New 1250 HP GSA and upgrades

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by side-burn, May 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no heat difference, just a few second delay in getting up to full heat.

$8.95 from BBY. Order them when ordering something over $20 for shipping cost purposes: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/foamgripcvrs.html
    Fosters and Gadgetech like this.
  2. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's that round cap looking thing over tire between the seat and pipe?
  3. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just the exhaust holder that attaches to the frame. St least that’s what I think your asking. Cheers
  4. Fosters

Fosters Loner

Oddometer:
    Tax disc holder
  5. Fosters

Fosters Loner

Oddometer:
    Touratech crash bar reinforcements
    Just shipped to me from touratech today...

Pity my rallyform is still preordered, along with my Denali d7’s and MAM valve covers
    side-burn likes this.
  6. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Send pics when you get them installed!
  7. Fosters

Fosters Loner

Oddometer:
    Certainly...
    All excuse purchases for my coast to coast trip I plan on making in the next month or so
  8. Bamboo Baby

Bamboo Baby Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I took the Quite Insert out. So if you accelerate slowly, when the shift cam moves, it makes a pop sounds as if you used the shifter. Its loud, but not too much. Sounds insane if you use the QS with wide open throttle.
    side-burn likes this.
  9. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rigid A-Series Amber LEDs
    I had an extra channel in my Hex EZCan, so I decided to put it to good use. I really wanted some side LEDs and I've been eyeing lots of options. Again, Rigid came through big time just like my other post with the Rigid SR-Series front fork light. Their A-series lights are bullet proof, billet aluminum, powder coated housings. They are water proof and very bright. They are a bit pricey, but again, like any good LED, you get what you pay for. They come with all the mounting hardware you need and various options therein. Also included are two rubber feet that are either flat (what I used) or have a radius should you want to mount it to a round surface. As mentioned, I used the flat, rubber foot for my purposes. I drilled two small holes and bolted them up. What's nice is that the rubber is soft, so as you tighten down it pretty much creates a water tight seal, not that a little water ingress would hurt anything as just inside the plastic housing is a drip hole. The wire attached to the light is plenty long to reach the ezCan plug without any additional wire needed.

Set them up with the Hex as Aux 2 and set the daylight brightness to 100% and nighttime at 60%. They only draw about 1A total, wired in parallel . It's pretty cool how when you hit the hazard lights they alternate flashing with the other lights. Install was simple and the end result is super clean and looks OEM. Couldn't be happier with these little gems. :wings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ckindt, Massabusa and scottydawg like this.
  10. RVJM

RVJM Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Fosters

Fosters Loner

Oddometer:
    Touratech crash bar reinforcements installed as well as the rallyform skid plate F2AAA9DE-20B5-40E2-8F08-F06CE2F7BE52.jpeg C2DAFE46-10E6-44DD-8EF9-4CDF41462D12.jpeg
    Now if the denali d7s and the MAM x head covers ship by mid month I’ll be set for my first major ride on this bike...east coast to west coast via NC and the Colorado mountains...3 weeks of me time!!!
  12. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Liking the Rallyform skid plate but unsure if it won't redirect the heat from the cat towards one's feet - would hope not?? Hmmm...

Do let us know pls how it's holding up over time... :thumb
  13. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look great. Let us know how the heat dissipation is on longer rides.
  14. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Billie Brake Light
    Installed the Billie Brake Light by Clearwater last night and took it on a day ride today. Super easy install with the Hex EZCan. Setup for 10% running, 50% brake and it's plenty bright. This thing is a well made work of art, very impressed. Currently I'm running the Hex setup as California flashing + engine braking and solid at 15 km/hr or slower. Love the ability to configure things. Highly recommended and it fits like an OEM part.
    [​IMG]
  15. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, give me your opinion. I installed the Billie Jr. and turned the running light off because it’s so bright and I think it would confuse people. When the running light is off and you hit the brakes it’s holy sh!t Batman, the sun just appeared before my very eyes.

I noticed people at the MOA rally with the Billie running light on and granted I knew when they hit the brakes but it took me awhile to figure out they weren’t riding the brakes. My concern is a passenger vehicle sees the running light being bright, assumes I’m riding my brakes and doesn’t pay attention when I actually brake.

YMMV and what not but I’m curious your take on it.
  16. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    While I'm not @side-burn, I do run similar set-up w 10% tail and 30% brake - 30% at night is plenty while 50% could be very annoying and I don't want to get there...

The reason why I have tail light on, vs. your off, is that OE tail light isn't as bright as I think it should be so a bit brighter additional Billie does provide that extra visibility I want to have - not concerned with anyone thinking I ride the brakes as they'll find out what happens when brakes are on... Even at 30% when brakes are applied, especially w initial strobe function Billie does make sure, again in addition to OE brake light, that distracted cagers behind get the message that motorcycle in front of them is braking - ymmv... :deal
    Gadgetech likes this.
  17. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m in a similar camp as @Lead Wrist on this. I want to be seen before I’m braking not during. I run 10/50 and at a reasonable tailing distance 50 at night is good. I considered 60. Any closer and the ass hole should back off anyway. And as far as contrast 50 is obviously braking while 10 is enough to advise people. If they are far away and they see the light, it did it’s job. Trust me brother, they aren’t slowing down until they get much closer, they aren’t confused when you pull it. I did turn off the flashing unless I’m 15+ km/hr and may up that to 20 after some testing. And I will probably turn off deceleration braking after I test in some twisties here in CO.
  18. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a Billy Jr...hate it lol.

Why? Because it looks like you're braking when you're not (even at 10%!). And when you are braking, depending on the angle, it doesn't look any different.

This isn't a knock on you SB but rather the product. I think the default settings and design is borderline dangerous and could induce the occasional road rage. Also, I recall in my riding training not to engine brake when a cager is behind you, they might not notice you slowing, this is somewhat the opposite where someone might assume your lights are malfunctioning and subsequently fail to notice when you are...while they're text messaging or watching netflix.

I did eventually remove the Billy jr after getting some advice from other riders and non-riders and went with the Weiser brake lights instead and am much happier.
  19. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    No offense taken. I think 10% looks off personally but we can’t all agree right? When on it is considerably brighter.

I’ve turned off the engine braking. That said, for perspective I live next to the hills of Colorado. Grades are often very steep and windy for miles. If you brake there, bye-bye brakes my man. So, it is in those places I brake with the engine. And it is usually to signal my riding friends. In the city, I never do for reasons you mentioned. I may end up trying the Weisers for the rear as I can power it with the hex’s accessory power I have left and not have their relay stuff or positap into any existing wire.

Cheers and thanks for the comments.
    _Gir_ likes this.
  20. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good input. I rode with my buds today, needless to say they weren’t a fan of the running light. :lol3
    _Gir_ likes this.