New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, just want to post the nagging/nuisance issues, as I tend to be a forgiving consumer many times, but this one needs to be fixed by BMW. The clunking one has me perplexed
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I have some clunking too, but I chalked it up to the center stand banging the frame Or chain slap on swingarm. If that makes you feel better.
    If I ever get to ride again I will try to pinpoint it to be sure.
  3. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to me it seems the center stand has a minute amount of free play (I would say left to right and visa versa) on the shaft it pivots on,,, it is not the sound of the up and down against the rubber stop. it seems to be stamped assembly with no way to tighten/rmove the free play. Again a budy with a 1250 took it for a 500 yard ride and noticed immediately
  4. DustySprocket

DustySprocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fitted the BMW extended brake pedal (as found on the Adventure model).

On my previous 800's I just bended the lever upward (only to have the dealer bending it back during service) using a set of pliers.
    heatmizr likes this.
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hey Dusty - tell them its a MOD !
    Can you say where the Adventure pedal winds up on your bike? How much higher, further in or out, etc?
    Oh nevermind, its adjustable, duh.
  6. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  7. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    2849 miles on the bike. It’s just at 2 months old. Only ride to and from work mon-Thursday. 41 miles each way.

I pull into the gas station and smell burning oil. See smoke. And get under it to look.

IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg

Waiting for BMW now.
  8. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    What bike is this?
    It doesn't look like an F750 or F850 because of the location of the oil filter....

Oh sorry... I didn't realize the photos were from under the bike!

Looks like the oil filter is leaking?
  9. kingkille82

kingkille82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check to see if your filter is tight
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  10. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    betting the problem is here

upload_2019-8-1_17-6-1.png
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  11. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    I checked the filter by hand it didn’t move. Either way I had bmw pick up the bike and drive me home. Let Warranty take care of it.

But I do think you’re right. Bike being brand new id rather let them figure it out.
  12. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    The filters are recessed into the cases/frame so far you can't get good enough grip on it by hand to make it tight enough... It may seem tight with your fingertips which is all you can get on the filter but that is not enough.
    My guess is the tech at the dealer never tightened the filter sufficiently because he didn't use a wrench on it.
    I have never in my life seen a filter that is so restricted for access as these are and I have been wrenching on all sorts of vehicles for the better part of 62 years.

As you said it is on the dealer at this point and be sure the "incident" is documented for future problems if they happen.
  13. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah if an oil filter comes from the dealer / factory and does that, let them deal with it. If I do it myself and it leaks, well it's probably my fault :p
  14. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    Definitely my thought process. I want this documented. I did check the up level and that was good. So I’m confident no internal damage. But still.
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    You had the 'running-in check' (600 mile service) done at the dealer I assume. Did it get taken to the same dealer now?
    I did my own oil /filter right before my running-in check, maybe I should go check mine.
  16. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Looking at the second photo it looks like the oil filter seal ring is sticking out a bit which is almost impossible since it is in a recess in the filter. I would say the tech never made sure the old seal was not stuck to the engine and there are two seal rings on there.
    I know the original filter on my bike was a real bear to get off at the first service... I don't think they lube the seal at the factory.
    AdamChandler, morfic and Phoenix101 like this.
  17. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    Sadly no. I wanted it to go to my dealership because they are smaller and would have this dealt with faster but the way the bmw roadside assistance works they took it to the nearest bmw dealer. I’m a little worried it won’t be taken care of fast and currently this is my only transportation.
  18. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Could be better off... A different dealer is more likely to be forthcoming with information if another dealer or tech screwed up. Taking it back to the same dealer gives them the chance to cover for the mistake.
    morfic likes this.
  19. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    True.
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    My long-term experience with BMW car dealerships is top-notch. The BMW bike dealer in town here also seems pretty good, I would hope that extends to your case.
    Also give them a ring and in a very nice way let them know that it's you're only transportation. I bet they take care of you.

(I just had BMW do a $6400 repair on my twin turbo V8, on their dime. Ok it was part of a class action suit, but still..)
    AdamChandler likes this.