New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who or what are you disagreeing with?
  2. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Sorry I thought I quoted the post>>>

BordenBMW:

I have the feeling that BMW is charging way too much per hours($150 per hour in Canada) for maintenance and the service department take short cut to save the customer some money. That's a problem.

The consumer is not being saved any money for a tech taking a shortcut the dealer and/or the tech simply make more money.
  3. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    keep in mind if something comes back.. the mechanic is usually fixing it OFF the clock... as in no $$$

and HEY! 150 in Loonies is not like using real money (okay I am running for the exit now :lol2)
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  4. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Yep... been there done that... Flat rate tech for quite a few years... If you take a shortcut you better know what you are doing!

Case in point: Nissan Z car or Maxima (Yeah that was my era) Timing belt... Factory time was 6+ Hours add a water pump and another hour... (While you are in there a 15 minute job)
    I regularly did this in less than three hours. $$$ on the paycheck and never had a comeback. It's just being quick and precise.

Another example: Porsche 928 timing belt... I forget the factory time but always beat it by half. I would adjust the belt tension by feel and never had a problem.
    The owner of the shop who was Mr High and mighty always had comebacks because the belt was too tight and made a whining sound. He bought an expensive tension gauge and decreed everyone use it for timing belt tension. His still whined and had comebacks and while I pretended to use the gauge I didn't (His partner used to laugh) and never had a problem.
    Phoenix101 and SebRex13 like this.
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hey, is this the right plug that fits the socket on the left side of the dash?
    And what is the name of said socket? It's kind of like a cigarette lighter but smaller... I found it in the manual but it just says accessory plug.

IMAG4574.jpg
  6. Duitser

Duitser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hella power port?
  7. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Yes that is the correct plug... They are called by various names one is Powerlet. https://www.powerlet.com/products

On mine the center point was not making contact with the internal one on the bike and I had to bend the contacts inside.
    Don't let the outlet fool you it is powered by the key (ignition on) but when shut off remains powered for a few seconds before the CanBus shuts it down.
    heatmizr likes this.
  8. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    anyone figured out a good high front fender option for these cycles? Clay and front tires don't seem to mix well on mine and the ice skating bit is getting a wee bit old. Other than that, love the cycle.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Broke her cherry yesterday! Just a very minor tipover while parking next to a curb, once it started going over I knew it was happening but just couldn't stop it. This bike is ungainly while moving around by foot, compared to riding it that's for sure. Is it because of how tall it is??
    Anyway I got off relatively easy - scuffed right bar end, handguard, and just a bit on the metal muffler strap. And it re-arranged my foot brake lever that I had recently bent juuuuuust right :dirtdog

Overall not upset, got the first one out of the way.. This thing was made to beat on and I am sure I will do much worse to it at some point...
    slackline, AdamChandler and That.guy like this.
  10. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are you guys doing for a helmet lock?
  11. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    If you have Vario cases a helmet will fit in the case opposite the exhaust. Someone mentioned this and I had to try it for myself because it didn't seem right but my Neotech ll fits.
    Other than that a cable lock.
  12. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have some pics of the vario cases on the 750. Particularly the stereo metallic matte. I’m trying to decide if it’s the way I want to go and if I want black or silver.
  13. Ulfhednar_42

Ulfhednar_42 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep - I went with the silver ones. I've since added the top box, but don't have a good photo of it on there.

[​IMG]
  14. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I don’t think I have much interest in the top box but I hate not having a good place to stash my helmet or put my street clothes when going somewhere.
  15. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I can put my black cases on my wifes 750 tomorrow and get some pics if you like.
    Daechir likes this.
  16. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’d appreciate it
  17. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Here you go...
    Black cases with Stereo Matt Metallic...
    I think it looks sharp!
    I will tell you this...
    I had the aluminum skins on a set that came with a 650GS single and they don't hide scuffs and scratches as well as the black does. This is my second set of black cases and they hide the scars a bit better.
    IMG_20190902_135752.jpg IMG_20190902_135739.jpg
  18. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Now that made things harder lol.
  19. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I was going to say that you could always add the skins later but going by the pics Ulf posted it looks like the cases are made differently now. The aluminum skins were available to add to the older GS cases.
  20. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:

As a comparison the first dealer service of my R1200GS cost $650 CDN. Basically an oil/filter change and final drive fluid. I've done all my own serives after that.

I just bought an F850GS in Australia (the land of the very high minimum wage) and I paid for a package that includes 4 services (up to the 30,000 km service for approx $1350 AUD, equivalent $1211 CDN. So in Canada we are definitely being overcharged!!!
    BordenBmw likes this.