New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, so long as voltage remains above 10Vdc while starter is turning is good. Anything below is a bad battery.

Secondly I do not know the wattage of the lights, but they are TwistedThrottle DR1s and have never seen below 14.2 volts.

I am happy with my heated grips.
  2. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too am happy with the grips. I know it’s silly but Have you tried them with different gloves on?

Random - but I have about 7800miles on my anakee3 and they still look good. Wtf.

IMG_8177.jpg

Not so much on sand but hey I can’t complain
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    @heatmizr my water pump leaked early on and then stopped with no noticeable drop in coolant level. Just enough bro see it on the outside of the pump.
  4. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    @mazocar gibe the Dunlop Mission Trailmax a try. 1.5mm wear on the rear in 1500 miles. Down to 12.5mm from 14 when new. Handled sand very well on the NMBDR. They are also are like run flats.
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Maz - I can see you at least you tried to power through that!
    Thanks for the other replies, to clarify I am seeing 11.9v with the ignition on but the bike not running, not while starting.
    And that was after riding it 10 hours so the battery should be topped off.
  6. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I’m going to try them next, I hear good things
  7. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine hasn't been started in three weeks and the display said 12.2v when I just turned the ignition on in the garage without starting the engine. It also sat for three months with the battery disconnected and not on a tender and fired right up on the first try. I'd lean towards a weak battery or charging system on your bike, especially with the complaints about the hand warmers which I find to be too hot on setting 3.
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    But the weird thing is when it's running it's showing 14.4 volts, maybe sometimes 14.3 v.
  9. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 14.4 shows the charging is ok, sounds like a weak batt or batt drainage
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Interesting thought about my hand grips being related to a weak battery... Would that hold true when the bike is running and producing 14+v?

In searching I see some references in recent years about stock batteries in BMWs crapping out very early, within first year, and dealers repeatedly replacing them... Hmmm.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Does anyone else's left bar grip & switch cluster wiggle just a hair, even though the tiny torx screws are snug?
  12. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It did on my 750. Haven’t noticed on the 850 yet but also haven’t paid attention yet either.
  13. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine did that at one point. The screw that holds it tight is not the ones on the switch body, it is hidden under the edge of the rubber grip. You can roll the grip back a bit and you'll see the screw head.

PXL_20201030_215738934_resize.jpg
    rvsparky and heatmizr like this.
  14. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking

Oddometer:
    Why anyone at BMW thought it was a brilliant idea to place the factory mount for the nav 6 on the handlebar mount is beyond me.

bought the relocation kit from wunderlich. and it actually bolts onto hidden mount parts behind the front plastic cover.
    proeasy likes this.
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Welcome to 2019!
    I'm sorry, you seem to be following the exact same path as all the rest of us nuts one year ago!
    EastRoad likes this.
  16. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Thanks MCMX!
    MCMXCIVRS likes this.
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    On a recent trip I noticed that my boot was a little harder to get under my shifter lever, due to my new Sargent seat making me sit an inch further back which slightly changes the angle of my legs/feet on the pegs.
    So I thought I would take another look at the above leverage adjustment.

Turns out there is a tiny little circlip on each end of the quick shifter which can be removed, allowing you to pop the female ball part of the joint off the male ends off of the linkage. See pic.
    One end of it is a retaining rod that you can just see protruding from the top of the ball.
    The lower one is upside-down relative to the upper one.

If you remove the upper or lower one and loosen the lock nut on the opposite end, you can spin the entire quick shifter around 360° to effect a change in lever height that I think is less than moving the upper linkage on the spline shaft one tooth.

Of course to do this you first have to remove the little connector covering and the wire connector off the front of the quick shifter itself. Replace once shifter is secured again.

For reference, I disconnected the bottom end of my quick shifter, loosened the upper lock nut, and spun it one full turn (counter-clockwise I think) before reconnecting it. My shifter lever went up exactly 1/8 inch. PXL_20201101_200031946.jpg
  18. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good that you figured that out. :clap

That has been a standard BMW method for the shift linkage for decades. My 94 R1100RS was like that too as has been every BMW I've owned since.
  19. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    LoL! I'm a little slow, but I get there...
    rvsparky and MCMXCIVRS like this.
  20. Aussie Stephen $$

Aussie Stephen $$ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would say that is identical to what I found when I did my oil change. But I replace with 3 litres and it hardly touched the bottom of the dip stick.
    So I ended up with 4 quarts to fill to the max level on the dip stick.