New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I was into snowmobiles a while back and I was on a Yamaha snowmobile site similar to this.
    At the time (2005-2010) the canadian members on the site were paying 10-20% more for sleds, parts and service than in the US after taking the exchange rate into account. Since the US and Canada are neighboring countries and both in North America it can be assumed that shipping costs are pretty much the same from Japan to both countries so it does not make sense.
  2. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Ski Doo (BRP) is made in Quebec but can be purchased cheaper in the USA. Less people 36 million compared to 329 million and the cost of “free insurance” and other social programs. Someone has to pay for it....
    NorthIdaho800gsa and Phoenix101 like this.
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    BDV have you worked out your issues?

I hadn't tried to do anything past connecting my phone for the BMW App until now, but I had an odd issue happen the other day I wanted to share -
    I turned on my ph BT and I *think* I connected to the bike; then programmed in my destination using BMW Connected app... Then I tried (for the FIRST time ever) to also connect my earbuds to my phone to HEAR the nav (and music) and it wouldn't connect. I gave up and threw the ear buds in the tank bag and took off. Far down the road I realized the nav wasn't giving directions as it was supposed to, it wasn't connected to the phone any longer. I tried to re-connect my phone to the bike when I gassed up, but it would NOT connect. I tried shutting down bike, trying again, restarting phone, trying again. I gave up and rode the rest of the way by memory (ha, remember that?). During those attempts to connect, the CONNECTIONS menu item in my SETTINGS list was GREYED OUT, you could scroll to it but you couldn't enter that item. I can't recall if this is normally greyed out when no BT device is detected nearby, or is it always available - and something was going haywire with mine?

Later that night once home, I turned on the dash and connected my phone no problem. The CONNECTIONS item in my list was NOT greyed out during this attempt.

I think I now realize that I tried to connect my ear buds to my phone when I instead should have connected them to the BIKE under Driver helmet #1 or whatever. Is this correct?
    I had gone into the phone list of BT devices and touched my ear buds entry, and that seems like it screwed up the connection to the bike, which kinda makes sense... but WHY couldn't I connect the phone to the bike an hour later at the gas stop?? Ear buds were not powered on at that time.
  4. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to connect my phone to the bike and then helmet to the bike. I can then play/control music and nav through the TFT screen. If I try to connect the helmet to the phone it won’t work at all. I also have a smart watch I wear sometimes that has to be put in airplane mode before I turn the bike on or it cases the phone/bike connection to fail.

I can’t get phone calls to work, I can select who to call on the TFT and it will call them but their audio and my voice are lost somewhere between the bike and my helmet. If I connect the phone direct to my helmet it all works.
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    So when you connect the ph and helmet both to the bike, everything except phone calls work.... right? I will try this in a day or two and see if mine works.
    What are you using for your "helmet"? An actual bluetooth helmet, or something else? (earbuds, etc)

How this all works is important. I intend to get a new helmet by next year, and there are honestly almost too many options; separate helmet and comm, integrated helmet/comm, BT helmet and comm, etc etc
  6. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a cheap Sena SMH5 added to the helmet and everything other than calls works.
  7. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    If you are moving the TFT will not allow you to use the "Settings" option to do anything. Bike must be stationary.
  8. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have my phone connected to the bike and my helmet connected to the bike. I can receive and make phone calls this way. To me it seems the bike has to be the hub for everything.
  9. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride my bike so I don't have to use the phone...
    apexal, bikeymikey70 and SnoDrtRider like this.
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yep bike was not running. I could access other items in the Settings, but not Connections.

Right on with the zen of riding...
    I have 30+ yrs of riding freestyle - no nav or music or anything, other than the occasional list of directions taped to my gas tank. I know a guy who WON'T start riding without his music, and I think he is nutty.
    But I def want to get more adept with nav and route planning. I hate having to pull over to check a map. And I think once mastered, the music and phone will be quite convenient and it is very novel at least at first.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  11. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the music when I ride. Hate the phone but occasionally a necessary evil.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  12. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    I finally watched an uncommonly detailed video on the connectivity and he had a very specific process to link the helmet and phone which also required two apps to be installed on the phone, the Garmin Link and the BMW Connected App. Now I have proper and seamless link between helmet phone and cycle. I believe the order was connect the helmet to TFT, phone to TFT, helmet to Nav, phone to Nav. I fought this connectivity nonsense ever since I got the bike, finally have it nailed down. Pure sorcery.
    rvsparky, SebRex13, heatmizr and 2 others like this.
  13. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you link the video so we could watch it as well?
  14. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    been looking for it, found it and imbedded it.
  15. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  16. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Can I just tell you all how much I enjoy having Cruise Control on this bike?
    Those long stints between sections of 'fun' used to get to my wrist. Especially the last parts of a ride home on a highway... Now I just engage CC, can even rest my entire right arm off the bar - a new sensation! It works quite well, bumping it up/down 1mph at a time. The release is a bit abrupt but I found that if I start adding some throttle and then shut it off, I can do it smoothly. Sure beats a Throttle Rocker!
    I was even having fun on a deserted section of 55mph road recently by riding with no hands, and steering by sticking right or left hand into the wind to act as a sail brake.
    And the light action on both the throttle and clutch are appreciated as well. No more achy wrists after a long day ride.
    mspgirl and AdamChandler like this.
  17. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saved my bacon after the WABDR this weekend. Pretty sure I have carpal tunnel, so only way to do long rides now.
  18. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that this is achievable using the cruise control, but I’m sure it was someone else, as the police here would deem this unsafe

SebRex13 and Phoenix101 like this.
  19. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too LOVE the cruise control but not the abrupt shut off... learned slight pull on the clutch handle or twisting the throttle all the way off... creates a much smoother shut off of cruise
  20. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the value setup on this engine? I see the check interval is about half of my Tenere's 23K mile check.

Is this one shim under bucket, or some type? My buddy with a 1200 GS tells me it's a very quick process on his boxer engine. Obviously head access is different, but wondering if the short interval indicates an easier check/adjust process.