New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are done. Nice and fast thankfully.

The prognosis was that the oil filter was over tightened pinching the seal and creating a leak. They replaced the filter, seal and oil. Bikes done.
  2. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:

:clap
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    good on them for doing oil as well. Glad you got it sorted so quickly!
  4. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    "oil filter was over tightened pinching the seal and creating a leak"
    Called it! After examining your photo...
    And yes oil change, can't remove the filter and o-ring to get a new one on there without losing it.
  5. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    Put the new Touratech brake pedal on. Straight forward and quality piece. Install super easy. Here are some pics. I have not ridden the bike with it yet though it’s a bit over 100 degrees and not that excited about the pedal lol.

IMG_0284.jpg
    Top view

IMG_0285.jpg
    Bottom view

Consists of
    -top plate ( the pedal) that fits into one spot, it does not move around. It’s located by the shape of the OEM pedal and it’s gnurling.
    - Bolt, 2 washers and a nylon nut
    -Bottom plate that completes the clamping if the brake pedal onto the OEM pedal. It also can not move due to its shape. So it’s quite sturdy.
    SnoDrtRider and AdamChandler like this.
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hi medic,
    Yeah that looks bitchin.
    Just curious, do you feel like you need that pedal for commuting? Or just having fun? Not being snarky.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    Not snarky at all. Something I’ve always noticed is that I felt the brake was to far inboard. Riding normal never bothered me but I could tell I needed to turn my toe in a bit to feel like I was getting a good purchase on the brake. Under an oh shit maneuver I noticed it more when a lady cut me off the other day and changed lanes into me. That started my pursuit for a bit wider brake.
    Pch123 likes this.
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I can definitely see that need. I guess I would only be concerned about the aggressiveness of that particular one, it looks made for mud and off road boots. Be careful it doesn't catch your pant leg when trying to get your foot down in a hurry. I've almost dumped it that way.

I meant me on the snarky
  9. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    I knew what ya meant. Didn’t take YOU as snarky on that lol.

We shall see today. I am a machinist so I could always just adjust it as necessary if that’s an issue.

IMG_1327.jpg
    My garage
    ihaha, SebRex13, morfic and 1 other person like this.
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Awesome! My uncle does stuff like that, I can send him a drawing with measurements and he will mail me a part for my rear stand or whatever... So cool.
  11. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took the BMW motocamping this weekend in the Eureka, Utah area. A buddy of mine borrowed my DRZ-400SM to get some dual-sport experience as he's looking to switch his Sportster for a VStrom or similar bike. Both bikes did very well!

https://imgur.com/a/mzzShGT

Note that this is a 750 with the stock rims and tires, slightly overpressured for luggage and with the suspension in rider+luggage mode. Don't underestimate these bikes- they definitely need more skill to ride offroad but are perfectly capable in most situations.
  12. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    That looks fun! What kind of adjustable screen extender is that? Do you like it? Does it require drilling? It looks like it pivots only? Or can you change angle and height?
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I took a big vise grip to my rear brake pedal today and bent it outward about .75" and up about .25". I am guessing that will put it where I want it - will verify on my next ride.

I also separated the top end of my shifter linkage and spun that top rod one revolution, bringing up the lever a few mm. Again, an educated guess. I will assess next ride.
  14. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, dumb question: anyone wheelie the 850GSA? I’ve ridden for well over 20 years, but never learned how. I’m teaching myself on my dirt bike, and I’m trying on the 850. I don’t want to drop the clutch to do it, and a lot of what I’ve read says you shouldn’t need to. Any personal experience or tips you’d care to give?

I’m too old to showboat, but young enough to recognize both the cool factor of a wheelie, and the utility of getting the front tire up and over an obstacle while off road. Just need to figure it out.
    morfic and AdamChandler like this.
  15. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Disable ASC/ABS and go into Dynamic Pro Mode. I know ASC/ABS has wheelie suppression in all modes but dynamic pro and you have to disable them completely. That may be keeping you from wheeling no matter how hard you're trying.

[​IMG]
    Phoenix101, slackline and heatmizr like this.
  16. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Givi Shield+. It's a universal fit part that clamps onto most windshields. No drilling, just an Allen key to adjust clamp pressure and a tool-free adjuster for angle and height. It's an improvement over stock although I wish it were another inch or so higher for my height (5'10")
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I am about same height. Thanks for the comments.
  18. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll give it a try, thanks.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    So remember, next time you are passing a Hooters, and you want to impress the ladies doing the bikini bike wash in the parking lot with an impromptu wheelie, first pull over, navigate the menu, disable the nannies, then Go For It!
    slackline, Phoenix101 and SnoDrtRider like this.
  20. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    :lol3:jack
    Duitser likes this.