New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I'm well aware of the correct technique for putting a bike onto a center stand, been doing it for decades. I use the term lift as more of a descriptor, but yes its mainly just a steadying of the bike and aids in getting ones weight onto the stand in the right manner to create the lifting power. As I noted, with the panniers on, there is absolutely nowhere on this bike to get a hold of that allows me to put my weight onto the stand effectively. We all have different physical characteristics, so what may work for one person can be awkward for another. This is what I need for me. When the panniers are off, the rack is a good place to grip, but I almost always have them on.
  2. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    My Vario Cases are always in my bike loaded or not... Never had a problem getting the bike on the centerstand unless I parked in a place where the bike wanted to roll forward and off the stand.
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Being the low 150s pounds that I mentioned before, yes my suspension is always in the solo mode, So I must have another inch to lift because of that.
  4. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do think that the >200 lb people have an advantage in being able to just use weight to to push the bike up on the stand. I have quite a bit less gravitational pull than that, so there has to be some degree of lifting per se. I need to use physical strength in addition to my weight in order to get the job done.
  5. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    It's kind of like spreading the center stand from the top rack, when I do it, pushing on one and pulling on the other.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  7. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Exactly... You also need to roll the bike back at the same time... Once the feet of the stand are both in contact with the ground the bike is stable and really can't fall over unless you picked a poor spot to park.
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yes... But I agree with above, it's just harder than it ought to be!
    ihaha likes this.
  9. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    All nice and fine, but for me with my slightly heavier GSA with the boxes on, I can actually stand on the centerstand fully and the bike does not come up on it unless I add some degree of lifting force which is where the ergonomics of grabbing where you show does not work. I need a lower purchase point which is non existant on the bike.
  10. iamadventurous

iamadventurous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any information on what is going on with Barkbusters hand guards for the 750GS. They have been out of stock at revzilla and twisted throttle since April.
    twistedthrottle and proeasy like this.
  11. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    @iamadventurous -- due to the COVID 19 pandemic, everything from the factories to your hands has slowed way down. Shipping has been particulary impacted by this, so even we are unsure when we will see new stock come in for you.

That said, if you want to know when it will be available, go to the web page --> Barkbuster Storm Handguards BMW F750GS and you will find a link where you can get an email when they are available. Another option is to order them. As soon as they hit our hands, we will just ship them to you. Let us know if you have any other questions!

The Twisted Team
    www.TwistedThrottle.com
  12. iamadventurous

iamadventurous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Just signed up to be notified.
  13. DimSum07

DimSum07 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had this happen to my 2019 850GSA once with the engine control unit malfunction and several other times on a hot day the bike just would crank with no start. Shut everything down and power back up and it starts fine....but you'd swear you're trying to start and old school carb bike on a hot day after shutting down.

I do have several error codes on my GS911, but I haven't taken it to the dealer. No sense until its repeatable :-(.
  14. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Important News for 2021!
    The 750 stays a 750; the 850 stays an 850.
    https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...50-gs-bmw-f-850-gs-and-bmw-f-850-gs-adventure

Changes:

General changes to the BMW F 750 GS, BMW F 850 GS and BMW F 850 GS Adventure include new tape designs and the respective style designation on the fairing side panels of the style variations. Furthermore, all models now have new LED flashing turn indicators as standard and a USB charging device at the front right of the cockpit. ABS Pro and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) are now also standard, for even more braking and accelerating safety.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Color scheme looks cool. Honestly I hate any of the colors for 2021:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  16. Daechir

Daechir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the adjustable windscreen as standard and you can get the gps holder. But I don't see the need for an upgrade if you already have one.
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Huh, I missed that, buried in the article. Yeah would have been nice to have that adj windscreen. My stock doesn't do the job, and I've been monkeying / swapping with it ever since.

And LED blinkers? I've never looked at ours to know that they weren't LED.
  18. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    We won't get LED blinkers unless BMW has re-designed them to work with DOT requirements. Historically LED blinkers from BMW are too narrow and do not come out far enough from the bike to pass USA's laws around motorcycle blinkers.

EU Blinkers:
    [​IMG]

USA/CAN Blinkers:
    [​IMG]

Here's NHTSA on it:
    [​IMG]
  19. morrisond

morrisond Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 2021 850's have also added 4KG in wet weight and the 750 3 KG - I'm guessing that is the IMU and equipment for the Traction Control?

233KG for an 850GS and 248kg for GSA. Ouch! the GSA is only 1KG lighter than an 1250GS with only 3l (2.25KG) more fuel. I would have to guess that at the same average speed/acceleration the 1250 might get better Economy given it has more torque and would require less throttle opening unless it really sucks in Aero Drag compared to the GSA.

The 850's are significantly heavier than the competition including the regular Africa Twin 1100 Manual.

They also seem to have made the rear CAT (or whatever is below the shock) a little less ugly by making the seam more nicely finished.

It may be a new can which is heavier to make it able to pass EURO 5.

Interesting that in the press release they say it is capable of meeting EURO 5 but doesn't say it will. Maybe they are waiting to see if EURO 5 will be delayed to decide what Mapping to install.

Let's see what they do with the price - adding those extra features helps but given the somewhat questionable color schemes I predict the current policy of big rebates on current models will be continuing unfortunately.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Or Fortunately??