1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here, I only pay for the run in service and then everything else i do myself. I do have the plug though, I’ll plug it in eventually!
  2. Xyzzy

Xyzzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The (insanely overpriced) OEM GPS relocation bracket fits the GSA.

The torque value for the screen is 4Nm and the screen holder is 5Nm. There was plenty of cable to reach after I removed the cable from the first rubber retainer. (You can see this retainer in the first picture a little to the left of the brake fluid reservoir.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I did my own run in service @ 600 miles. I bought the oil and filter at my dealer the day we picked the bikes up.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have posted it a ton in this thread, but there is a way cheaper, very sturdy option out there made by a guy here on ADVrider. Look through my posts on here, all the information is there. Or, keep paying way more than that garbage piece is worth. Stupid BMW not putting it in the right place to begin with.
  5. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But that means I have to scroll
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Have you no thumbs, sir?!
  7. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did all this good work but it posted it in the old thread!

Anyway here is the info you want, good ol copy and paste.

For those of you looking to buy the mount from Dresden, my buddy fabricates one identical to it for way cheaper. @ForefrontFabrication is his inmate name on here. Based out of Spokane, WA area.

ETA: It is what I have on mine.
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Rookie!
  9. woodsguy

woodsguy KTM Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Thanks, pretty sure I have the premium package. (Paid premium price, lol)
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    If it's not in the plastic bag of paperwork just call the dealer and see what's up.
    Let us know!
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Okay so I need some help. We have three BMWs in the house, and for the life of me neither my wife nor I recognize this spare key. Is this the one to my 850 GS?
    The keyed groove in it looks nothing like my primary key fob for the bike, but our autos are both keyless and so I don't think this key would go with those... IMG_20200217_150351.jpg
  12. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 850gsa premium and my spare doesn’t even look like a key. Does your gs have the keyless system or no? If it does then that’s def not it.
  13. Ian-NH

Ian-NH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your keyless BMW cars still have key blades that snap into your key fobs. That key is for a car. Only place to use it would be drivers door or glovebox if it locks.
    heatmizr likes this.
  14. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This came with my 750. The manual calls it an emergency key to be used if you lose your keyless remote. Page 76-78 in the 750 manual, the section on vehicle keys and immobilized operation.

image.jpg
    heatmizr likes this.
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yes my bike is keyless ignition.
    Thanks, I was pretty sure this was a car spare.
    Which begs the question, where the hell is my spare 850 GS premium key?
    I know I'm getting older but damn it's hard to keep track of everything in life these days...

On the flip side, I did an awesome 200 mi ride today and got a whole lot of dirt in :-)
    mazocar likes this.
  16. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the manual! It’s mine is in that pouch that the manual comes in. I never moved it from there so maybe that’s where yours might be
    heatmizr likes this.
  17. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    The spare key for the keyless ride system will unlock the seat which you need to do because you need to place the spare key with the ring antenna which is under your seat in order for it to work.

The regular FOB has a battery that boosts the signal of the fob so it will work up to three feet away but the spare has no battery so you need to have it literally within the antenna loop for the bike to pick up the signal.
    I keep my spare key in the zip lock bag it came in and in the medical ID pocket of my jacket so it is with me at all times I am on the bike just in case I do something stupid like lose the main fob while on a trip.
    BTW once the bike starts with the spare you can put it back in your pocket and put the seat back on. You will get a warning that "No Restart is Possible" on the TFT but as long as you don't shut the bike off you can ride it as normal... if you do turn it off you will need to take the seat off again to access the ring antenna.
    heatmizr likes this.
  18. Xyzzy

Xyzzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can use the plastic key without removing the seat. The position is a bit fiddly but once you figure out where it is it is 100% repeatable.

I don't like using the plastic key, and my fob is permanently stashed away deep in my jacket, so I bought a "spare" spare key. It does not have a radio thingy so it only works for the seat and panniers. I think it was $40 or so.

PS - The black stuff on the key is graphite residue from lubing my locks.

[​IMG]
    ihaha likes this.
  19. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hey SnoDrt - this is exactly what I intended to do, I just can't freaking remember where I stashed mine...
  20. woodsguy

woodsguy KTM Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Went to dealer today, salesman never took his feet off next nor got off phone. He's avoided my text on this, service manager I had visited with got the axe last week, so, went to parts. He got the plug and hinted at me paying for it. Said no chance and he said he'd charge it to sales. Got it and left. Hopefully won't have to go back to that shop.
    merc16 likes this.