New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. iamadventurous

iamadventurous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My concern is that there is something about the OEM guards that makes it such that the lever breaks anyway. Has your wife by any chance had a chance to “test” these handlebar guards?
  2. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OEM hand guards are basically just wind deflectors, they are light weight plastic and offer no physical protection to the levers or your hands from a tip over or from brush or obstacles on a trail. Real hand guards will stand up to impacts and have a better chance of preventing broken levers. Probably cheaper than a single lever replacement too.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I follow...
    It's a matter of the OE PLASTIC guards deforming, allowing contact to the lever breaking it.
    The ones posted by Phoenix are Metal bars outside the guard, don't see how the lever could get damaged with those on.
    *oops, MCMXCIVRS beat me to it
    MCMXCIVRS likes this.
  4. iamadventurous

iamadventurous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is precisely my point. The plastic guards aren’t deformed or damaged in any way yet the lever breaks. Perhaps what you are suggesting is that they bend on impact and allow the fall to be taken by the lever and then retake their original shape. I have to say then that that is some sturdy plastic on the guards and some lousy metal on the levers.
  5. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    no bike naps...yet
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is what I assume is happening.
  7. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While running the 750 yesterday to adjust the automatic oiler, the bike started smoking. Shut it down and there was a small puddle of oil under the bike.

A bit shocking since this bike had the dealer do the initial service on 35 days ago. It was then ridden every day for 15 days and 5,700 miles without any issue. It then sat for a 8 days, and this happened yesterday.

Put it up on the table and it was clearly coming from the oil filter...which has not been touched since the dealer service. Oil was coating the area ahead of the filter and dripping down on the pipe. The are behind the filter was dry, but there was a coating of grime making me think there may have been some level of leakage before the episode yesterday.

Removing the filter showed a gasket in the worst condition I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not used to seeing ridges on oil filter gaskets, but then again, I've never owned a BMW. Printing on the filter says to only hand tightening. Seems like it would be very difficult to get it hand tight considering how little you can get your hand around the filter.

I'm assuming this is no normal for a BMW filter gasket after use.
  8. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it was on way too tight. As there is no way to hand tighten the filter, a wrench must be used, but with caution. I like to spin the filter down until the gasket just contscts, then give it another 1/2 to 3/4 turn.
  9. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just dealt with this same thing. After the initial dealer service.
  10. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    That is strange... As you say never saw ridges on a filter gasket... I wonder if the gasket is upside down from the factory and no one (at the dealer) noticed?
    My OEM filters I bought at the dealer when we bought the bikes had the normal flat gaskets. My second oil change I used HiFlow HF160 filters on both bikes which are the same as the 800 GS filters.
    I'm thinking BMW received a shipment of bad filters... Either that or two Techs on opposite sides of the country overtightened the filters to the point of distorting/damaging the gaskets.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    My expert mechanic uncle just informed me that "hand tight" actually has a value, and that value is 11 lb/ft. FYI!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Should be 8 ft/ lbs
    11nm
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. Dirt_Dad

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. Good to know, and not something I guess I can count on BMW telling me. Was a little surprised to see they didn't say how much oil for an oil change. And amused they want me to take the bike to a dealer to adjust the oil level.

This BMW stuff is a brave new world to me .
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    this guy works at the BMW factory... puts on the oil filters

upload_2019-8-12_16-56-57.png
    SebRex13 and SnoDrtRider like this.
  15. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had cases where items were too tight or too loose after dealer service. Correct me if I'm wrong but the BMW techs get paid by the job, not by the hour, and a torque wrench takes extra time.
    One example was my skid plate was dangling by one loose nut. The other three fell off and I was very close to possibly having my skid plate falling into my rear wheel.
    The worst case was when a tech left the final drive fill plug loose and I had oil all over the rear wheel, tire and brake. 300 miles away from home. In Canada. Not good.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    I have the feeling that BMW is charging way too much per hours($150 per hour in Canada) for maintenance and the service department take short cut to save the customer some money. That's a problem.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. Dirt_Dad

Oddometer:
    I've been told by two dealership owners the hardest thing they do is try to hire technicians. In general young people just don't want to go into that business the way the used to. They need to purchase their own tools and the pay is not great. There's a fair amount of turnover in the back, and it's nearly impossible for the customer standing at the counter to know the skill level of the tech who will work on their bike.

It's hard to see how the situation improves any time soon.
    heatmizr likes this.
  18. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I have to disagree... I have the feeling that techs work on flat rate and the faster they get a job done the more they make.
    I was in the automotive service business for many years and could beat flat rate times by 1/3 or better. My efficiency rating was 153% which means that if I worked 40 hrs a week my pay was normally 60 hrs plus.
    The thing was any work that was not up to par and returned you ate and made right without pay and sometimes had to come out of pocket for parts. If you were good you could make great money but if you were a hack you could lose money.
    My guess is most dealers are using B & C rate techs for the majority of work and you pay the full rate for an A tech.
    AdamChandler and Phoenix101 like this.
  19. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    the dealer I buy from explains the guy making the most money there... is the certified BMW tech..
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    A good certified tech should be making 1/3 to 1/2 of the hourly shop rate on flat rate without needing to hustle. If they hustle and have no comebacks they should be making more.
    I was both an ASE Certified Master Tech and an Alfa Romeo Certified Master Tech... The money was real good and all involved (Shop, Service Writer and Techs) were VERY happy. It was not uncommon to have the owners hand out weekly bonuses of a couple hundred dollars each at weekly after work get togethers.
    Phoenix101 likes this.