New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are liking the BDCW skid plate and pegs on your bike :D We really appreciate your business and sharing your experience with our products!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    Fireball36 and rvsparky like this.
  2. Ackme

Ackme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :yikes:yikes Jeebus! i was afraid that was your injured foot for a hot second.
    Awesome set up and report. I hate you. :beer Can you post a shot of your radiator screen when you move around again? Seriously; hope you heal quickly and well! :thumb
    Fireball36 likes this.
  3. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Proudly distributed by Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

They are literally on their way! Twisted Throttle should have those stands in around the end of this month--maybe the very first of next. Check with them next week while you're recovering from turkey!
    SW Motech Centerstand BMW 750GS Low

The Red Bull Team of SW Motech NA
    smoore and AdamChandler like this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
  5. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the writeup, Fireball. When you replace that pop rivet please post some pictures so we all know what to look for.
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I was just looking at mine, I'm not sure what to do with it... does the pivot just fall out or does it break? If it just falls out I am thinking I could glue it or melt it in place
  7. Fireball36

Fireball36 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can’t make it to the shop right now.... but I’m thinking I might just tap the hole and bolt it up. I need to look at it in detail.
  8. Mdh01

Mdh01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Needed a tank bag for my 750GS and the Wolfman Enduro fits well. Not sure what the empty mounting points under the front of the seat are for, but they worked well to connect the straps. Makes for a clean looking setup.

https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/enduro-tank-bag

IMG_6470.JPG IMG_6471.JPG IMG_6473.JPG IMG_6472.JPG
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well if anyone has been thinking about a 19” spoke front wheel, I am fairly certain that with a wheel bearing change, the 1250 front wheel will bolt right in. Will keep the thread updated over the next couple weeks. Would be nice to have a street and dirt set up.
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  11. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is ABS/TCS sensitive to wheel diameter? Will it go bonkers with bigger wheels?
  12. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only speed sensitive
  13. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think so as the speed sensor ring on my 850GSA is the exact same part number as a R1250GS.
    heatmizr likes this.
  14. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Even though they use the same part, I have a hunch that the electronics are calibrated for the size wheel that the part is mounted to.
    According to my calculations a 21-inch wheel is 10.6% longer in circumference then a 19-inch wheel, taking that much longer for one full revolution.
    So my 850 electronics with OE 21" front would think a 19 inch wheel is traveling ~10% faster.
    I suppose ABS would still work, despite thinking the bike is traveling that much faster.

But,
    Do these models use the front ring to determine speed, the rear ring, or the transmission speed?

Would the higher reported speed of the smaller front wheel and the different speed reported by the transmission or rear ring cause an issue with the electronics? I don't know. Knowing BMW, it's quite possible.
  15. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not 100% sure but I think they use the back sensor
  16. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Took a cool solo ride yesterday. I've been trying to explore any dirt roads within ~1.5 hrs of Charlotte. There are many but most are not that long, you have to string a few together in a route to make it worthwhile. This area around Great Falls SC was new to me. I made a decent sort-of-loop route a little over an hr south of here.
    I had to turn around at the first pic, after scouting it on foot it looked to get deeper and riskier the further it went. Not sure I would have even attempted it if I had buddies with me or not.

Liberty Hill ride Mudhill Rd.jpg

So I had to back track a bit and proceeded to the longest forest road on my route, which also had a few sketchy spots. This was the biggest hurdle, but it wasn't too bad really.

Liberty Hill ride Ember Ln.jpg

I am sure some of you more experienced guys are wondering what the big deal was... If it was just wet areas with ok traction, I would have had no problem, but the clay-mud in SC is famous for being slick. I had to foot dab through a few rutted muddy areas in 1st gear. Being alone I sure wasn't willing to put her down and find out I wasn't able to get her back up in that slick mud in a remote area like that. This 850 is no light weight...

Also, I am finding it better to leave the mode in ENDURO PRO when hopping between paved and dirt roads. A couple times I forgot to toggle back into Enduro mode when transitioning back to dirt. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to be in Enduro mode for a few miles on pavement here and there.
  17. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    @heatmizr

What kind of tires you running for that clay-crap? If you're on stock tires, huge kudos to you. That's impressive. I hate riding in clay and mud like that. Enduro Pro is great because it allows just enough wheel spin that you don't get stuck. It's also fun to fishtail in the sand but in a controlled way. You keep ABS/ASC on but it allows that rear end to dance a bit which I like a lot.
  18. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yep stock, but the more ADV optioned tires, the Metzler Karoo 3's. They are 50/50, and seem quite good though I admit I have nothing to compare them with.
    Screenshot_20191229-122252.jpg
    And they used to be almost (but not) knee dragging good on the road, but with 3k on them, I felt them squirm a little yesterday taking off on the pavement around 90 deg turns.

IMO, these tires are a terrific option if you do on and off-road and don't want to get caught out with not quite aggressive enough tires. They don't give up much for normal street riding, But they are likely overkill for most dirt roads.
    The other option would be a more street-oriented 70/30 tire, which is more suitable for 95% of the surfaces (esp roads) but then you give up a little bit in the muck, which would have been that much more scary yesterday!
    I am currently wavering between buying these same tires again, versus a 70/30 (80/20?) set like the Karoo Streets.

Agreed, the TC is wonderful on this bike. Love the ability to hang out the ass end in turns. The issue I get is the back end hops a bit on rocky dirt roads, impeding forward momentum just a little.
    In mud, I do want to feel that squirmy movement but still gaining my confidence to do it. Also it's dry 95% of the time when we ride so I tripled my mud experience in this one ride!
    I did Not wish to go down in that mud in my mostly white(!) riding gear, and I especially did not want to risk getting stuck under the bike for God knows how long!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. burangs

burangs Javenturer

Oddometer:
    I was probably about 1/2 hour south of there around the same time. Have you been to Carolina Adventure World?
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yes! Rented a dirt bike there once, and the second time I rented an ATV. Terrific place just a little bit pricey for a day if you're renting... They used to do Groupons at 50% off but have not seen any in years.

Are there any trails there suitable for bigger bikes? I didn't think so...