New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got lucky! My wife's relatives we are staying with have three bikes and were generous enough to take me out on a ride early this morning! I rode their Suzook Vstrom1k, from Temecula almost to Idyllwild and back. The scenery here blows away most anything out east. I love Cali![/QUOTE]

But oh boy it’s been hot. Was 103 on my ride home from work the other day.

Great riding down where you are though.
    Motomich likes this.
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    And I was just informed that we are going out again in the morning with another guy who is coming by

Yes terrific area. Palomar to the south, Idyllwild to the east, Big Bear to the North. I rode through here a couple yrs ago, bike camped in Joshua Tree, then Big Bear, where I literally almost froze my nuts off.

SF - yeah a few days ago I saw 114(!) on the Ventura Freeway, but thankfully in a car at the time.
    Anyway was 86+ early this morning, felt way better than at home in NC where the humidity is double.
  3. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    Yeah I’m local to you. Im in corona. So I know this area well. The scenery is awesome.
  4. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3600mi so far since January. I live really close to my workplace and a lot of really good roads and campsites, but about half of those miles were from a single trip.
  5. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    on the 750, anyone know the size of the nut on the rear axle and the Allen head on the front (there are two sizes)... and it is not in the owner's manual (at least that I could find)
  6. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    rear is 34mm, I think the front is 12mm
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  7. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    That multi adapter/tool rocks!
    I may have my uncle machine one just like it for free! It won't be blue, but it will be steel!
  9. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has BMW always made their brake/clutch levers with the scalloped out weak point towards the tip? I dropped my 750 from a standstill when my foot sank into the mud and broke the tip of the brake lever off. I was initially pretty butthurt that it broke so easily until I had a look at the clutch lever and realized it’s probably designed that way to purposely break off and not snap or bend the entire lever.

IMG_20190727_201411.jpg IMG_20190728_175647.jpg
  10. MoseFitch

MoseFitch Chicken Rancher Supporter

Oddometer:
    Relief for sacrificial break. Save the controls. My ktm has it also. Pic of my RT IMG_7042.jpg
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess the argument can be if you fall hard enough for the lever to brake, you'll be glad you still have a 'shorty' lever left over to get you home. It's always good when something partially breaks w/o complete failure. So in that regards, good job BMW.
    That.guy likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thinking of a cock-pit setup plan. Thoughts on this two phase approach to saving $950 and not buy a NAV VI but gain a way to charge & use an iPhone front & center and a NAV I already own (TomTom)

Keep BMW NAV Cradle in its place

Add Upper GPS Bracket
    OR

Add Madstad Cockpit which appears to come with a way to attach RAM Balls and save the money on that GPS bracket for a proper touring screen.

--------

I'd also add this doo-hickey for running an additional USB cable to the tank bag or can someone confirm the SW-Motech Powered tank ring works with the F750/850 for easier power to the tank bag?

I primarily want to ensure that the Wunderlinq + RAM + Perfect Squeeze would clear a standard tank bag that's around 15L in size.
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  13. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    Quick question. Which brake pedal extension do you guys have and prefer?

I don’t like how far inboard (or low but that’s secondary) my brake pedal is. I’m debating between touratech or similar.

Thanks.
  14. RG1984

RG1984 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About to pull a classic ADVrider response and give you an answer you weren't asking for- but versatility and ease of transport how about an anker power bank?
    I have that and one of their solar panels. When the sun is out I charge the power bank off the panel, and when I need to charge a device I either plug that into the panel or if the sun isn't out I can charge it off the bank.
    I know you have a monster 1200 that has all the bells and whistles so that might not be something you really care about.
    But if you're looking to charge major drawing devices, I guess I'll just shut my mouth and see what options people come up with.
    But one last attempt at being relevant- I use it and prefer it to charging stuff off my bike.
    morfic, slackline and AdamChandler like this.
  15. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Proudly distributed by Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Hey Adam!

Just want to let you know the 12V powered tank bags do work with the new 750/850s and get power directly into the bag, which includes an SAE port for your electronics.
    If you check out the link for the City Bag through Twisted Throttle, you can click on the tab labeled "Resources" and it shows you how it all goes together.

SW Motech EVO 2.0 City Tankbag

Cheers!
    The Red Bull Team of SW Motech NA
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Awesome thanks! That just sealed tank bag choice for me.
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  17. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still two nagging issues with 1600 miles. Seat will still not latch properly or at all. Had dealer look at it, with no fix other than just work the seat. Also, still get a clang/klunk from rear of bike when I hit a sharp impact. Dealer could not find it, when a let a budy take a short ride he immediately noticed it. Everything seems tight. It is a 850 GSA
  18. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a spot you can produce it on demand?

If so drag your brakes while hitting the spot, I thought I had a clank in back until I realized I can't judge direction with helmet on.

It's my floating rotors in the front on my bike, a little dragging the brake and no clanking.
  19. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone found a good source for these tools (to take the wheels off the bike) besides BMW? TouraTech has the front Allen wrench but the rear and the other front axle... have not found
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Proeasy, sounds like you're going to have to dig into the latching mechanism yourself and fiddle with it until you can determine if the captive metal rod is too far forward, back, or just binding too much. Then fix accordingly.
    Have you read the posts here and in the Accessories threads in detail?
    I'll help if I can....
    If I could make a living out of fixing poorly designed products... I do it all the time around the house with no pay!