New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    On a more (semi?) serious note -
    I haven' tried with the 850 yet but I was alright at wheelieing my RC51 (not hard!), this is how I did it:
    In First gear, accelerate briskly until revs are at least 5k, then in quick succession chop the throttle and whack it back on, and be ready to modulate as it lifts up!
    When you chop the throttle, the front springs will compress briefly and help rebound the front back into the air along with the motor.
    I think these bikes have the torque to wheelie, next time I ride I will verify :)

Pro-Tip: cover the rear brake with your foot while attempting, if you get scary high you can bring it down quick with rear brake.

When you can shift into second while in the air, and keep it going, you have become better than me!:clap
  2. grelcar

grelcar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone think that when the 2020 models come out they will be available without being fully optioned out? I talked t a local dealer when the 2019 models became available a was told that they could only be ordered with most of the factory options.
  3. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a fully stripped 750 at Irv Seaver BMW when I was there Friday.
  4. ABDriver

ABDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe the toolkit bouncing under the seat?
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I will be suprised if they do anything different than this year.
    Their cars are same way. Almost all fully loaded, anything less is special order.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  6. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Yep... most people will order one option package or another. Our bikes were on the floor and had everything but the alarm system. Really no sense in ordering a base bike as if you negotiate properly you can get a full option bike for little more than a base bike if they have it in stock. Most dealers have goo incentive to move stock rather than order a bike.
    Phoenix101 and AdamChandler like this.
  7. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you tie down your 850 GSA when trailering front Fork stanchion/support ???
  8. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    BMW calls it the "Lower Fork Bridge" but yes. You will want soft ties and you need to be sure to get the straps at the correct angle to prevent rubbing. IMG_20190323_111237.jpg
    ihaha, proeasy and AdamChandler like this.
  9. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Took those pics when received it a few months ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    CBejbl likes this.
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    SnoDrt - I see the hand/brushguards on the white bike are also white?? All others I have seen are black. Those stock, or did you have them upgraded before purchase?
  11. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    That is what was on there when I picked the bike up... I was actually surprised...
    I will see how they hold up all the bug hits show up for sure! I had Moose Racing Bark Busters on my DRZ with the white handguards and they yellowed pretty bad within a year. These are a different plastic than the Moose so hopefully the color holds up better.
  12. Fireball36

Fireball36 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, my 2019 F850GS now has over 16,000km on it. The seat latch was replaced on recall, something with the air filter was fixed on recall and next is a throttle hand grip assembly on warranty (notchy starter button). I had a few minor things like chain guard bolts but the bike's been damn solid. I guess that 6000km of the total is on dirt, sometimes brutal washboard, sometimes smooth clay and sometimes forest single track.
    It's been to Prudhoe Bay, Tuktoyaktuk - all over the damn place.

I bent my rear brake lever back to the foot peg and I bent the shifter into the case in separate incidents in the last couple weeks. All easily fixed.

My Hepco Becker crash bars, Bark Busters and Black Dog skid plates have worked perfectly. So far there's been zero damage to the bike but it's only been down once.

I'm really liking this bike. Fast enough, very comfortable, works great off road but easily does a long highway slog. it just works well.

I have another adventure planned later this summer. More fun to come.

Attached Files:

13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    AWESOME.
  14. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been riding on it all week commuting 42 miles each way. I absolutely love this brake pedal. No issues with catching on the pant because my leg isn’t that far forward when I put my foot down (I’m short lol).
    AdamChandler and heatmizr like this.
  15. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Who puts their foot down ahead of the footrests? I put my feet down behind the footrests so when I stop on an incline I can use my legs to prevent the bike from rolling backwards.
  16. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Had it almost cause issues on a sportbike, so I just threw it out there. Those pegs were further back probably.
  17. iamadventurous

iamadventurous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a low suspension, low seat 2019 750gs and have now put 2k miles on it. I have dropped the bike 4 times in parking lots. Two issues the bike seems to have. 1. It appears that the side stand offer very little room for parking on slopes. Essentially the side stand keeps the bike so upright that even a gentle slope to the right causes the bike to tip over. Have others had issues with the side stand being so unforgiving? Does BMW put a shorter stand on the low suspension model, or do they just use the same one as the standard model? Anyone replaced their side stand with something lower? 2. These tip overs have caused the front brake lever to break, even though I have the handlebar guards that come with the bike. The guards are not broken just scratched but the lever breaks. I have replaced it once for US$120, and now need another one. Anyone else notice that the lever breaks even with the guards. Would changing to bark busters solve this problem? Anyone found non OEM hand controls that are more reasonably priced than BMW parts?

Thanks.
  18. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's the same issue on the lowered R1200GS bikes as well. Those have a shorter center-stand & side-stand to compensate for the reduced lean due to the ass of the bike being lower. As you shorten that rear shock, you won't have as much lean even on a flat grade so to compensate, they shorten the side-stand but the bike will be more susceptible to falling to the right. In my case, I raised my R1200GS a bit with an aftermarket shock and thus had to buy a 20mm Riser to go under my side-stand because I was having the opposite issue.

Levers are expensive so if you can swing it, grab this - https://www.twistedthrottle.com/barkbusters-storm-handguard-kit-for-bmw-f750gs-19-f850gs-19-bhg-075

Price of one lever and will pay for itself over time.
  19. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Remove sidestand, take it to nearly any bike shop, muffler shop, or car shop, ask one of the guys if he can cut an inch (I estimate) out of the shaft and weld it back together.
    I did this once and the shop guy did it on the side for me, charged me $10.

Maybe have them also add a slightly larger foot for the dirt, while they are at it, if you have something handy they can attach.

They will remove the paint to weld, so maybe hit it with some black spray paint before re installing.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  20. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    my wife's low frame... we put these on it to guard the handle bar levers and controls and these don't hit the windshield ( actually have ordered a set for my 1200):

upload_2019-8-9_8-40-52.png
    AdamChandler likes this.