New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just can’t bring myself to shift without the clutch. Been on bikes way to long and I cringe every time I think about trying it.

Thanks.
  2. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been trying the quick shifter, but over four decades of ingrained reflexes has me constantly rolling off or blipping the throttle. It's hard to retrain my brain to let the magic box do the work.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  3. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    As long as you match rpm with road speed and the gear being selected (either up or down) you can shift most any bike without the clutch.
    All the Pro Shift does is do all the syncing for you.
    I have shifted almost all the bikes I have owned in the better part of 50 years of riding without the clutch at one time or another.
    The Maz likes this.
  4. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    That is the problem I have and it confuses the system.
    MCMXCIVRS likes this.
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    It does take a very conscious and firm kick down or up to trigger it. Harder than it seems like it should; I agree with the above that it feels "wrong". But I have purposely been trying to do it more, and can see the benefits with no loss of thrust under hard acceleration. And downshifting when needed quickly in the dirt to get power down fast would be a good thing.
    The manual says 80% of shifts can be done without the clutch! That seems reversed to me under the best conditions.

20190623_134239-ToddGlasier.jpg
  6. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Going back a bit...
    Some people seemed obcessed about what to do about the "Tall Nuts" used for the OEM Nav mount when moving the Nav to a different position...
    Just go to the local Ace Hardware and buy 4 Stainless Steel Button Socket Head Cap Screws and washers and install them in the unused holes. Problem solved.

IMG_20190719_202116.jpg IMG_20190719_202116.jpg
    dharmab likes this.
  7. bdv

bdv n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, just wanted to add my thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I've learned heaps about my new F850 from people who actually own one which is awesome.

Loving the bike, and continually adding to my shopping list some of the stuff you people have been posting about

Attached Files:

slackline, SebRex13 and AdamChandler like this.
  8. bdv

bdv n00b

Oddometer:
    Tell you what I don't love, is the connectivity mess BMW have cooked up.

I have the TFT dash, the Nav VI, an iPhone 6s, a helmet comms unit, the BMW Connected App and the Garmin Smart Link App. Forgetting the two apps for now, just getting consistent connectivity to my phone is a problem, let alone having the four hardware pieces work in tandem.

As a minimum, I would have expected to be able to set a nav point on the Nav VI, and have turn by turn instructions fed to my headset. No dice so far. Also the "Navigation" section on the TFT just says check your connectivity when I try to scroll to it.

TBH I have yet to research this, but if anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate it...it seems a bit of a quagmire, maybe I'm trying to do too much?
  9. DanF750GS

DanF750GS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question- I'd like to remove this mount altogether. But what to do with the wiring?
  10. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    The wiring just runs to a plug below and to the right (when sitting on the bike) of the TFT. The Nav harness plugs in there and can be removed. I am goibf ro do this to my wife's bike but a want to obtain a factory cap for the harness first in order to properly weather seal the end of the harness.
    You will need to cut at least two cable ties that are down there...
    DanF750GS likes this.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Earlier I made a disparaging comment regarding the quickshifter and how it eliminated fine adjustments to the shifter pedal height.
    Well at a local ADV dinner last week some fellows pointed out that the linkage rods above & below the quickshifter itself should still be adjustable by popping the female fittings on the upper and lower ends off from the male fittings, and then performing the adjustments as usual, then replacing the female end back on the male pins.
    (the silver female ball on the top end of the rod in this pic)
    I will try this when I return home from vacation to confirm this, unless someone else can confirm already.
    Screenshot_20190723-171146.png
  12. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s hard to tell from your photo but did you already try adjusting it at the input shaft? I just did mine and rotated it back one spline which brought the whole linkage and lever up higher. I’m about to go ride and see how it works but it shifts fine in the garage and doesn’t contact the side of the case. I can fit my big fat Forma Adv boot in there to upshift a lot easier now when before I had to awkwardly angle my foot down to slide it under.
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hi, I did already try moving one spline, but it moved the lever too much for me. Was hoping for a finer adjustment on the linkage rod like the good old days.
    That.guy likes this.
  14. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Searched in here, but my Google-fu must not be strong enough. I put knobbies on the bike today, and the place that did it isn’t familiar with BMWs. I should have walked out... What needs to be done for the TPM to be recalibrated for the knobbies? Anything? It’s being goofy right now, and while I turned off the flashing lights, I hate seeing the numbers in red. I’ll go out, let some pressure out, and refill to normal pressure, but does anything else need to be done?
  15. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    What? You can set the TPM pressures yourself using the "Settings" menu on the TFT.
    When all else fails READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL!
  16. That.guy

Oddometer:
    Can you though? My manual (750) mentions nothing about changing the pressure settings, only what they should be and how they are monitored. The only option in settings is to turn off the RDC warning.
    heatmizr likes this.
  17. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    From the manual...
    Screenshot (52).png
  18. slackline

Oddometer:
    When all else fails, be positive of what you’re talking about before you go off like a d-bag. Read through it. My experience after reading every reference I could find to it doesn’t list it clearly anywhere. Unless you’re saying I should do an exhaustive, word by word, reading of it, I have. Thanks for nothing!
  19. slackline

Oddometer:
    I must be reading it wrong because, again, all I see is the option to turn off the warning, which I mentioned having done...

Besides, it’s all a moot point now. Guys at the shop just simply didn’t even try. Front tire was at 54 psi, and rear and 24 psi! You wouldn’t believe how much I paid to have that done. I will learn how to do it myself from now on.
  20. That.guy

Oddometer:
    I get it, the manual has a lot of info which is why I said I checked mine. Yours (for an 850) is a little different than mine (for a 750) but I don’t see in either manual how it says you can change the pressures the onboard computer is looking for, only that you can turn the warnings on or off.