New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Hahah, some things never change
  2. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    To me it sounds like buyers remorse.
    I purchased my 2010 twin cam in February of 2011.
    Two years later the WC models came out.
    That's life, new models come and go. Doesn't mean the previous models are a dogs breakfast.
    Just consider yourself lucky that BM still makes majority of parts for their bikes from the 40's onwards.
    Try purchasing body panels for your ten year old jap bike and see how far you get.
    Lonster11, Merlin32 and BygDaddee like this.
  3. VEXX

VEXX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before this article popped up I remember seeing a photo of the f7gs redesign. The cast wheels gave it away..

Enviado do meu SM-J500FN através de Tapatalk
  4. Lars

Lars Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMW motorrad will show à new bike for the first time in Shanghai on 21 of april. If we are lucky IT will be the new GS850!
    BygDaddee likes this.
  5. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez, there is no pleasing some people. We have had years of whining about BMW letting the F800GS languish without an update, then when they seem poised to do so, we get people whining because they are changing it.

Myself, I'm pleased to see they are doing a complete refresh, it's due given the current market and the age of the platform. For it to carry on, it needs to be a clean sheet remake, not another warm over. The new platform should hold up for several production years if they get it right. That said, I'm not ready to replace my 09 yet barring circumstances that would force my decision as when I got the 800 after totaling my 650 hitting a deer. I may consider it some time in the future though, Likely four to five years out. Hopefully by then there will be a good selection of accessories available; I don't want to be the early adopter and have to pick from a limited selection of farkles again, then have to replace some of those as they were not the best for my needs. Also by then some of the bugs should be sorted. There are always bugs.
    XRman likes this.
  6. VEXX

VEXX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adanac rider and Merlin32 like this.
  8. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Please, let BMW engineers find enlightenment so they'll find the way to shed weight from the FxxxGS twins. Or just go ahead and be done with it, and build an F500GS.

Fred (former owner of two fantastic F800GSes)
    XRman likes this.
  9. madefrtv

madefrtv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did I miss something? I haven't seen two folks of the same gender humping over this bike.
  10. mylastbike

mylastbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hoping the introduction of this bike will lower prices for the current 800s. I'd love to pick up a low mileage 800 from someone who can't pass up the latest model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    shuswap1 likes this.
  11. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:

Well, it's not worthy going on a debate regarding something that's not here yet... and I'm pretty sure to have apologized for my long post with lots of personal yadayada about my accessories and stuffs.

BUT, I should stand by my observations about the chain position and, mostly and more important to me, the gas tank.

First, I don't think BMW moving the final drive to the left side should be understand only because 80% of the bikes out there have it this way. The issue here is the chain as it is right now is pretty effective, when it comes to deal with it when the bike is on its side stand. I guess they would have made some changes in the engine to come up with this modification? Speculation, nothing more, and in the end of the day, not a big deal.

As for the gas tank, well this is actually a major set back, I think. Because it mess with a well balanced set up in terms of center of gravity. Nothing more, nothing less. And, yes, a large percentage of bikes out there have the gas tank at this position, in front of the rider. But that doesn't mean it's the best option either.

We all know we will pay more money on this new bike... I would be more comfortable to do it with a new suspension, fully adjustable, new and sturdy shock bolt, etc... on the same base, same bike. They are pretty good on doing cosmetic changes, it could be part of the package as well. Personally I don't complain that much about the weight, I don't ride it as a trail bike, even tough I put it in interesting situations from time to time. As a tool for long trips (two up included), on and off tarmac, I like it a lot as it already is. Of course, having something even better would be sweet. But without those things I noticed before. How do you say this in english... to each his own?

Lots of respect for every rider in this forum.

Cheers.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  12. diegosaenz

diegosaenz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fixed~
    OzRider64 likes this.
  13. diegosaenz

Oddometer:
    Honestly, if you are concerned about your farkles moving into the new gen bikes or loosing money when buying a motorcycle then you are in the wrong hobby. This is another one of those money pit hobbies and the manufacturers will gladly make you pay for new farkles even if it means all you need is a new screw.
    ag40 and BygDaddee like this.
  14. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:
    After plenty of time riding and travelling on motorcycles I understand this perfectly. Maybe you're right. Maybe I should see it less as an investment and more like a money pit? I don't know. Will find out.

Cheers.
    diegosaenz and BygDaddee like this.
  15. diegosaenz

Oddometer:
    Belive me, I wish they did! I also wish I didn't buy an F700GS as the value of it is already crap, I should've gotten the 800 but I didn't know at the time... It's just money, at least is not health!
  16. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:
    I guess there is always a bright side on everything. As you said, it's not the end of the world, it's not health. But I think you agree it's an investment, and it's well worthy some thoughts on the subject.

IF it reveals a real news and not some internet BS (I tend to believe we gonna see a new F800/850/900 GS whatever), I think I will stick with the old model for a while, considering all the investment already done and the one/two years of observations on the new model and its potential failures. Until then, I will continue to enjoy the ride.

Oh, and to make things even more interesting today, my bike didn't start and came up with an EWS on the screen:baldy. Gonna find out what is wrong and will report somewhere on the forum.

Cheers.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  17. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    EWS
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/what-is-ews-error-code.806695/

18. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:
  19. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus it is just so super convenient when you're traveling and don't have to mess with any bags every time you fill up at a gas station.

Gesendet von meinem ALE-L23 mit Tapatalk
  20. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    It certainly will be a disapointing loss moving the tank from under the seat