New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What gps relocation mount is that?
  2. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, the mount inboard of them. I just put mine on this weekend and it was super easy, on,y hangul was Twisted Throttle not sending the plastic covers with mine.

39896CCB-DF54-438A-8226-01A978F23D40.jpeg DE48359C-383D-4B5D-A9CC-8B9D292ACF48.jpeg
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a huge issue, but the manual says you can adjust the volume by turning the menu wheel, when playing media files through helmet speakers, but mine doesn’t work, and other people are having the same issue. Can skip songs ok by pushing wheel up or down, using Spotify on an iphone.
  5. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I haven't even attempted media over Bluetooth yet as I have no headset. However during Navigation I noticed at times (maybe when instructions were being spoken?) there is an opportunity to push the wheel to the right and it appeared to show a volume bar on the right side of the screen... Perhaps that's how you can adjust it?

This would jive with the way in BMW cars you can only adjust the Nav voice up or down while it is actually speaking.

Or, perhaps a software update is needed...
  7. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Volume adjustment has never worked for me in any mode.
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I'll attempt to pair some earbuds & my android ph to the bike and report my findings.

*** UPDATE ***
    Confirmed, no volume functionality with random BT ear buds, using android phone as source.

This is maddening. I don't even see how, technologically, it would skip, shuffle, etc WITHOUT controlling volume, EXCEPT for a BMW device... unless it was intentionally designed that way. IF that is the case, well then screw them.
    Harley has done something similar (my friend tells me) with their BT setup, trying to force ppl to buy their system.
  9. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression that the volume control only works with the BMW headset. Other brands - Cardo, Sena, etc - cannot be controlled with the wheel.
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Life is too complicated
    I just reviewed three sections of the owner's manual and TWO of them don't sepcify that, and the third says "Turning increases or decreases the volume of a BMW Motorrad communication system connected via bluetooth" but doesn't call out that it ONLY works with that.
    This manual is shit IMO. Wording is ambiguous, WAY too confusing and not organized in the way I can easily use it. (the way they jump between TFT and standard dash instructions)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gave up trying to pair my sena 30 and Phone weeks ago, this weekend riding in the rain, everything started working, Music, Playlist and phone book. Was able to make a call with the rotary dial,,,,pretty slick but doubt I will ever be able to recreate it again
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Just getting on a BMW now:
    1. Turn on Helmet
    2. Turn on bike
    3. Put on gloves
    4. Wait 20 seconds for TFT to find your helmet and phone
    5. Shit, can't unlock iPhone cause FaceID doesn't work with helmet
    6. Take off gloves and unlock with passcode
    7. Find a song with 50 million to choose from
    8. Start playing music
    9. Open Rever, start tracking ride
    10. Put on gloves, turns out your Key Fob is in your backpack in the top box and now bike won't start
    11. get off bike, take key out and put it in your pocket
    12. bike has turned off after being on too long w/o starting
    13. restart bike and wait for bluetooth to pair again (20 seconds)
    14. Get on bike, start riding, music pauses and the play / pause in TFT isn't working
    15. Pull over, take off glove, hit play again
    16. For some reason the wonder wheel's next command in the media screen isn't working so now you can't go to next song and you're stuck listening to some crap pop song that you forgot to delete from your library in 2005.

"Make life a ride" - BMW.

------

and this is not exaggerated. this is literally something I go through once a week (should probably record this with a GoPro to show my pain). Lately, I've actually gone back to having my iPhone paired with my Sena directly and use the Sena Remote on my handlebar and ignore the TFT stuff completely. When it works, it's nice to hop on the bike and control the songs from the TFT. It's really nice to see your rides in the Connected App on the BMW screen when the iPhone is connected but the connectivity features cause more harm than good. It's way faster to pick a song in my garage, turn on helmet and Send picks up and just starts playing and I use the handlebar remote to turn volume up or go to next song and just let the bike's TFT be a big speedometer.

I've also bought a RevLink so I no longer have to manually track rides - https://rlink.com/products/rlink/ it does it automatically w/o me having to do that extra step so I can keep ht iPhone fully disconnected from my BMW and only synced with Sena.

My setup is R1200GS w/ TFT, Sena SRL for Netotec II, iPhone XS. Bike is running the latest software (LOL) and so is the Sena / iPhone.
    rvsparky likes this.
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I'm sure millennials love it but I wholeheartedly agree. When it works, its wonderful. But if you can't rely on it to work every time, that adds so much pain...You multiply the odds of issues every time you add another device.
    Hell I couldn't even get my phone and bike to find each other on one ride at a gas stop. Turned both off/on repeatedly and finally gave up.
    But Wait A Minute... I have ridden for 31 years without ANY of this crap and managed to have lots of fun anyway!!

I was just reading BMW's Connectivity webpage and it states:
    "Connectivity gives motorcyclists the opportunity to focus on what really matters: the streets waiting to be discovered."
    LOL, no, actually they are pushing buttons and making calls, scrolling menus and trying to pair 3 devices while rolling down the highway.
    bobw, ihaha, bikeymikey70 and 2 others like this.
  14. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Face ID with iPhone will work with helmet on if you get it to focus on your eyes. Don’t ask me how I know but I’ve been down that road and I accidentally got it to work this way.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I've been trying for a year w/ my neotec (with just the face shield up) and haven't had luck. If I open up the modular part, it does work. I've tried adding alternative face and still doesn't work.
  16. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies regarding the connectivity, seems like it is just one of those things.
    I got a new Ford Ranger Ute, and the microphone wasn’t working. Dealer spent 2 days with computers and Ford Techs, checking software, turns out the wiring to the microphone was not installed properly, which was the first thing I would have checked
    I find the BMW menu distracts you from paying attention to the road, which is not a good idea on a bike
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Feeling pissy today. I need a damn clutch lever, why is it this hard to find a stock one online!
    BobsBMW and ShopBMWmotorcycles.com don't even list our bike model in their selection filters. WTF
    *--> Ok it seems that on SOME sites you have to choose 2018 or even 2017(!) in the filters for it to show our model instead of 2019. But on others it never comes up.
    I finally ordered one from MAX BMW.

Found this though on RealOEM, it has some hidden OE accessory goodies:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=0B19-USA-01-2019-K81-BMW-F_850_GS_0B09,_0B19_
    smoore likes this.
  18. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    I posted a video a while ago that went through the detail on how to pair the headset and phone and the correct order, since doing that with a Sena 20s it has been pretty flawless.....although the TFT pairing appears to be happening later than it once did for some reason. Pair phone to TFT, pair headset to TFT, pair phone to GPS, pair headset to Garmin(on Sena it required pairing with the second device.....hold down jog button until pairing started then press the small button on back and it pairs as secondary). I have found that when it doesn't work as expected it becomes a distracting annoyance, which then annoys me further that I'm bothered.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  19. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I followed this video and it seemed to work better... Until it didn't.
    I agree it is taking longer for the TFT to find my phone most of the time.
    I have been in contact with the BMW Connected Team via E-mail and according to them there is no sequence of pairing required as shown on some videos. They did admit that they are having some issues with Sena headsets though.
    We are going to be in the area of our dealer next week and I am going to see about the TFT Firmware update.
  20. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    Strangely, my Sena is the one thing I don’t have an issue pairing reliably.