1. eNewsletter Sign Up

New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I bet it's not on the sending side, the cars/bikes hardware and the connection to them are likely the issue. I can DL a movie to my phone 10x faster over wireless than using a USB cable.
    To compound the lengthy update process, it's required whenever they install virtually any new component (on autos anyway) like a sensor or control component, most of which you can't understand how it could require an update. One of ours got a new radio head unit: 3 hr software update. What?
    I know there's stuff going on that I don't understand...
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my day job, I work a lot with OEMs and Auto Manufacturers. Safety is a huge priority and when dealing with integrated systems, they just don't take any chances. Also, they're many times using hardware stacks that are really old. There could be some temp sensor or water pump or relay that is found in a Volvo 20 years old being put into a modern thing and so there are thousands of these little integrations to make it all work together then each install is tested 10 times to make sure there are no issues.

I do work for the company supplying the maps to the BMW Connected system (the maps area on the smartphone app is all us delivered through our LBS/NDS system) so I'm not specifically calling out BMW here and saying the entire industry is like this.

Your modern car has over 1000 sensors and each of them report out to a central location. A luxury German car is known to create over a terabyte of data each day, 99% of which is discarded as soon as the ECU/CanBus system gets a note that the window is open at 70% and door is ajar and a rain drop is sensed on the windshield so most of this is thrown out but the data moving through the car is huge. Our bikes are becoming the same.
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    TY for that interesting info Adam.
    One law of the universe that I hope will be published at some point is that humans, given enough time, will over complicate every aspect of the world until its unsustainable.

This is why used modern BMWs make perfect cars for mechanics to own. (might as well add BMW bikes in there too!)
    I know all this makes me sound like a luddite. But I actually do prefer the newer stuff, and mitigate the expense of maintenance by doing whatever I can on my own.
    This is why I am so annoyed that they have no service manual available yet.
    rfk76 and AdamChandler like this.
  4. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the 750/850 engine was designed in house at BMW, or farmed out? (800 was Rotax I read)
    I am asking about the DESIGN, not the manufacture of the engine which is in China.
  5. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I am a (former) ASE Certified and Alfa Romeo Certified Master Tech... The Electronics IMO actually make the vehicles more reliable and safer.

The only problem is that it makes service (Other than oil changes, valve adjustments, wheel bearing, chain and sprocket service and tires) a dealer only option for most. Even adding auxiliary lighting or a louder horn properly requires an interface with the Can-bus system. Cars have been like this for years where people think they can just change a part and all will be good... The part needs to be recognized by the on board systems and in order for that to happen you need to be able to tell it that you removed part XYZ and replaced it with ZXC.
    The first thing I did when we started riding BMWs is buy a GS-911 this at least lets you reset service reminders and diagnose the electronics fairly accurately without a bunch of additional equipment such as a DVOM or a Lab Scope. At least you have the ability to check and see if you need to take the bike to a dealer to repair it or if you can just replace the part on your own and all will be well.
    heatmizr and AdamChandler like this.
  6. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone asked the dealer if they’re able to adjust the TPMS trigger pressures?
    heatmizr likes this.
  7. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in that too, though I have gotten used to just going by the shown psi, rather than the color indicator. Its too hard to distinguish for me as I have some red-green colorblindness. But to get the warning turned off would be nice. I doubt they can do it though.

On another note, my indicated front tire pressure seems to stick at 32.7 psi. If I add a bit of air, no change. Let some out, no change. I believe it showed higher when I first got the bike and hadn't reduced the psi to "solo rider no luggage" yet...
  8. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I asked about it today when I was getting new tire shop put on and was told that they don’t think they can do it. The guy at the service counter said other people have asked about it but they’ve never done it, whether it was because it’s not possible or they don’t know how wasn’t clear.
  9. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question: when removing the GPS mount off the risers to relocate what are you guys doing about the longer OEM bolts that originally mount the GPS?
  10. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I went to the local Ace Hardware and bought short button head cap screws (Stainless Steel / Allen Head) and washers to put under them and put them in the tall bolts. They don't bother me being tall.
  11. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're not worried about them if you go over the bars?
  12. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I have a tank bag... If I go over the bars the bolts are the least of my worries.
    TexasMule and heatmizr like this.
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I don't have my phone in front of me to play with, but regarding the Connectivity App, does it have the capability to do multi-point trip planning?
    I can't really find any tutorial online. One BMW video on YT just says for more complex trip planning to use their Navigator.
  14. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did some awesome muddy off-roading yesterday.
    The F850GS Adventure is awesome to go off-road with!!
    Pic is taken where the roads where getting a lot better again, a couple KM's before this it was deep muddy trenches dug out by military vechiles. But not a single dropped till I had to turn to bike around because of a tree on the road... more clumsyness then a problem of the bike. IMG_1627.jpg
  15. Daechir

Daechir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just went to the dealer and got the shorter ones. I wanted the OEM bolt for the quality. I didn't know what the strength needed to be.
    SnoDrtRider and AdamChandler like this.
  16. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    The fasteners on these bikes are fascinating!! Very nice looking pieces.
    Do you happen to have any part numbers for those bolts for the rest of us? I'll prob order some online when I finally move my nav bracket.
  17. Daechir

Daechir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    heatmizr likes this.
  18. osufrdave

osufrdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having the same experience with mine. This is a fantastic off roader!
  19. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you guys encountered any false neutrals with these bikes?

Sometimes when I use the quick shift and shift from 3 -> 4 or 4 -> 5 i get a false neutral, lots of revs because still on the gas, and then it shifts over to the next gear with a kinda loud clunk......
    Seem to be happening when I'm not pushing the shift lever hard enoegh for the quick shift to do a full shift.

Is this bad for the gearbox and should it be looked at by a dealer? It does happen rarely, like once every 500km's or so.
    Bike is on 5500 km / 3500 miles.
  20. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    The quick shift does not take the place of properly shifting (full stroke on the shift lever) it only controls throttle in order to allow the gears to mesh easier. I have shifted without the clutch for many years without the quick shift... It is just a matter of matching the engine speed to the selected gear.