New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Zlock

Zlock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    Se post #120
  3. Zlock

Zlock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh. It looks like you can actually add it to the cart and buy it. I guess it is either a preorder or they send something that won't actually fit the bike once it comes out, which would be unfortunate.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  4. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
  5. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
  6. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not true. I saw the official BMW announcement printed out at my dealer. Also had the info on the K1600 bikes that will be 2018 models.
  7. dutchie

dutchie Lower than most

Oddometer:
  8. madefrtv

madefrtv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pics or it didnt happen. reputable dealers take non disclosure rules pretty seriously
    NumberCruncher likes this.
  9. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
  10. LosTabarnacos

LosTabarnacos Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whatever. It wasn't a confidential document as far as I know. It had info on the F850GS, the 2018 Urban R9T GS and the 2018 K1600 bikes.

I really don't care if you believe me or not.
  12. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my F800GS and think the bike is close to perfect without a complete overhaul.

What I'd like to see in the next bike.

1) More torque. I don't care much for more peak hp. They can get that now by just getting the bike to rev higher. What I'd like to see is the torque curve elevated by 10 lb ft. That would be huge.

2) LED headlight. While BMW will likely decrease the alternator's output to compensate, the old fashioned Halogen bulbs draw a lot of current all the time. An LED like the 1200 would be great.

3) Larger fuel range. As long as BMW offers an F850GSA I won't really care but why can't the current bike take an extra gallon? I know that is what the A is for but if BMW really wants me to ride long distance I have to pack fuel. Yes that is easy enough to do but a larger tank is even easier.

4) More sophisticated trip computer. Given the state of technology they can do a lot more than just the 30 year old display on the current bike.

5) Cruise Control. You can add this and it won't hurt reliability or make the bike too complex. I haven't used it too often on my R1200GS but it is nice to have for when it is wanted.

6) Fix the rear shock bolt issue.

I would like stiffer springs front and rear but that is all the suspension work I would need. Others disagree of course but at least you can buy a different shock right now to take care of that.

Relocating the tank has advantages and disadvantages. It is a pain to move packs around to get to the filler of the rear mounted tank. But a tank bag up front requires some fiddling as well. I ran an SW Motech snap-on bag on my R1200GS on my way to Alaska last year. Twice it jammed and had to be disassembled by me in order to get it off. That is worse than any fueling issue with my F800GS. That bag is long gone but I really liked how big the map pocket was.

But if BMW ruins the "big-comfy-roomy-dirt-bike-on-the-road-feel" to make it more street worthy, I won't buy one regardless.

This will be an expensive upgrade since my current F800GS has so many add ons but if BMW gets it right, I'll probably do that. It will have to have a 300 mile range so BMW needs to offer an ADV version, or a 6 gallon tank standard assuming I can get the same mpg as the current bike.

I am really interested to see what materializes over the next six months.

Oh and BMW, try to offer a decent color like my Cordoba Blue F800GS. I get so many compliments on that bike. Ostra Gray and Catalono Gray? I know bland colors will always sell but what about borrowing Porsche's Racing Yellow or Ford's Grabber Orange?

NC
    Siricco likes this.
  13. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did a Google search and from reading various forums there seems to be a lot of criticism about the new F850/900GS. it hasn't even come out yet and people are complaining. How about we wait until it comes out? If we like it, maybe we buy it. If we don't like it, we don't buy it.
    mylastbike likes this.
  14. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    The F 800 GS is being discontinued and this new mystery model is replacing it for 2018. The number one direct competition right now is the Tiger 800 XCX. I think the new BMW is intended to outgun the XCX. A bigger heavier GS with more power wouldn't surprise me at all. It sure looks bigger in the spy pics. As others have posted here, very possibly competing with the upcoming KTM 900 which is also a parallel twin. I'm sure BMW would not want a brand new model that comes up short against KTM. The risk is losing customers to Triumph who don't want a new bike bigger than the F800.
  15. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I think the new one actually looks lower than the old one, but that's yet to be seen. I think there has been a lot of criticism about the 800 being too tall. I think the main competition us the Africa Twin, and yes, the KTM. BMW will have to keep the weight down, if the 800 is replaced with something significantly heavier they will cop a lot of criticism. I hope they fix the top shock mounting.
  16. supertino

supertino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heard from a dealer last week that the engine would have a 270 degree crank...anyone else hear that rumor? Hope it's true.
  17. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    The other competition is the Triumph XCX. Same weight, 21" wheel, suspension travel and a 95 hp triple which is def smoother.
  18. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    This is a well thought out post.

I'm not in the market for a new bike and I unless I roll my FGS into a ditch I figure I'm good for the next 10 years.

On the six points:

1. Torque: mixed. I dropped a tooth up front and cannot complain about the torque at all. I wouldn't mind another 1,000 rpm though.
    2. LED Headlight: agreed. I also would want a reflector that doesn't melt. And more wattage from the stator would be a good thing.
    3. Fuel range: The standard F8GS is about 180 miles to empty. The GSA pushes that number to 250 +. What I do like is the underseat tank - the weight balance is wonderful and I've gotten very used to the filler setup. IMO, this doesn't need much change. On regular rides, I burn 20% less fuel than my friends. We've tracked it pretty closely.
    4. Trip comp: agreed.
    5. Cruise Control: agreed.
    6. Rear shock bolt: agreed.

The key, IMO, is to keep the weight down. The Standards F-GS is around 450# wet. GSA is a touch over 500#. My own personal experience has shown that dropping all the bolt on weight makes an amazing difference in handling. It's always the toss up of weight vs. protection.

Anyway, Good post NC.
    NumberCruncher and scarygary like this.
  19. HK416

HK416 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The new KTM 1090 R Adventure is going to be it's biggest contender taking the price and specs of the KTM into consideration..
    Are there any more spy pics available besides the ones that have already been posted?
  20. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being a new bike designer would be a tough gig these days. The Adventure Bike market is getting crowded.

The BMW designers know what they have to beat to win back sales leadership in order to beat their current competitors ( Tiger 800, Africa Twin, KTM1090) plus address the niggles present in the F800 range. What they don't know is the features that the KTM 800 will have, or even what the re-designed 2019 Tiger will have.

My guess is they will get back to basics offering a smoother motor, better suspension and increased fuel range. This alone should tempt existing F800 owners to upgrade when the time comes for them to replace their bikes.