New 2018 750/850GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GS-A-Day, Apr 12, 2017.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Went to my local NAPA store today with my filter... Filter cap wrench/socket was $5 and change including tax.
    apexal likes this.
  2. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:

Not true. Have many BMW's with 100,000 'S of miles , no issue on Schedule service intervals.
    You do what you like but don't go panicking relative new owners.
  3. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else get a clunking/ratteling noise when going over bumps/potholes. Seams to be coming from the center stand/rear area When I tap it with a rubber mallet can kind of recreate the sound, but all fasteners seem tight. Bike is a 850 GSA
  4. TitanRanger

TitanRanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the Rider! LOL!
    Phoenix101 and slackline like this.
  5. TitanRanger

TitanRanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have both the sport tail bag and touring tail bag from Nelson Rigg. both are incredible, but if I had to choose 1 I would go with the Touring bag. JMHO.
  6. TitanRanger

TitanRanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the same bag. I just folded the straps up to about 2 inches and cinched them with a zip tie.
  7. TitanRanger

TitanRanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mechanical issues...what you talkin bout, Willis? My 700GS was rock solid. My TurbinGS (1200Boxer) was rock solid. change the oil/filters/tires when you're supposed to and ride!
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I thought so as well. I was thinking chain slap on the swingarm guards due to slack. Could be center stand banging a little bit. Everything else seems really solid.
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I updated my post on prev page, but also here:

--> 600 mi service (really at 765mi)
    OK I just got back from first service @ dealer. I too changed my oil first, had them do the balance. Here is what I learned from the service writer:
    1- He said either of the filters above is ok, mentioned them being "the short one" and seemed a bit vague
    2- He asked if I had drained the internal sump, I said no, he said it holds about 1 quart of oil. I told him I would if I could find any service info or manual to purchase ;-)
    3- I got a emailed receipt, (I assume they stamped my manual under the seat?) it does NOT list out ANY details about what they did. Basically just says "Perform 600 mile check" and the total charge of $150 !
  10. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Oil Change by the Numbers…

OK,
    On my first oil change on the bikes (My 1019 F850 GS and my wife’s F750GS) @600 miles I did not know about the secondary inner pan drain plug.
    I drained the oil via the plug in the pan, replaced the filter and added the 3 Liters of oil that I purchased at out dealer when we picked up the bikes… No problems… Oil level was in the middle between Min & Max all is good.
    I then started hearing about a secondary drain plug above the primary drain plug inside the pan. Looking at the parts Fiche confirmed an additional drain plug accessible once the main external plug was removed.
    We now had 3500 miles on the bikes and I wanted to change the oil and filter again after a 1600 mile 9 day trip. I decided to investigate the secondary drain plug and see how much oil there was left in the engine if the upper sump was not drained during an oil change.

I checked the oil level on both bikes before starting and the oil level was right in the middle of the Min and Max marks on the dipstick as it was 2500+ miles ago at the 600 mile change. (No oil loss)
    The bikes had been sitting for the better part of a week and I did not start/warm them up before starting the oil changes.

I elected to use Motul 5100 10-40 and HiFlo HF160 filters for the service. I have been using both products for many years in all of the bikes I have owned with no issue so I stuck with what I know works for me.

Having only a “Ratio Rite” measuring cup to accurately measure the oil quantity which has a 500cc (1/2 Liter) Capacity I decided to clean out a semi-clear plastic jug and measure the oil into that 500cc at a time and mark the jug as I went in .5 liter increments. I filled and marked it every .5 liter to the 3 liter capacity that the bikes call for.

I then started the draining process on my bike… I used my standard drain pan after cleaning it out first to ensure accuracy of measurement of the used oil that was in the bikes.
    I drained the sump through the main drain plug which is a T-50 Torx… While the oil was draining I removed the filter which is pretty simple as the oil only runs on the back of the exhaust and if you take your time does not make a mess.
    After the oil slowed down draining I began looking for the proper bit for the internal drain plug. I tried several Torx bits and the one that fit on the hole seemed sloppy… I switched to Allen Wrenches and found the head of the secondary drain plug was in fact a 5mm Allen.

I removed the secondary drain plug figuring that there was not much oil retained in the upper sump so I used my Ratio Rite cup… Surprise! The cup quickly filled and I had to pull the larger pan back under the drain to prevent an Exxon Valdese disaster on my garage floor.
    It was quite a bit more oil than I expected!

After capturing all the oil I replaced the filter and added the 3 liters of oil BMW says is correct for an oil change with filter.

I slid over to my wife’s 750 and repeated the process only with a larger container for the secondary/upper sump. This time I was able to keep the oil drained from the main and upper sumps separate in order to answer the burning question… regarding oil change capacity.

I found that the upper sump actually holds .75
    Liters of oil and the lower holds 3 liters so if you are going to drain both the upper and lower sumps plan on 3.5 to 3.75 liters of oil to fill the system.

IMG_20190627_144453.jpg
    IMG_20190627_145758.jpg IMG_20190627_152639.jpg
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  11. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Used the GS-911 to reset the service reminder for 2500 miles... Next service @ 6,000 miles.

IMG_20190627_165736.jpg IMG_20190627_165835.jpg IMG_20190627_170033.jpg IMG_20190627_170240.jpg
  12. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys were so helpful with my last question, I'm back.

Today my wife tried on the KTM 790 Adventure, Triumph Tiger 800, Ducati Multistrada 950, and F 750 GS with standard frame and factory low seat. The GS was the clear winner and she's starting to chomp at the bit.

I've owned a lot of bikes, but never a BWM, so I'm somewhat of a fish out of water in this arena.

What is the typical BMW purchase experience? Yes, I sure it varies by dealer to dealer, but in general... Are they a usually willing to come off the sticker price? I see I don't qualify for any of the published incentives, so wondering what to expect. Probably be looking to buy in August after we get back from our ride out west. Don't think I could get the bike setup in time for her to ride the GS on that trip.

Am I going to need to buy that $300/$400 computer thing to be able to do my own service on the bike?

Has anyone here used bar risers? Is there enough cable/wire/hose clearance to bring those bars up and back?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's my next salvo.
  13. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_3120.jpg

Got my Seat Concepts 850GSA “standard comfort” seat back from the upholstery shop today. Really like the look of it. I haven’t ridden it yet, but will shortly, and I’ll come back and report. I did sit on it, and immediately notice the difference. No feeling of being forced into the tank. Gripper material will be nice off road.

The guy at the upholstery shop said it was the easiest/best seat he’s ever had to do. Seat Concepts does good work. I’m excited!
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  14. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    They are very easy to install... I never did a seat before and a few years ago I installed a Dakar Height kit on my F650 single and it was easy, looked great and was VERY comfortable.
  15. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    After my service and reset of the reminders I was having an issue with getting the seats to latch properly. I looked at the mechanism and what a joke it is.
    My wife's seat I had a hard time removing and discovered the latch linkage was hitting the negative battery cable I turned the cable on the terminal and it was easier to unlatch with the key but still tough to get locked back in place.
    It seems that there is not enough tension on the steel rod that engages the seat to hold it on.
    I used some small fuel line that I had to make a cushion behind the rod to help it return to the latched position...

Works much better now!
    The fuel line I used was the green Tygon that my power equipment dealer sells. You should be able to see it in the photo of the latch.
    I used one piece and threaded it across both places where it is visible.

IMG_20190628_145937.jpg IMG_20190628_145914.jpg
  16. dharmab

dharmab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, mine had that problem at the dealer and they fixed it for me before I accepted delivery. The battery terminal needs to route away from the latch to give it clearance, make sure it doesn't get routed the other way following any dealer service or recall.
  17. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely. We really like our 850. BMW definitely stepped up the game with this model.

Thanks again for the support!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    MCMXCIVRS likes this.
  18. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    SnoDrt - THANKS for the Scientific Method Oil Change!
    Interesting. So if your measurements are spot on, this means the Owners Manual information is for the outer/lower oil pan drain ONLY. It states:
    "Engine oil, capacity approx. 3.0 l, with filter change"
    This implies that the sump doesn't normally get drained at oil change time?? Seems very odd.
    One day, in the future perhaps we can all be enlightened when the OE Service Manual is published....

And I am going to have to get myself one of those GS-911 doohickeys.
  19. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    What is the typical BMW purchase experience? ... Are they usually willing to come off the sticker price?
    --> They have(had?) an $1850 incentive which I used a month ago, as well as my BMW Car Club discount ($500). I was v happy with that deal. I doubt they are going to move much beyond either of those, but individual dealers *may* bump you $2-300, that is hard to predict. Remember this is a brand new bike in the middle of prime riding season. Maybe wait until January if you want to play hard ball?

Am I going to need to buy that $300/$400 computer thing to be able to do my own service on the bike?
    --> ONLY if you want to reset the annoying service lights after said work. So Yes; otherwise bring to dealer or someone with a tool.

Has anyone here used bar risers? Is there enough cable/wire/hose clearance to bring those bars up and back?
    --> I cannot comment.
    Dirt_Dad likes this.
  20. DanF750GS

DanF750GS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone else with a F750GS noise an engine clack at cold start? I have 600 miles and it has done it 5 or 6 times. Once I thought the rod was coming thru the block. It goes away in 3 seconds. Wondering if it has to do with the engines position when stopped??