New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    You got your plug, congrats!
    Screw them. It's the people, not BMW... That's not how to run any business.
    woodsguy, merc16 and AdamChandler like this.
  2. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow the two shops I have worked at have a way way more than a coding plug.
  3. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wondering if there is and aftermarket air and pre-filter solution for the F850?
    Ive googled and searched and it seems odd there are no aftermarket alternatives for the 850.
    Im very surprised actually.
    Anyone know of one like Unifilter etc?
    TIA
  4. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is super easy to change the stock filter now, maybe that is why. The main reason for the unifilter on Tiger800XC’s is because the stock filter is a super PITA to change.
    jmcarter likes this.
  5. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very surprising no one has jumped on the better filtration bandwagon.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    The best filtration (For most people) is pleated paper such as the OEM filter. I have seen issues with oiled foam caused by owners who have no clue as to how to properly clean and re-oil a foam filter. Most use either too little or too much oil. You also need to take into account electronic sensors used in newer bikes that can be contaminated by people using too much oil on foam filters.
    Having an electronic (Fly by wire) throttle system makes these bikes especially susceptible to oily contaminates in the intake tract as well.

I can see BMW denying any warranty claims on bikes using aftermarket foam filters and it is very easy to tell if a bike has been using an oiled foam filter.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. bkh

bkh n00b

Oddometer:
    A lot of salt left on the pavement. I've always been hesitant to ride until its washed away in the spring because I dont have great way to wash during the winter. I'm jealous!
  8. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Orrrr you could just enjoy your bike and not care about the salt.
    dolomite, rvsparky and slackline like this.
  9. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the same strict cleaning regimen for my bike as I do my truck in the winter around here. The pay-n-spray up the street has mag chloride remover so I use that once a month to take the salt off. It's always been recommended to me with bikes to let the engine cool a bit before spraying it down, not sure how much weight that carries but I do it anyway to be safe!
  10. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    This>>>>

[​IMG]
  11. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve lived in the north east for over 25 years and I can tell you that there is nothing that you can do in order to prevent rust lol all you’re doing is slowing it down. I stopped caring after my first new car purchase. I spent time and money keeping that thing clean and I even wouldn’t drive it in some conditions. Only to have it totaled by a truck in the middle of the night while I slept on my bed.

Blah, material things are material things. Enjoy them before you die and worry less about keeping them pristine.

This is an adventure bike after all isn’t it
  12. Xyzzy

Xyzzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those that want to see how the GPS relocation looks in action, I made this video. The legibility of the TFT display is incredible. The GPS display is okay but you can tell it is a dated design.

ihaha, slackline and mazocar like this.
  13. iamadventurous

iamadventurous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry if this has been covered (I did a search but couldn't find anything). I keep dropping my bike in parking lots and breaking the brake lever. I replaced one with an original BMW lever, cost me US$120 and a month later I dropped the bike at a campground while loading up my saddlebags and broke it again. I am planning to put on barkbusters for the inevitable parking lot tip overs that will happen this season, but would also like to replace the lever. Anyone have experience with non-OEM levers that just install like the original for a 2019 750GS? The Puig ones require some sort of adapter and therefore end up costing about the same.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Once you put the Barkbusters on you probably will never replace another lever. So just go stock if you like those.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    ...you can spend a lot of money on fancy levers but the eBay shorties for like $29 are just fine. I prefer shorties to Long levers.
  16. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why do you keep dropping the bike in parking lots? Fix that problem and you’ll fix the broken lever problem too. I broke my brake lever offroad before ai got the Barkbusters installed and have just been using the lever as is since I didn’t use the end of it anyway. I’ve dropped it offroad numerous times since then and the Barkbusters have prevented any further damage.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  17. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Has to be something about the bike or how it is being parked. My wife's 750 leans way to the left when on the side stand so it is pretty much impossible for it to fall to the right. I just put an AltRider side stand enlarger on yesterday to see if that makes it stand more upright. Perhaps the bike is lowered and the side stand is too long?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    My 850 GS model remains in the solo riding suspension setting as I am a lightweight, and it does not lean very far onto the side stand in some situations.
    It occurred to me that if I am parking somewhere where it's too upright, to bump the suspension setting up to rider with luggage and then park it, raising the rear & putting more weight on the stand. Haven't actually had to do that though.
    SnoDrtRider and AdamChandler like this.
  19. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Same here my 850 seems to stand too upright but it has never fallen over. When I am loading it I always put the left Vario case on first even on the centerstand. I do keep my tool kit in the left case as well for the extra weight and to (in my mind) offset the weight of the exhaust on the opposite side.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. Baiazid

Baiazid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys:

any differences between F850GS 2018/2019? (haven't seen any 2020 models in Australia yet).