New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I was smart being early to the game of getting the Puig levers. I tried getting them through FortNine who is the Canadian dealer, but they did not have stock and couldn't say when they would. Revzilla did have them, so I ordered through them; that was back in early June though. IMG_20190625_174757-resize.jpg
  2. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What kind of handlebar protection are those, and do the interfere with the GSA fairing or TFT like the barkbusters?
  3. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are the Machine Art Moto gaurds. Have to use risers for them to clear the TFT. I have the 1 1/2" up and back style Rox risers on. I also took a little material off the piece that clamps around the bars as it was close to rubbing the top of the tank at lock.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    What's up with risers? I will admit my inexperience here. Can you all educate me on why each of you have installed them?
    Is it exclusively for comfort / positioning while standing? I stand occasionally but maybe I'm doing it wrong.
    Is probably some information on this forum somewhere about this, if anyone can point me to it.
  5. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you provide more info on your riser setup? My wife has the straight up riser, but could use some back to it. She misses the Rox she had on her Tenere. You're the first I've seen using the Rox on the BMW.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Risers will disrupt the steering geometry and how your inputs affect the bike. I find risers offer enough pros to offset the cons but generally I don't recommend them until someone is either complaining about their back or shoulders hurting while touring as in you want to be upright but can't due to how far away the bars are from you OR if you are doing a lot of standing and find even in proper position of legs bent, you can't reach the handlebars. Risers help make long days & standing days easier

but I hate how the bike steers with risers. It feel less direct and requires more input so I don't like recommending risers to everyone.
  7. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are the fixed risers, not the pivoting type. The clearance for the hand gaurds to the TFT was just a bonus. I wanted the bars in a better position for standing on the pegs, I found them too low stock. These place the bars in a much better spot for both seated and standing.

[​IMG]
    Dirt_Dad likes this.
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Thanks Adam, makes sense. I'm still a noobish adv rider, but so far have no complaints stock.
    I will pay attention to how they feel when I stand up next time. Sitting they feel fine.
    Agree, I have no intention of adding unless I need to.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the stock bar position. I find that it gets my weight up over the tank in a good, balanced position. I just wish the TFT didn't interfere with almost every handguard on the market.
    heatmizr likes this.
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same predicament trying to decide on handguards without a riser...
    Has anyone looked at the way the TFT is mounted, can it be moved up or forward an inch with a bracket maybe?
    Will take a look.
  11. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wondering if a sillicon case could be made for the TFT to protect the edge.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is the cable/brake line length with these risers? Do you have a picture of the mod you had to do to avoid hitting the tank?
  13. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cable length is fine, no issue or adjustmet at all. The mod was just milling a small flat on the bend of the support arm that attaches to the bars. I can try to get a photo later.
    Dirt_Dad likes this.
  14. rfk76

rfk76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey,

So it's been a year since I have bought my F850GS and today I went to do obligatory service.
    I saw on YouTube that TFT software is already available in Polish, so I have asked if they are going to update my bikes software. They said they can do it, but it costs 175 USD (700PLN).

What a surprise.
    Whenever I am updating maps in my car it is also updating infosystem software and this is for free.
    I guess with BMW it doesn't work that way...

Luckily I do not mind my TFT in English and this has no influence on bike performance, so I said no to that 175 bucks offer...

Cheers,
    rfk
  15. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I just had mine done at the dealer... No charge. Tell them you have been in contact with the BMW "Connected" Team regarding connectivity issues and they suggested the update.

Just a heads up... The update takes up to four hours to complete mine took a little over 3 hours plugged into the equipment. Once started it cannot be stopped until complete.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Your dealer will bill BMW for the time and since BMW is pretty aggressive about warranty work now, the dealer just needs a good enough reason. Mine just told me to cite bluetooth issues and dropped connections (which is true) and the dealer also recommended I do it during a normal maintenance since it takes so long but since I do my own work, I just had them do the update.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Sounds like rfk was looking to change his dflt language to Polish, not an ordinary software update.

Snodrt & Adam, are you saying that they are charging for normal software updates??

They also quote 3-4 hrs for auto software updates. Incredible! Wtf takes so long?? Are they using a usb 1.0 cable?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Adam...
    Have you found your connections to be any better? I have not... I will be updating my Sena to an SRL hopefully that helps.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    You need to realize not all dealers are in areas that have Gig speed internet available. The update does not reside on the dealer system, every update comes down directly from BMW Servers wherever they may be. A lot of data needs to be installed and confirmed as they need to document everything to the government if need be. You are talking electronic engine and braking controls, etc. No room for error.
    Pch123 and AdamChandler like this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    They are charging for updates if your bike is out of warranty.

Once you are out of warranty, they are going to charge you for these. It occupies a service station for the full 3 hours and my dealer only has one station w/ the updater tool so they can update 2 bikes per day and many TFT owners are just asking for updates every time they get service. BMW already scrutinizes a warranty claim demanding photos & diagnostics so the dealers are concerned about BMW not reimbursing them for the update process and they'll lose money on doing it.

I've had my bike updated only once a year ago (R1200GS) and it got better but it's nowhere near perfect. My bike still forgets my Sena and iPhone sometimes.

I guess all I can say is that get that last software update before your warranty is up.