New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Merlin32

Merlin32 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    The KTM800 isnt even for sale, how has the market place proven it

hellyhans likes this.
  3. Merlin32

Oddometer:
    It's not for sale YET. It will be. The mere development of it and AT demonstrates that people want an adventure bike that puts out over 100 horse that has adjustable suspension and weighs under 490 lbs. AT got the engine pretty close but failed the other criteria. Why you think everyone wishes the 800gs had the nuda engine in it?
  4. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe CCM will get the 800 motor to build around .:evil
    BygDaddee likes this.
  5. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    You seem to be loosing track of the statement you made and now accusing me of not wanting a new mid weight BMW 800, im not sure where you got that from.

The market has poven it likes the AT, because its sold high numbers, the market hasnt proven it for the KTM800 because it hasnt had a chance too, they are only hoping it does, there are no specs, no price, not even a hint to judge what relibikity or issues could be. Just like KTM hoped with the 1190 but it has really only been taken up by a niche market in numbers compared to others, the KTM800 could be the same. But once its for sale the market will show if its a winner or not like the AT has
    Siricco and hellyhans like this.
  6. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys.. the 800gs is one of the lightest bikes in it`s category...running weighs 472 lbs wet and 421 lbs dry... it's not too shaby at all.

Now the new 900 would be pretty close to these numbers with the new frame and other things im pretty sure.

Notice no catalyst, so most likely integrated in the muffler.
    Also, I doubt they will be in the 11x HP numbers because they will be playing into GS1200 territory. So, I think we will be seeing maybe 90-100HP. Which is pretty much enough HP for a true dualsport trail riding bike.

Most people on this forum can't even fully exploit the 800gs HP in trails with it's 85HP...so even the AT with it's 100 is very mellow.

I ride with a bunch of guys with 1190`s, 990, 1200 etc... and I just blow past them off road with my lighter bike and my talent.

Usually the HP lack people are complaining about is on the highway or when 2up.

If you want highway HP and speed, buy a 1200 or a 1090,1190.

but you wont be much faster in trails with 125hp vs a bike with 85-100... it's all about who`s riding the bike.

I think the new 900 if they are in the same weight category of the current 800, with a good adjustable fork,some candy like cruise etc. and they still offer 3 year warranty with competitive pricing...they will sell very well.

Right now the AT is being sold pretty expensive up here in Canada... the 2016 models are still being sold 15k with 6% financing... ridiculous compared to what BMW is offering.
  7. hellyhans

Oddometer:
    The hype also was all about the legend of the AT that brought people to the bike with the DCT and honda reliability...it's still a big heavy bike compared to what KTM can offer with their 1090 or 1190.

But I would still take a 800GS with adjustable forks, included 3year warranty, over an AT today. I do love the AT.. but I think once I farkle it out, it would cost me more than farkling my 800
    Siricco, OzRider64 and BygDaddee like this.
  8. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Yes i like the AT too, but i would prefer it lighter, which is why im still more than happy with my F8 with Ohlins suspension, fuelng spoofer, and some other usual mods, its going to take a lot to get me off it, nothing else tempting yet, but this new BMW and some other possible not yet released bikes like KTM800, T7, CRF500RR all could be potentials. I like whats ahead

9. hellyhans

Oddometer:

What is this mysterious bike you are talking about that weighs under 490 lbs and over 100hp out on the market right now? the 1090 is not out yet and weighs +500lbs ready to race, very soon though.. but it's a brand new machine...and I think it will be priced pretty expensive as to what the numbers showed in europe on that press release I saw somewhere.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  10. hellyhans

Oddometer:
    your thinking exactly like me, lots of people crave the AT, but never rode one.

I have, and it's realllly a nice bike.. but I prefer how my 8gs handles offroad.... feels much more top heavy than my bike, much bigger up front (ala f800gsa)

I really like the T7 also.. I think that will be very nice machine.

but my 8gs with a little more fuel capacity and adjustable fork is a very good bike and hard to pass on. especially on how they are priced.

I just hope BMW listened and added a few more ponies and added a true adjustable suspension. now the new frame should maybe put an end to the shock bolt issue... even though I never had that problem for some reason and I ride Hard off road.. but usually loaded light.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  11. PplHaze

PplHaze 2018 KTM 250 EXC-F, 2018 Husky FE 250

Oddometer:
    I thought the MSRP on the 1090 was $14,600?
  12. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Its just been released here in Aus and its about $3500Aud less than 1190, that could be $3-4500 depending on specials of course, AUD

13. hellyhans

Oddometer:
  14. hellyhans

Oddometer:
  15. hellyhans

Oddometer:
    How much more is it compared to the 1050?...
  16. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect that it (replacement for F800) will be a significant improvement over the current model. The designers know that it has to be better, or at least as good as their current competitors offerings, and can assume that the KTM and Yamaha offerings will be catering to their ageing dirt bike followers.

The market is smart enough not to be fooled by the slick marketing of BMW. Well some of us are.
    Adanac rider and Cruz like this.
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    wp_ss_20170414_0001.png

That is without a few $1000 for on road costs to be added to it.

The new 950 Multistrada is a bit over $1000 cheaper plus on road costs.
    XRman likes this.
  18. PplHaze

PplHaze 2018 KTM 250 EXC-F, 2018 Husky FE 250

Oddometer:
    I have no idea if that's official but I remember reading it in the KTM 1090 thread. Their specific target was the Honda AT so they're doing what they can to stay near that price point. I believe the At is going for $12,999 for manual and $13,699 for the DCT. I know my local Honda dealer only charges a flat $150 paperwork fee so the price of the bike plus the $150 and obviously your local tax.

I don't think my local BMW dealer can get close to that for a GS800 or GSA800. That being said the AT doesn't come with crash bars etc.
  19. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    This is just ruff aus dollars and all brand new prices are on road in QLD
    1190 $25-$26500
    1090 $2200-23500
    AT DCT $19000
    At ABS $17000-18500
    F800GSA under $18000
    F800GS under $16000
  20. Merlin32

Oddometer:
    I'm not losing track of a statement I've made. We are talking about different things. You are referencing current sales numbers of the segment where as I am suggesting the introduction of more of these 800 type class bikes in a certain power to weight ratio indicates market demand. What bike do you ride right now? Do you own an 800gs? It seems since the advent of the 800gsa in2013 there have been very few advancements besides fly by wire. So every year since then I hear people on this forum wishing the GS had different engine characteristics and better suspension and weight with its yearly updates. And every year we have this big build up of antisipation, and then bang , we get new decals/ graphics etc.
    zealousrider likes this.