New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Is the service manual STILL NOT AVAILABLE for this bike??? This is insane.
    I just emailed my local BMW (& Ducati/Triumph) dealer to ask if they have seen one yet. How are their techs working on the bikes??
    As evidenced by the abundant over-tightened oil filters here perhaps they are spit-balling it just like us.
  2. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    smoore and AdamChandler like this.
  3. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    BMW techs have access to tech info on the BMW Intranet service
  4. Daechir

Daechir Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, my coworker just bought a lowered F850GS, and some of the parts in this list will be useful to him!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. stinger17

stinger17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1890899 273BBE63-7F9A-4E7C-AB43-22B8F1927079.jpeg
    Thought I’d post this picture of my 750GS. The windshield is a MADSTAD and is available in different heights. It includes the ‘wings’ as well. LOVE IT!!!!
    273BBE63-7F9A-4E7C-AB43-22B8F1927079.jpeg
    dharmab and AdamChandler like this.
  7. stinger17

stinger17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    What height is that?
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    stinger - did that adj bracket come with the windshield? Does it mount right up to the stock body?
    I like how smooth that shield is, looks like it would promote clean air flow. Can you pls give us the measurement of that screen from bottom to top?

Also, are those smaller side screens separate? Can they be left off? (or maybe only mounted in winter...)

I was thinking of sourcing the GSA adj bracket (and either stock GSA screen or another) and mounting it on my non-A GS, but I haven't verified it fits.
  10. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife used that exact Madstad setup this summer on a 6K mile ride on her 750. We've used Madstad on most all bikes we've had in the last 10 years, but she said this particular setup was the best she's ever had for wiping out any buffeting. It's a winner.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Dad - you mean stinger's setup, or what I mentioned w the GSA bracket?

Also, how tall is she?
  12. Dirt_Dad

Oddometer:
    The photo that Stinger is showing in the picture is how her bike looks. Complete with the small wind blocks around the turn signals. She's 5' 6" with a 29" inseam (I think). She's on the lowered 750 with factory low seat.

Couple pictures of where she has it set. Was able to look over it and ride comfortably at 83mph out west.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm mostly concerned with helmet buffeting, 5'9+. As well as not having the screen in my line of sight at all.
  14. Dirt_Dad

Oddometer:
    I don't believe she has it set as high as it goes. Just as high as she needed it to take care of the wind for her. Hard to beat a Madstad for fine tuning the wind protection. This is the first time we've ever used their particular screen. In the past we've used the MRA Vario Touring screen with a Madstad with good results. She is very satisfied with this setup.
    heatmizr and AdamChandler like this.
  15. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the Madstad, you can order different sizes on the screen, depending upon your height, I got a 22”, but you can order 18” or 20”. I’m 5’11, and mine sits at the low setting, can see over the top of the screen, and no buffeting. Was riding at 120km/h with visor open on road helmet, and was reasonably quite. Frame mounts into holes for original screen IMG_6765.JPG
    AdamChandler and heatmizr like this.
  16. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Great news! Thanks guys!
    I just read their site, I like how thoughtfully they designed it. The 20" might be perfect.

One final question that I didn't see answered on their site, is it adjustable while riding, or without tools?
  17. Dirt_Dad

Oddometer:
    No tools needed for adjustment, but you're not going to do it on the fly. At least I would strongly recommend against it.
    bikeymikey70 and heatmizr like this.
  18. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I noticed my phone in the Acacia adapter mounted in the OE Nav bracket on the triple vibrates like crazy when I am off-road. It seems to wobble at high frequency on the 4 rubber padded mount points. I am a little worried its going to shake my phone until it breaks inside! As I am getting a new phone in a month or two, I'd like to solve this and spare my new phone the abuse.
    I know what you'll say, I need to move the phone/nav mount up above the dash, and I do plan to do that but its taking time to research wind screens first, then compatible nav brackets, etc.
    --> Any ideas to decrease the vibes in the stock Nav mount location until then? Diff rubber washers? Rigid mount with no rubber washers?

*Follow-up question... I was looking at the position above the dash screen where the nav will eventually go, and was thinking its harder to reach while riding than the triple location. Has anyone mounted the nav up above the dash AND kept the triple mount location for running the phone in addition? Three screens top to bottom, Nav, dash, and phone... Would have to run additional power wire to one but that is doable.
  19. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Photos of the Madstad w/ Barkbusters on an F750GS. No risers installed though and wind screen is in low position. 18" clear screen.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    SnoDrtRider and heatmizr like this.
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Great reference pics!
    Hey for all you (other) Madstat-ers, if you could specify which size screen you have that would Really help others judge what size to go with.

Q on the BarkBusters, does the inboard mount replace the stock mirror mount?
    AdamChandler likes this.