New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Ok then!
  2. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I resemble some (most) of those remarks...
  3. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black Dog
  4. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  6. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    rvsparky and MCMXCIVRS like this.
  7. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    K7x like 1200cc K5x do not have knock sensors so have to be programmed for lower grade fuel with a 10% reduction in HP. The 1250 K5x have Knick sensors so the DME knows where the intake cam is. I would have to do some research to see if our K8x motorcycles have knock sensors.
  8. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What have I done?

I got a bit suckered in, and I'm full of ragrets - more than just a single letter.

The short version, since I'll ramble on otherwise - had a BMW F650GS twin. Loved it. LOOOOVED IT. But people started... saying things to me. Underpowered. Buzzy. Aren't you sick of the bees in your gloves after a few hours in the saddle? I was eyeing the F750s, but it seemed like they were never going to arrive. So I tried a Tiger XRT. And the power drew me in.

So I sold the BMW, bought the Tiger.

Which has basically sat in my garage since buying it, gathering dust, while I look at old pictures of my F650GS with a box of tissues and some lotion.

So now am pondering mistakes made, and eyeing replacing it with something tried and trusted. Initial plan was to find another used little twin, they're not that expensive, and probably sell the Trumpet. Now though, eyeing the F750 but... seems like almost a mirror image of my XRT with the TFT dash, and the petrol tank moved to the "traditional" spot. (One of the things I LOVED about my F650 was the under seat tank and that low center of gravity).

I'm plodding through threads and gathering info, but wanted to know if folks who've switched from the 650/700 to the 750... any regrets? At some point I'll carve out the time to test ride one, but with the Coronas and a kid at home (and the nearest BMW dealership being a serious trek away) no clue when I'll have the chance to do that.
  9. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    IMO The fuel tank moved to the "Traditional Position" helps the handling rather than hinders. (My wife and I had both 650 singles and an 800 GS prior)
    My wife is a noob only riding for 10 years but has good feel for a bike and can give great feedback to any mods (tires, suspension settings, etc.) that I make to her bike. If she felt there was a difference or problem with the tank position on her 750 she would have said something to me in the last 10,000 miles we have had the bikes.
    The "Lower Center of Gravity" IMO was a marketing ploy that owners seem to have taken to heart. I mildly bought into it while I was riding a bike with the under seat tank but again after 10,000 miles on my 850 I say Poppycock...
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    It's all just what you're used to. I personally like more weight farther forward.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hey - When you remove the nav holder thing with the plastic release on the top that slides to unlock it, and the mounting plate that remains on the bike with the little bronze pins sticking out... Is that plate being exposed to wet weather a problem? How does the bike not send current through it when it shorts due to water on the pins?
    I guess when the ignition is off, it's not powered at all... But what about riding in the wet? Is the electronic system smart enough to know when it's not in use?
  12. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve wondered about that but I haven’t actually been charging something while riding through rain. Although I would figure it’s constantly on? Not sure how that works. Do you think it’s only on demand? Like if we have the cell phone charging that’s the only time it’s on?

I can tell you that when I removed my old Charger and mounted the new one it was just a bit dusty and my bike had def been though lots of rain before I exchanged those.

I say don’t worry bout it lol or test it with a hose. Hahaha either way you’re under warranty
  13. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There’s another thread running that might shed light on your question:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/anyone-upgrade-from-f700gs-to-f750gs.1470125/
  14. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Guys - quick question...
    Does anyone know how many watts the F850 put out, or can handle in accessories before It is maxed out?
    The owner's manual does not contain any such references to amps or watts.
  16. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it is 400ish watts. I have only added Denali DR1s and charged phone and GPS simultaneously. That is most I have taxed the electric system with grips on high.
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Do you know any numbers for those lights, or any idea what your total max consumption was for all that?

When I was testing my new heated jacket liner (90 watts) I saw my "vehicle" screen showing 14.3 volts whether the jacket was on max or off. I had nothing else except my cell phone (for nav) charging. Seems fine.

My standing voltage is 12.4-12.5 but drops to 11.9 when I hit the starter. Normal?
  18. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the TFT dash displays the exact same voltage as measured at the battery?
    My dash shows ~11.9v. Alarmingly low. Yet, the engine fires right up promptly on the first stab of the starter. No real indication that it's low.

Also, I want to bump a previous comment of mine too see if any new info has come to light:

"Why are our factory Heated Grips so WEAK? I've had three sets and these are by far the weakest. Settings 1 & 2 are pointless, and 3 is barely adequate. When I rev the motor more they seem to get warmer so I think they have more potential... Anyone know of a way to get more juice to them? Remove a resistor or something?
    I would think the 1250's share this component, I wonder if anyone has found a way to boost it."
  19. Ackme

Ackme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not checked the voltage at the battery but my dash reads 12.4. Then drops to 11.9 while starting but quickly climbs to 14.4 once started. This is a 2019 I've had for 18 months. I do try to keep it on a battery tender most nights.

Also my grips are better than you describe. Although I have had hotter after market grips, I do find times when 1 is all I need and 2 is too hot.
    rvsparky likes this.
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    So when I bring it into the dealer for a new battery under warranty, I should ask them to test my grips...
    And the three drops of coolant I see on the skid plate after each long ride...