New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. burangs

burangs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are looking at the beak mounts —be cautious. The GSA is different than the GS.
  2. iamadventurous

iamadventurous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I lost my key FOB and plan to order a replacement from my dealer. In the meantime I can start the bike with the little grey key, but on my F750GS I have to remove the seat to access the radio antenna where the key must be held to start. Needless to say this means that if I happen to a stall the bike at a traffic light I would have to push the bike, get off, get the seat off and then restart. Not particularly safe or fun to do so. I was wondering if there is any harm in just taping the key to the antenna under the seat (provided the seat can actually close with the key tapped there). Has anyone done this?
    Duitser likes this.
  3. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If something goes wrong, how do you get the seat off?
    bobw likes this.
  4. iamadventurous

Oddometer:
    Yes, I thought of that and have jammed the mechanism under the seat that locks it. After messing around with it more, I think I will just have to wait for the new FOB before riding around.
    bobw and bikeymikey70 like this.
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I thought you could also hold that key below the sensor underneath the tail section? So you could do it without removing the seat... Maybe you can attach it there temporarily? Try it and let us know please.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  6. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Burangs, I know, but hope the fitment chart is accurate on the Twistedthrottle website.
  7. burangs

burangs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found it not to be. I got stuck with the Denali mounts, but rigged them to work. TT revised their listing based on my experience. They did not revise the SW-M listing —and I think they might even be a more difficult rig. Fingers crossed for you.
  8. iamadventurous

Oddometer:
    Tried that but it doesn’t start up. Short of taking off the seat the only place it seems to work is if I hold it against the frame between the seat and the key lock to open up the seat. I think I could go ride now and in case of a stall restart the bike in a reasonable amount of time. I went to the dealership and ordered a FOB. They were happy to take $344 and make me wait a week. In the meantime I miss out on one of the last nice weekends in New England.
  9. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    WTF! :hair:ace
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Ugh. Well, an expensive lesson.
    I keep my key in an internal pocket in my jacket because I don't want to keep moving it around ; it never leaves.

BTW, I got a message on my TFT the other day that my "Remote battery at 50% - no loss of function."
    Seems awfully early to have to deal with this. Bought bike in late May.
    Perhaps the batteries were installed in Germany at production and been slowly dying since?

For reference my car fob seems to last a few years.
    Netaron likes this.
  11. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the exact same message yesterday and like you I thought wow already?
  12. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    We keep our keys in the Nav Mount as the dealer did. When we ride the keys go into a zipped jacket pocket and when we get home the keys go back in the Nav mount. This is so if I want/need to start the bikes I don't go inside and get the Key Fobs.
    rvsparky likes this.
  13. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I keep my fob in my backpack at all times and don't take it out.
  14. iamadventurous

Oddometer:
    I misplaced it after an injury kept me off my bike for two months. In any case I was prepared to be fleeced when I walked into the dealership. This is what I get for buying a BMW. Since the Japanese don’t wise up about offering low suspension models, it was between a low suspension 750 and the low suspension Tiger. I don’t regret the purchase, but do wish I could put it on a diet till it lost 150lbs.
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue going inside to get the key all the time, but my coat hangs right over the bike so now its close enough being in the pocket, that I can turn the ignition on.
  16. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    No science to back this up but from what I've read, if you keep your key on or by the bike at all times, it wears down the battery faster because they're talking to each other. The bike sends out little pings for the key intermittently. If you keep the key in another room or at least 10 feet away, the battery will last at least 1 year. A tiny calculator battery is just good to keep in a little baggy under your seat in the same bag as registration & insurance info. but TFT does give a lot of warning when the battery is running low.
    Shin1ichi2002 and heatmizr like this.
  17. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I keep my key in my jacket pocket which is inside the house no where near the bike. I got the low battery signal a month in from when I got the bike. I chalked it up to pre installed. Possibly kept with the bike before purchase (as mentioned here). Replaced it and it’s been a few months now with no issues as expected.

I buy tools (I.e. mitutoyo calipers, etc) all the time with preloaded batteries, this happens all the time. Initial battery has short life.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Any idea why the bike would ping the key if no one is pressing the ignition button?
    Another thought, my jacket actually hangs about 2.5 ft from the tft. When I want to turn on ignition, I have to pull the jacket closer to the bike, apparently 2.5 ft is too far. So, by that observation, I don't think the bike knows the key is nearby but just out of range...
    I think sfsmedic has it right....
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    We bring our gear in the house so it is easier to get dressed on ride days. Helmets, Boots, Pants and Jackets come inside. Here in Jersey it can be 30 degrees on the morning of a ride... putting on a cold jacket is not my idea of fun.
  20. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    @burangs you were correct. Back to the drawing board. Not even close. Going to look at the 750 we have to see the difference and maybe make it work. If not it is the crash bar mounts.
    burangs likes this.