New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Yeah well I have an older Sena SMH-5-FM which is BT 3.0 or 3.1 and before I go and spend $300 on a new headset I'll get all of the free updates I can.
    BT is supposed to be 100% backwards compatible between versions... Something is not communicating correctly. First start of the day everything syncs up fine but when I stop for fuel or lunch when I restart the bike the headset tells me the "Phone is connected" and "Device is connected" (Nav6) but the TFT does not connect to the Sena. Sometimes I will turn the Sena of and on and it will connect, other times after repeated power cycles of the Sena suddenly 5-15 miles down the road the helmet icon on the TFT turns on and music starts. Meantime before this happens the BT icon on the TFT is flashing as if it is looking for the lost connection but if I pull over to see what is going on and go to "Connections" menu on the TFT it shows no riders helmet device available.
  2. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    The TFT is inconsistent and annoying. Does the same thing with my sena 20s from time to time some of the time. I attribute this to BMW in my experience. The TFT just seems inconsistent and reacts strangely after breaks for some reason. When it goes full stupid it won’t pair anything and just flashes the Bluetooth symbol constantly
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  3. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    The only thing that seems consistent is inconsistency... At least it is not isolated issues and seems most are having issues of some sort.
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  4. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Which implies there is a bug (or at least an optimization opportunity) in the software/firmware.
    Which also implies it will get fixed... IF BMW knows about it.
    How can we make sure that they do?

Unless the issue is with the hundreds of other devices we try to connect to the bike, not being perfect...
    Is this a GS TFT issue, or a universal issue with other models / makes?
  5. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    BMW knows about the issue... I have been emailing the Connected team back and forth. They admit a problem with Sena Devices. I told them I would report back after I had the bike to my dealer to check for and install any updates... If that does not fix the problem my next step will be to update my headset.
    In bluetooth the oldest tech is usually the suspect which would be my headset which is BT 3.0 the latest standard on Sena is 4.0 - 4.1 which is faster. I am thinking my headset my not be fast enough to communicate with all of my devices at the same time.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/bluetooth-versions-comparison-profiles
  6. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was using an old SMH10 headset which is also BT 3.0, and was having a lot of issues with it connecting to the TFT. That along with the fact that it was showing other signs of it's age; weak battery and rattly speaker, led me to upgrade to the 10S. I now have no issue with the connection of the headset to the TFT. I do still have a lot of the other issues noted by others like music playback stopping or just not working without manually starting it on my Pixel 2 phone and the long wait for it to connect. Hopefully BMW will sort these problems and update the TFT. If not, I'll likely just skip using it to connect to and go direct from the phone to the headset like I always used to do.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  7. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I use PowerAmp for music playback on my 2XL and that is one thing I never have issue with as long as the headset connects. I was using Google Music but that always required me to manually start playback even when I had my 800GS and I was phone to senna directly.
    MCMXCIVRS likes this.
  8. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    We are going to be in the area of our dealer on vacation next week and I have already contacted them about checking for updates and they told me to just bring it in. I am currently on Software Version 001_018_040 so I will get back on here once I visit the dealer and report. My issue is we are over 150 miles from our dealer so I can't just pop over for every little issue.
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Well we can't say there is just ONE issue, being with Sena devices. I don't own a Sena anything. I have a 4 yr old Android ph, and new BT earbuds, which I tested with the bike yesterday. They all worked that day - because I knew I had to pair my earbuds with the BIKE, not with the Phone.

A couple weeks ago, I posted THIS
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-2018-750-850gs-merged-threadfest.1264438/page-110#post-38331114

Does the CONNECTIONS menu only become accessible when a BT device is detected nearby??
    Maybe it only searches for devices at boot up, and then again every x mins / seconds, which is why you guys are waiting a while for it to find your devices?

Make sure you tell the Connected team about that!
  10. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well shit. I've been milking the stock Anakee 3 tires for 1900 miles and they've been ok but they finally got me today. Coming down a fairly steep sandy part of road on Cheyenne Mountain and the back tire just sank in and slid out. No real damage though, a few scratches and I had to tighten the mirror that spun loose and pop the turn signal back into place.

IMG_20190919_135553.jpg
    stege and AdamChandler like this.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    You def are That Guy now!
    Good going on the minimal damage. That speaks well for fixable small offs.
    Try the Metzeler Karoo 3s, I like em, though I'm no dirt expert.

Only issue I have had is with some deceptive wierd damp clay in the mountains where I almost lost the front three times in 15 mins. Even going real slow. Talk about pucker.
    But I'm not sure another tire would have fared any better.
    That.guy likes this.
  12. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Anakee 3s seem fine for what I use them for- 95% commuting, 5% canyons, touring and dirt. But I definitely do not trust them for deep sand or mud. Luckily there's not a lot of mud here in the desert :)
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I am doing a road riding weekend rally soon on the Metzeler karoo 3s, and I will have to remind myself that they are not dedicated sport riding street tires...
    I have a feeling that I will be pushing them a bit on the twisties, I hope not too far.
    osufrdave likes this.
  14. That.guy

Oddometer:
    They're definitely not bad tires. I'd say 1100 miles of my 1900 have been off pavement and that was the first time I've laid the bike down. It's been sketchy before but always recoverable. Mine have been all over Alaska and up the Dalton highway so they are pretty capable for being a fancy street tire.
    osufrdave likes this.
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:

(1)
    Ok so at ~1700 mi it appeared my chain had quite a bit of slack so I had to order a gigantic 34mm socket and finally adjusted it the other night.
    I enlarged the pic in the owners manual on the chain adjustment and if you look real close at the arrows it shows the measurement from the top of the chain when pulled down, to the bottom of the chain when lifted up… ??
    Is this intentional / accurate?
    or are all you assuming (like me) they mean from top to tp, or bottom to bottom, in other words the actual distance it moves?
    chain sag.jpg
    Anyway I tightened it up some, overdid it, then tried 2 more times, and dang if it didn't end up quite close to where it was in the first place.

(2)
    The tq spec for the rear axle nut in the owners manual (of of the few it gives!) is ~73 ft-lb. No Way was my axle nut that tight when I removed it!
    It also calls for loctite unlike any other bike axle nut I've ever messed with... but I think that is more common on these adv bikes. with other bolts too.

I also noticed that when I dropped my front down on the forks that my triple clamp "bridge" pinch bolts did not seem very tight either...
    I went by memory from my last bike and tightened them to ~12-14 ft-lb but since then I have found the spec for the F800 and the 1250 and both are 18 ft-lb, so I will go back and tighten those.

I may have gotten a "monday bike" but anyway, a warning to anyone that cares... might be GREAT advice to go check torque on the critical fasteners.. If you can find out what the freaking tq specs are without a freakin shop manual <grrrrr>
  16. That.guy

Oddometer:
    I just tightened my chain at about 1900 miles and thought my nut wasn’t at 73ft/lbs when I broke it loose either. I measured from the middle of the chain and did not use locative when reassembling.
  17. smoore

smoore Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree completely. My brake lever broke off at the notch due to a drop. Apparently *none* of the standard aftermarket companies make levers for these bikes. I even emailed Pazzo to see if they had a timeline for developing brake/clutch levers for these models. The reply was essentially "not anytime soon."

I did find these Chinese/Hong Kong/Taiwan-made levers on eBay during my googling. Wondering if experimenting with them is worth $60:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Billet...var=442294065708&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Also: Puig apparently makes levers for these bikes (check Revzilla), but you have to buy each perch and lever separately. And of course, the perch for the clutch lever is out of stock *everywhere* including Revzilla....
  18. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    That pic doesn't even look later like a 750/850 swing arm?
  19. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hey SMOORE -
    This brake lever mount (perch) is in stock right now, Grab one!
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-brake-lever-mount-bmw-s1000xr-r-ninet-f750gs-f850gs
    The clutch perch is still Out Of Stock...

I don't see anything wrong with those Chinese shorty levers, they look solid. (I don't like shorty levers myself)
    & I agree, the Puig's 2.0 levers seem to be the only ones out there so far.

BTW - there is a separate ACCESSORIES Thread for our bikes, here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/f750-850gs-accessories.1394856/page-20
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Sure it does!