"New" 2009 DR650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by acesandeights, Mar 8, 2011.

1. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Would you worry about anything in particular purchasing a new (not sold prior) 2009 DR650. If the bike has sit for that long (realizing it could be a 2010 bike I guess), would you worry about seals, gaskets, etc. or anything else?
  2. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'd be worried that I couldn't get one!!!! :ddog :becca

Seriously, nothing to worry about at all, except ask the dealer if it had ever been prepped for sale.

They typically don't fill the fluids and charge the battery until the bike is sold, but if they had, they would have also put in GAS, and if that gas has/had any ethanol in it, the pilot jet may have gotten gummed up from sitting too long.

If they tell you it was prepped, negotiate a free service of the carb if you detect any rough idle or stumbling. But I guess that would be covered under warranty anyway, so no worries.
  3. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    go for it
    my first new bike was a 2 year old left over new dr350

it ran like a dream
  4. Janet from Joisey

Janet from Joisey Bad Kitty

Oddometer:
    You could negotiate for a fresh oil/filter change and brake bleed. Or, do the oil change yourself right away to ensure that the drain bolt isn't overtightend, etc. You may want to replace any gas in the tank and drain the float bowl in the carb, as well. A freshly-charged battery is nice, too, before you hit the starter button.

I picked up a 2005 KTM 400 this winter with 85 miles on it. Before I started it, I charged up the battery, replaced the gas and added some Seafoam additive, drained the float bowl and changed the oil filters and oil.

After ensuring that it was running well, I installed a jet kit from JD Jetting and had a shop replace the clutch and brake fluid and inspect the seals in them. Bike has been running beautifully.

[​IMG]
  5. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent advice, Janet! :freaky Seafoam is 'da bomb!
  6. vospertw

vospertw Adventures on the Cheap

Oddometer:
    I don't think there are any, but have them check for any recalls. At least with the DR, you don't have to worry about not having the latest ECM flash... :D
  7. BullfrogsADV

BullfrogsADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a black new 09 last week. Seemed like a good deal at $3,999. Only 22 miles on it so far. :D