/red 12GS ADV this WE. Beautiful machine. :clap Congrats to whoever is gettign one. One thing of note, since my conversion to the ADV tank is that the white body panels all fit the 12GS. Hm. :evil
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm liking the white panels with black aluminum tank covers very much.. it's a simple paint job SQD! I'm still liking the yellow.. yellow and GS go together.. maybe down the road, I'll turn it into white.. :dunno
  13. GB

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new ride. Which dealer did you buy at? What's the key lock up thing? The EWS kicking you out and won't let you start the bike? :ear

Both bikes are identical, so one bike is obviously in need of a tune up. My dealer's given me an identical bike to mine as a loaner during service and that loaner ran very rough compared to mine..
  14. hogmolly

hogmolly Dude

Oddometer:
    Since he said the demo was an 04, I'm guessing it was an 1150 and not 1200.
  15. tcomet

tcomet Fire Maker

Oddometer:
    The demo is brand new '04 or '05 (I have to look at the paperwork) and it has 100kms on it.
  16. tcomet

tcomet Fire Maker

Oddometer:
    All the info is in may last post (bitch session) here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131502
  17. DrunkWombat

DrunkWombat GS and Proud

Oddometer:
    As hard as it may sound, especially for those among us who like to have the latest and greatest, I thinking there might be some merit in waiting a year or two after a new model has come out, so any bugs can be straightened out. Not warranty/recall type faults, but the little niggly things. Since most adventure bikes are on a much longer development cycle than say the GSXR/ZX/CBR/R1 brigade (new models every 12 months). Improvements can be bought without having to fork out for aftermarket fixes.
  18. hogmolly

hogmolly Dude

Oddometer:
    That's normally always true and can be applied to other parts of your life. For example, I wish I had waited to get married as the later year models were much improved. :rofl
  19. GB

Oddometer:

jeebus.. 10 to 12 business days? that's bunk.. who's your dealer?

My 12GS ADV tank arrived from germany in 5 days. I hope they can sort this out soon so you can ride... I feel your pain :(:
  20. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like that demo bike must have been a badly thrashed POS. I can't compare brakes because my dealers demo Adventure is non ABS (I much prefer my power ABS setup). I can tell you that my bike runs much smoother at all RPMs, shifts smoother, feels much faster and feels 100lbs lighter than my dealers (not yet broken in) adventure. It also has a much better suspension (thanks to Ohlins) and is much more comfy (thanks to Fastaway and BMS).

Like someone else said, properly adjusted valves and TB cables make a big difference in how smooth the bike runs. The ABS system needs to be properly serviced also. If your dealer is servicing their demo bike (most likely), I would recommend finding another dealer to service your bike or it will end up running just as crappy.:deal