New 1250 HP GSA and upgrades

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by side-burn, May 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my new 1250 GSA a few weeks ago and I've just been loving the bike. I've taken it on a few longer rides, dredged through commuter traffic and I've pounded around 50 miles of double-track dirt roads and I really have no complaints. I've ridden a lot of motorcycles over the years and this is about as close to perfect as I've had.

For perspective, I'm an avid off road, enduro enthusiast. I put a lot of hard core, very technical miles on my KTM 500 EXC-F. It's my go to girl when I'm out solo and want to be sure to come home in one piece. Living in Coloardo we have some epic single-track that would eat the GS for lunch. That said, we also have some amazing mountain roads, connected through paved and unpaved networks of trails. You could be riding on windy black top mountain road for 50 miles, then 10 miles of double-track, then another 50 paved. I wanted a bike I could ride out my front door and hit those tracks.

All in all, the bike really comes stock with what you need for most riders, myself included. At least, for the intended purposes I plan to use it. That said, I made this lovely bike mine with a few adornments. Some practical and some less so.

[​IMG]

AltRider headlight guard. Overall the fit/finish is great and install was cake. The lexan is terrible, fragile and scratched pretty easy for me, so I finalized on the metal after junking the lexan. It's a bit "Mad Max" but looks cool. Honestly I cannot tell a difference at night with or without the guard, so no discernible light loss.

[​IMG]

Weiser Technik LED replacements. The one disappointment on this bike were the signals, thanks US DOT. Weiser's LED board has 12 LEDs that are super bright and fill the entire lens. You remove the factory bulb and plastic reflector. I just got the standalone turn signals. At $85 a pair, they are expensive, but well worth it. I highly recommend them. Install was less than 5 minutes for 4 lights.

[​IMG]

Black edition wind deflectors. The clear just didn't do it for me, so I purchased the BMW black ones. I like the blacked-out cockpit look!

[​IMG]

Wunderlich sun-visors for Nav 6 and TFT. Overall the TFT and GPS are visible in bright daylight, but these give you just a bit more contrast on super bright days and it's there I notice a difference. I also hate screen protectors that make these beautiful screens look like dog poop, so they add enough protection as well that I'm happy. The fit/finish is superb, OEM-like and I highly recommend them, especially the TFT.

[​IMG]

Wunderlich dual-USB. Replaced the factory 12V thinga-ma-jiggy with something I'll actually use from time to time. Quality, like other Wunderlich products, is superb. Install was 10 minutes, very easy.

[​IMG]

Wunderlich Ergo risers. I'm 6'0" but I have a longer than normal torso. On one of my 150+ mile rides I felt like I was crouching a bit. On another ride I stood numerous times on a dirt road and felt the bars were a little low. I looked at Rox, but they were out of stock, so I opted for these. Their quality is superb. They come with 4 stainless, torx bolts. The longer set mount to the crown, noting the bolt with the shorter head goes in front. No adjustments were needed to the cables. I was skeptical it would be noticeable and boy was I wrong! These are just awesome and I've noticed no difference in ability to control the bike, turn tight figure-eights, etc. Just outstanding, highly recommended.

[​IMG]

BMW Motorrad, adjustable foot peg. Unnecessary for my riding, but when I saw them in the shop, I had to have them. They're black! They are expensive, but well built and highly functional. The rubber insulated peg for road riding is nice and standing for dirt roads really does bite. For how i will use the bike, these are perfect. The stock position is great for me, but they have 2 more lower levels if needed. I wished they made a set for the passenger too!

[​IMG]

Machine Art Moto ADVance Guards. These were a luxury item. Reading all the forum posts and watching YouTube videos made me think I should try them since the white guards weren't doing it for me for looks and functionality. I believe the hype now. When I took the bike in for service it was 48 degrees, so I flipped the guards in the high position. It really worked! Later that day, when it got around 75, I put them in the position shown below and it was great. These things are a work of art, built like a swiss watch had a baby with a Sherman tank. They are expensive, but guys/gals, you get what you pay for. These will not disappoint. Install was easy, took about 25-30 minutes to fit just how I wanted them.

[​IMG]

BMW Top Case, black edition (of course). Not sure if I'll do the side cases, but the top-case is a must for me. I love it! And I love bringing Old Glory along with me on every ride, day or night!

[​IMG]

Rizoma Rear Brake Reservoir Cap. Total bling here, I know, I know. But it's so pretty! It's not black! Plus it's lighter so now I can do things that I couldn't do before...totally changed how the bike feels! :rofl

[​IMG]

Thanks for lurking and if you're on the fence about a GS, stop thinking about it and do it. These bikes will change what you think about a motorcycle.
  2. dogmaboy

dogmaboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great looking bike,Now you need to get the Rizoma front brake and clutch resevoir caps ,so the front will handle as well as the back.Enjoy the ride.
  3. kanga

kanga n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks great, good job. I think the billet pack, although expensive would look cool too
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. Fosters

Fosters Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done mostly the same as I had to my 1250...
    I expect you as many others are awaiting for the MAM valve cover protectors...and for my the touratech rallyfom I have had on preorder since march...

My only other additions would likely be touratech crash bar reinforcements and the Denali D7 lights which I plan on ordering today
  5. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does TT have reinforcement for OEM crashbars?
  6. Fosters

Fosters Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not yet...I’m hoping they are in their pipeline though
  7. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yea I am thinking about those as well when I’ve got s few more miles on the bike.
  8. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Haha, yea carbon is nice, had it on my last Speed Triple RS, but feels a little out of place on this. I like the black passenger peg mounts but daaaaaamn, 450 bills is really steep for black! I might be able to find someone that could powder coat them for much less I think.
    SmittyBlackstone and Fosters like this.
  10. German

German Ich liebe Bayrischen Mist

Oddometer:
    Very nice set up:clap
  11. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put the Dynamic Motorrad lights on mine but wondered about the Weiser. I had no issues with the Dynamics but I like how the wiser look blacked out. Mind snapping a quick video with your phone of them flashing?
  12. side-burn

Oddometer:
    I couldn’t figure out how to upload the vid. Go to their site for some good info and videos.
  13. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice set-up. Those Wunderlich boys can take a day or two off after receiving your order! lol
    Gadgetech, scottydawg and side-burn like this.
  14. Gadgetech

Oddometer:
    For future reference, I find it easiest to upload a video to YouTube and then link to that. I’ve seen Weiser’s videos but they are, how shall I say, well produced. I’ll probably buy them anyway.
  15. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Don't really have a YouTube channel to do that. I highly recommend them. They fill the entire lens and like you said the reflector is gone so it gives a nice blacked-out look and nice contrast between the signal that's on and the one that's off when signaling. Oh, and I think it took me sub-10 minutes to install every light, including opening the boxes LOL

Edit: Here is a photo of them ON, as you can see, lots of little LEDs to fill the entire lens.

[​IMG]
    Gadgetech likes this.
  16. Gadgetech

Oddometer:
    Awesome job of capturing that @side-burn, thank you!
    side-burn likes this.
  17. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent mine to be powder coated for $50 dollars
    If you cannot find one close to you
    Let me know
    I could take them to be done here in Fort Lauderdale
    Place is 5 minute from home and in my way to work
    side-burn likes this.
  18. side-burn

Oddometer:
    TechSpec tank pad:
    Not terribly exciting, but I installed a TechSpec tank pad (SKU: 62-0008-SS) on Friday. Road a couple hundred miles this weekend and no complaints. The adhesive is very good, rubber is soft but not sticky as to attract dust and I like the texture. Just about the right width.

[​IMG]
  19. Berardi3

Berardi3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet Bike
    side-burn likes this.
  20. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Black Dog Cycle Works - Pillion Rack
    Today I installed the BDCW pillion rack. Rarely do I ride 2-up, so I was looking for a way to get a bit more utility out of my GSA by using the space taken by the passenger seat. I wanted something I could tie a few items down with some straps or perhaps pull out my BMW top case bag insert, lash it to a pillion rack and double my carry capacity on a moment's notice. I just wanted more day-to-day capacity without toting side bags or cases.

I looked at a lot of options. I looked at those that use the seat lock and those that do not. For me, the difference between a 10 minute swap and a 1 minute swap periodically is inconsequential. I wanted the best solution for when the rack is mounted as that will be 95% of the use model. I didn't want to compromise it's purpose for convenience. Opinions and use models vary greatly, but now you understand my perspective.

I chose BDCW for three primary purposes:
    • When mounted, this thing is ridiculously stout. You could put a keg of beer on that thing and if you could ride, it would stay put! :jack
    • Because they utilize the OEM rack mounts the actual footprint of the pillion rack is larger than those utilizing the key
    • Folks at @BlackDogCycleWorks read these forms and are active in the riding community
    The build quality and materials are outstanding. The beveling of the edges is a step above many options. The powder coating is even and appears to be incredibly durable. For functionality and quality, I would give it a 10 out of 10. My one nitpick is the logo. I'm a huge dog lover, but I'd like to see just the dog in the center with "BDCW". It's almost 2x my BMW logos and this is a BMW bike, not a BDCW bike. My thinking is that we advertise by these forum posts and word of mouth on rides, so keep the look clean and elegant and avoid Las Vegas style billboard logos. Sorry guys, I'm super OCD about this kind of thing.

[​IMG]

The attention to detail by adding a beveled edge all around instead of the easy route of water jetting and slapping on a powder coat is appreciated
    [​IMG]
    I used a piece of waterproof foam, beveled it and cut it to fit perfectly inside the cavity. I doubt it needs to be waterproof, but I think keeping it free of dust is a good idea. See my OCD comment above...I know, but I'm 45 years old and it isn't changing anytime soon.
    [​IMG]
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.