New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. stege

stege Wonderer

Oddometer:
    Plagued by the battery, corroding spokes and sticky fork problems on the 16 Africa Twin, I'm leaning towards a base model 850GS (standard dashboard) as a replacement. 2 questions:

1. how does it compare with the old 800gs and the crf africa twin?
    2. cannot find a 850GS problem thread. aren't there any? :hmmmmm

Thank you.
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I rented an 800 for a week and they are in the same ballpark, but the new one has a much better motor and feels just a little more modern.

Some folks are finding the Bluetooth connections finicky.
    The stock plastic handguards Flex when the bike drops and breaks the levers.

That's about it! Oh yeah there's no service manual available, so wrenching on your own is a bit difficult.
    Most don't have a ton of miles on them yet... But so far so good.
    stege likes this.
  3. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TFT BT connectivity is spotty. I've stopped using it. Agree on the worthless handguards. I put on Barkbusters. You said standard dashboard, but if you end up springing for nav, it's in the worst spot they could put it and still call it usable... Fork is a little soft. Will be putting in progressive springs this winter.
    stege likes this.
  4. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    I have over 18k km since April on my F850GSA, no major issues just the bolts on the chain guard.

Ackme, ihaha, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  5. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like the video. How was the sand?
  6. smoore

smoore Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Puig levers and perches finally arrived yesterday, so I'll be installing them today.

I've installed Pazzos on all of my Japanese bikes in past. Is there anything special I need to know about installing levers on a BMW?
  7. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    I'm not very good in sand but the 850GSA is way better in the sand than my old 800GSA. The new 850 has a stronger frame and the steering damper sure help. Also in Utah when you see a sign saying to "stay on main road" I now know why. That powdery sand will eat any vehicles lol.
  8. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've written up the issues I've run into here: https://github.com/dharmab/bmw-f750gs-f850gs/blob/master/known-issues.md

- TPMS is inaccurate
    - Stock brake pedal difficult to use when standing
    - Clutch overheats very easily, before the engine gets close to overheating
    bobw likes this.
  9. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the TPMS actually inaccurate though? According to BMW it displays an adjusted pressure based off temperature so it won’t match a standard gauge. The stock brake does suck, I added the Touratech enlarger on and it’s still only marginal in my opinion.
  10. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine seems to read consistently a few PSI low at all temperatures, and I've checked with a few different gauges.
    bobw and rvsparky like this.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    @dharmab
    I don't understand the part about the clutch overheating in your writeup.
    I know that clutch plates can get "burned up" and loose their friction, but what are you saying is expanding or contracting to change the clutch action?
    It would seem that if anything was expanding when hot, it would have the opposite effect you describe, and reduce clearances, tightening the action instead of loosening.
  12. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I understand it, heat expansion can also effect the clutch springs and the clutch cable, which can cause additional slack.

I've had personal experience with this in 5mph traffic on the highway.
  13. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I am not convinced that the clutch springs or cable could be affected by temperature by any amount that would impact operation of the clutch.
    But I can't think of anything to offer as an alternate theory. Unless it's all in the cable adjustment...
  14. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I overheated the clutch on my Tiger 800XC a couple years ago on a hare scramble. When it cooled down I got most of it back but slipped a little. Upon disassembly, the steels were very blue but still had over 50% of friction material left. Overheat the steels and it is time to open her up.
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yep. But that is different from function that is reduced from heat but reverting when it cools.
  16. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Normally when changing modes, Road to Enduro, and back, I have to roll of the throttle, and pull in the clutch, before it changes.

Today I knew I was going on dirt, so I changed to Enduro before I started braking for the turnoff, in 6th gear doing 120km/h with steady throttle, and it changed straight away. Not sure if an issue? because it’s not meant to do that according to the manual
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I am glad you mentioned this. When my bike was new I swear it changed modes as soon as I hit the button. Now it changes when I roll off the throttle. Possibly I was just not recognizing how it was changing when I first got the bike.

Knowing BMW (the King of Over-Engineering Everything - to the point of consumer frustration) there is likely some algorithm using speed, gear, rpm, brake and throttle position that determines if it should "help" you by allowing a mode change. I wouldn't put it past them to have made an exception for the speed you were going, thinking it could be unsafe to roll off the throttle at that speed.

Remember, the manual was written BEFORE the Bikes were built, and they even state within that it may be inaccurate.
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  18. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine will not switch unless I roll off the throttle or clutch in but it happens pretty much immediately when the throttle hits the stop.
    mspgirl and bikeymikey70 like this.
  19. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I can feel a change in throttle response as soon as I select the mode, although it always needs a roll-off to change the setting in the UI.
  20. smoore

smoore Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just FYI --
    I've decided to go a different route for luggage for my 2019 F750GS, so these two items are now for sale in the Flea Market Parts section:

• Touratech Stainless Steel Pannier Rack
    • Touratech Waterproof MOTO Saddlebags

Please, somebody be interested enough to take these off my hands!

Thanks!
    AdamChandler likes this.