New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    good grief, love this cycle but THIS bit is annoying.....ought to be able to reset through the screen or through a sequence like nearly every other OBDII vehicle out there.
    AdamChandler and mazocar like this.
  2. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh haven’t we all been this guy before. Hahahahaha. My ocd gets triggered every time that light comes on.
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Likely BMW over engineered some way to prevent you from resetting it yourself.
    When they start telling you to take it to the dealer for oil changes and simple maintenance, well... The greedy bastards really mean it.
    Hope I'm wrong?
  4. joevacc

joevacc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ha, It is affectionally known as the BMW extortion light.
    You'll hav to go to the dealer or as someone else wrote the GS911 tool.

Good Luck
  5. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Conformed to this years ago with our F650GSs... if you are going to stay with BMWs it is worth the investment in a GS911 or similar. If not find someone who has one and pay them $20 to shut off your message.
    We have two bikes so the GS911 pays for itself in a year... (if you actually ride)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, On my 5th BMW w/ a GS-911 and it does pay for itself. Dealer is 100 miles away so resetting it after oil changes alone is worth it. Diagnosing various failures has helped save my ass a few times.
  7. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I started out with a GS911 BlueTooth which I bought used off of an inmate here. It was fine for our 2005 & 2007 650 GSs at the time as well as the 2015 650 and 1013 800 which replaced them but when we got the 2019 750 & 850 we had to update toe a newer WiFi version for the new computers on the bikes. I was able to sell the old yellow BT version for almost as much as I paid for it and updated to the new red WiFi unit. Both of them went or go with us whenever we are on a road trip just in case of problems.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you. This is also my first BMW anything. The maintenance light, and even taking your bike to the dealership if you need to adjust your oil level was mind blowing to me.

Here's a much less expensive option vs the GS911: https://advrider.com/f/threads/motoscan-app-for-bmw-motorcycles.1320275/page-4#post-38009490
    That whole thread is worth going through to understand what's needed. I acquired the recommended hardware/software and it does work.
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,
    I took a mental health day yesterday after 1 month straight of working from home with the wife and kids... Wow it was nice to get out of the house. Rode an hour east of Charlotte to Uwharrie National Forest. There are a couple dozen miles of Forest Service roads in there and some nice waterfront spots. I did not know for sure if the FS roads would be open or not during this Covid-19 situation but they were - I learned from some folks camping in there that they can't close the roads because there is private property served by them.
    All roads were in great shape making it quite easy riding. Only one steep 1/4 mile descent to the lake where I ate my packed lunch looked tricky. There were several big bumps/dips/washouts on a steep decline. I was by myself and might be stuck if I ditched it, making my heart pound a bit. But I saw a couple teenagers camping once I got to the bottom, so I wasn't as worried going up. Anyway it was fine, and fun! I should have done it twice for practice!

I thought of a couple thoughts I wanted to share with you guys:
    1 - Why are our factory Heated Grips so WEAK? I've had three sets and these are by far the weakest. Settings 1 & 2 are pointless, and 3 is barely adequate. When I rev the motor more they seem to get warmer so I think they have more potential... Anyone know of a way to get more juice to them? Remove a resistor or something?
    I would think the 1250's share this component, I wonder if they've found any ways to boost it.

2 - On slower bumpy terrain, I hear a medium loudness clunk-clunk sometimes. More on harder hits than soft ones. But not every hard hit. Suspension seems to use its travel without clunking most other times. I can't find anything loose. I tried banging the center and side stands against the stops, I don't think those are what I am hearing. Doesn't sound like the chain slapping either, but can't be 100% on that. Seems more down low and in front...
    Does anyone else get any clunks in this type of riding? Any ideas what I can check?
    It's occurred since new. I have 3800 miles on it and no issues so is it just normal noises?

3 - My windshield relocation bracket (see ACCESSORIES thread) works better than without it, but I still get a lot of noise from buffeting. I tried feeling the airflow with my hands and it is difficult to tell if it is from air hitting my shoulders, or the upper boundary of the air pocket close to my helmet. I dunno, that home made mod was worth what I spent ($30) but it still isn't as good as it could be. Trying hard to avoid the barn door windshields... My sportbike had better flow than this and my head was in completely clean air, in the wind.
    Is there something that could replace the black plastic pieces between the shield and the headlight? Maybe something wider that can push the air aside more?

4 - I decided to hold off washing the bike after because I know there are a lot of small holes in the plastic inner fender under the seat, and it allows a lot of dirt and water into the area, especially when washing. The battery area is quite dirty too, more than I would expect for the light off roading I do.
    Any good ideas for sealing these holes? Silicone caulk is all that comes to mind. Actually stout duct tape from the inside would be easier. If a hole looks like an important drain hole, I would leave it... but on initial inspection none really did.

5 - I just remembered one more - The tire pressure readings are WHACK.
    It seems they only update periodically. In large steps (1/10 bar perhaps, approx 1.5 lbs). I had 36.2 lbs in front, and while stopped for kicks I monkeyed with it to see if I could get it down to exactly 36.0 (as recommended). I pushed the pin in the valve stem for literally 1.3 secs, let a little "phhht!" out. Turned the bike on, it now reads 33.6 lbs. Ehhhh??? No way I let that much out.
    It just doesn't act like an accurate, real time measurement. No detectable diff when the tires get hot or cold, or if there is it's so delayed I can't follow it.
    I know - whatever... I am not worried about the actual pressures I run, I know in the ballpark is fine. But this readout is for the birds. It doesn't even allow for 1-up riding settings, which the manual states should be LOWER pressures; it just gives the "Warning!" exclamation point. And it KNOWS when the suspension is set to 1-up... One line of code. Wish I could just turn it off.

Otherwise - having fun with this bike! :)

Attached Files:

dolomite, Emb120 and AdamChandler like this.
  10. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got this complaint too, I was riding in the mountains last weekend, 35F with high winds and I thought the heated grips were broken on settings 1 and 2, and I could only barely feel the heat on 3. I had Oxfords on my previous bike and they were very hot, so if we can't figure out a way to kick these up a notch I might ditch them for an aftermarket solution.
    I hear this too on rocky terrain and I've pinpointed it to the center stand having a bit too much play. I don't know if the springs aren't dialed in or what, but now that I think I know what it is I won't worry about it.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yeah I used Kimpex and Hotgrips on my last two bikes. Both got so warm on high that it was slightly uncomfortable to hold on tight! Way better to have too much heat than too little!!

Oh I just remembered my thought #5 - added above.
  12. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was literally at that same spot Tuesday and camped in uwharrie as well. I think that the loud thumping you’re talking about is the center stand, I have the same issue. That little downhill is pretty fun, not so much fun going up with the anakee 3s after it rained but I made up regardless after some sideway action. The very first time I went down that hill I dropped the bike when I came to a stop at the bottom hahaha. I should have coasted into the water instead

I don’t have an issue with the hand warmers I must admit. I usually keep mine on 1 or 2 and I feel it’s adequate.

Nice to know folks are out riding!
    IMG_5963.jpg
    Emb120 likes this.
  13. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ohh and I’m with you on the tire pressure monitor. I noticed I was 1.3psi over when riding home and i stopped to mess with something on osmand so I said why not I’ll try to get it to 36psi. One tiny little hiss and I found myself 2psi under and I thought to myself... that can’t possibly be.
  14. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    No way! Just missed ya by 24 hrs! I'd feel much more comfy going down/up that now, even alone, having done it now. I hadn't been to the end of that road before and I wasn't sure what I was getting into! I also went to the end of Dutch John rd (or at least until the gates). I have now done all the main FS roads there, need to hit a couple more to complete. It's a great place to just get on some dirt, I can get there in about an hr+ from home, ride some, and get back home in half day. Especially in the winter when the mountains are too cold. I almost wish the rest of the roads were a little more challenging though.
    Wow, yeah, I guess I am glad I have the Karoo 3's.... I was thinking of going slightly less aggressive next time, but then you get the challenges like you were saying...
    Nice you rode w friends!!
  15. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first time I went down I was by myself and a guy was down there in his vstrom (red one in the pic) he helped me pick it up. Really nice guy, next time we hung out with his brother and that’s how we all ended camping.

Small world!

You’re right the roads there are quite nice but not too challenging. It takes me about two hours to get there and I’ll usually do the same. Pack my lunch, make it there around noon and then I’ll hit every single FS road, East something and then ride back.
  16. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can turn off the low pressure warning in the TFT settings.
  17. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding Point #2 above from Heatmizer, I have the same issue, posted about it months ago. Seems to be on minor impacts. The Clunk is rather annoying. Still trying to find it,
  18. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Have you had your steering head bearings re-torqued? It is called for at the 600 mile "Running In" service....
  19. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, thanks, seems to come from under the rider/rear of the bike.
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I had forgotten about the ability to turn it off. So will it still show the values, and the tire symbol (with "!" in it) but no colors (on the TFT)? I'll try it and see.
    It seems the "!" always appears in the tire, it screams "warning!" even when its not colored Yellow or Red.

I thought more about this, I think part of the issue is the symbol being Yellow or Red - as I am somewhat colorblind. I have a really hard time telling what color it is, making it more frustrating. I took a training course recently about design considerations, and it advocated always using two methods to display your intent - color alone is not good for ppl like me. So it should be something graphic too, like using diff symbols or indicators for diff meaning.
    dolomite likes this.