New 1250 HP GSA and upgrades

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by side-burn, May 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No way to flip it upside down so the logo doesn’t show?
  2. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and me and Mr. OCD are going through that right now. I like the beveling so that the 4 bolts are smooth, but if you flipped it around, then you'd have 4 bolt nubs popping up. The front bolts are 80mm with robust aluminum standoffs and the rear bolts are 50mm, with similar, but shorter standoffs.
  3. Gadgetech

Oddometer:
    Yep, that’s a no go! :lol3
    side-burn likes this.
  4. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:

Interested in your upgrade blinkers..... can you quickly tell me about the install of them over the OEM?

Literally plug and play?

Cheers from Oz

M
  5. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    100% plug and play. I think total install time was 10-15 minutes, including unpacking the lights. It’s stupid simple.
    Happy Snapper and scottydawg like this.
  6. MLCRISIS?

MLCRISIS? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not quite plug and play for the OZ version of the bike. I purchased these last year for my 1200 and have just moved them onto the 1250. You will need to purchase the arrow shaped indicator housing as the indicators on our version of the bike is a different shape. The kind people at Weisner sourced the housings for me and supplied them with the LED inserts. To install the front set it is just a case of uncoupling the existing wiring and connecting the new. If you go with the rear indicator/brake combo then you need to re use the existing wiring connector which means cutting the existing wiring and joining the wires.
  7. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went with the signals only. I'm considering the driving + signal, but yes those require a bit more wiring.
  8. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kriega US-20
    The Kriega Us-20 fits perfectly atop the BDCW pillion rack! Like they were made for each other! I also fit the US-10 on top of the US-20 (not shown) just to see and there is plenty of room. Also, the US-20, when filled with my rain gear and tool roll actually fit perfectly inside the BMW top case, so that's probably where I'll store it most of the time.

[​IMG]
  9. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great looking mods, Side-burn. I might look into those Wunderlich Ergo risers on my '18 GSA. I just installed the Tankslapper 3M protector shield stuff this past weekend. Highly recommend it to protect the paint job on the tank...especially in dusty, gritty areas that you're probably riding in out there in CO.
    side-burn likes this.
  10. Bamboo Baby

Bamboo Baby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I changed
    the black seats for the red ones.
    Bought the Ralley seat as well.
    GSA1.jpg 12502.JPG 12502.JPG
  11. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do like that Ralley seat a lot and the red actually looks pretty good!
  12. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SW-MOTECH NA and side-burn like this.
  13. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    LMAO, I was just going to post the same question. I like that it isn't too BIG! I loath the bags that are as big as the tank beneath it.
    scottydawg and SW-MOTECH NA like this.
  14. 2Much

2Much Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How is the exhaust working for you ?
  15. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Proudly distributed by Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Hey guys--I've been stalking all threads 1250, as I'm looking to upgrade my stable...and I saw your questions. That tank bag is the
    SW Motech EVO Micro QUICK-LOCK It's 2.5-5L and doesn't get in the way of bars turning or you standing when off-road.

Please keep posting pics--I like seeing everyone's options they're going with.

The Red Bull Team at SW Motech NA
    styriaman and scottydawg like this.
  16. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP,
    Nicely done, I would sure do the foot pegs, the head light protector and the hand guards. I have all black paniers on my 2017 all black already and love them.
    side-burn likes this.
  17. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze
    Installed the "Perfect Squeeze" phone mount today. You can find them here https://shop-hondogarage.com/ I went with the bundle that added the bar clamp mount. Man, this thing is so well built and when you click the knob a few turns, your phone isn't going anywhere! You can mount landscape or portrait, and I chose the latter. I'll try to post a picture later on with the phone mounted. Generally I have my phone in my pocket, but on longer rides or when I'm using the phone as a quick GPS to grab a bite and the Nav 6 as the main GPS, it's nice to have it visible. I like the RAM mounts and functionality is THE standard, but they always just look a bit tacky to me. This functions as good as it looks.

[​IMG]

Here is what it looks like if you just push the tab, you can quickly open it and then micro adjust with the wheel to tighten the phone down all the way.

[​IMG]
    scottydawg likes this.
  18. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grip Puppies
    Ok, the hype is real. I thought these would be somewhat of a gimmick, but they are not. They really do make a difference. For less than $20, it's a low risk, high reward proposition. Install was cake, maybe 15 minutes, most of which was removing the MAM guards and re-tightening.

Some immediate changes.
    • Road feedback, as little as the 1250 has, is diminished even more, making for a seemingly softer ride - at least on the 110 miles I rode today
    • I didn't experience much hand strain before the grips, but these don't make it any worse for me, if anything my grip feels more relaxed
    • Throttle response is "quicker" and this makes sense because the radius is now 1/8" or so inches longer. I really liked this myself.
    The last one could be a negative if you do a lot of offroad, or you'd have to get used to the snappier throttle. That said, for how I use the bike, I highly recommend these and I'm considering adding to my other bikes as well. Time will tell how they hold up, but whatever material it is, it seems pretty solid. It looks like foam, but it is not, it's something more substantial and durable.

[​IMG]
    scottydawg likes this.
  19. Gadgetech

Oddometer:
    I've had grip puppies on a previous bike without heated grips and they were great. I'm curious how much they reduce heated grip effectiveness?
  20. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't notice a difference. Maybe if I timed it between when I pushed the heated grip on button to the time my hands get warm, it would be longer. Otherwise, I can't tell.
    ExxonValdez and Gadgetech like this.