NEW 2018 GOLD WING

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by slipknot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Copied from the GL Forum

[​IMG] Honda History has been made
    1 day ago

No other time in the History of the Goldwing, has Honda Corporation shown a new version of a new Goldwing to the buying public.

To make this even more special, under 30 chosen few got to not only see the New Goldwing & F6B. But actually got invited to test ride the new bikes, at a secret location owned by Honda.

This was the only viewing & Test ride in the USA. (My friend was part of history)

The Consensus was overwhelming in the Positive.

Both bikes were rebuilt from the ground up.

Both bikes share the same engine.

The Flagship is a DCT 7 speed.(can be manually paddle shifted)

The F6B is a manual 6 speed transmission (Still a stripped down wing)

ECM (now a central computer) has different modes of operation. (I won't say how many)

Suspension also has different modes. (I won't say how many)

Engine is a totally new power plant. (That info was kept confidential).

All new bodywork.

LED Lighting front to rear.

80 pounds lighter.

Without getting to in depth about each and every item Honda has created in this all new bike.

I will say that to describe the look and features is in a word. "Radical"

Through the years everyone has had a list of things they wanted on a new Goldwing.

Well Honda has been listening, and put together a bike that should please everyone.

Well almost everyone,after all Goldwing owners are never satisfied no matter what you give them!!! (Sarcasm inserted)

I have a ton of information, But will not post it here for my own reasons. it's Honda's new bike.

I'll let them have the Honor of telling everyone exactly what is on both new redesigned bikes.

I decided to share this Important news here on "TheGLForum" Because it's where I call home, and where I have friends I wanted to share this information with.

I have asked the board Administrator to lock this thread.

I will not answer any questions period,or divulge any more about the new Goldwing than I already have.

Anyone is free to start their own thread,and discuss it there.
    spokester, SnickterP and RCmoto like this.
  2. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
    About damn time, and I'll believe it when it is officially announced by Honda. LOL
  3. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    I own a 2009 airbag model GW and love it... i'll be curious what the final version will feature. i love the sound of 80 lbs lighter!!
  4. Scooterdoodler

Scooterdoodler Long timer

Oddometer:
    When Honda comes right out and refers to a new bike's styling as "radical", be ready to run for cover. Remember, these are the same people who brought you the 'new' Valkyrie, and completely sabotaged an otherwise great machine by visuals alone.

And lest we forget...

Behold! The Honda NM4...
    2015_Honda_NM4_ride_lhs.jpg

Be afraid....be very afraid!!!!
  5. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    Good to know it's finally getting a refresh.
    Vertical C likes this.
  6. Scooterdoodler

Scooterdoodler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, a 'flappy paddle' shifter might be kind of neat, as would a 140 hp, 2000-2200cc flat six.

On the other hand, it will probably only be offered in four shades of boring grey paint.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  7. sloryder

sloryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    80 lbs lighter, six and seven speed trannys sounds like progress to me. I may be mistaken, but I think the Honda NM4 sold out when it was introduced. It may have had something to do with being a limited quantity of bikes produced. I hope the new Wing and F6B are visually more attractive than the new Yamaha touring model.
    RebelYell and SnickterP like this.
  8. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
    It will also be north of $30,000 since you'll need the top of the line to get ABS.
    Smaug1 likes this.
  9. Charleston

Charleston Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just hope that the radical new styling takes aerodynamics into account. How many people are going to run out and buy a Goldwing for the new styling if it isn't first and foremost comfortable cruising the highway?
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that a trick question? :dunno
    pceire32 and Reduxalicious like this.
  11. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe it will be electric. Internal combustion is soooo yesterday. :gerg

Paul
    spokester and JimVonBaden like this.
  12. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too have the 09, its awesome. Not looking at trading up at all yet. But I will watch with muted interest.
  13. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mean this not trying to be snarky, but ~930 lbs minus 80 is still 850. Does that really make that big a difference?
    I've honestly never ridden anything heavier than about 700 so...just curious.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    In part it depends on where the weight comes from. Up high and you will really feel it. Down low, less so. Still, the current bike is pretty agile, so 80 pounds less is still 10% or so. That is a lot of weight reduction on any bike.
    pceire32, MKorn, spokester and 6 others like this.
  15. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I will put it this way.
    Not sure how long you have been riding. I rode my first wing after almost 40 years of legal riding bikes.
    It makes a difference for sure. The Wing is heavy. But most of the weight is down low. Look at where the engine is. The heads are by your foot pegs, the gas tank is under the seat. But it is heavy. The front wheel will wash out easier on some loose stuff.

I had to go way back to school in my thinking and learn to ride the bike, specially at low speed, u-turns etc. I try to not lean so much as to grind the bike in the corners but do get a touch quite a bit.

Now put Mum on the back and load up those panniers and top box it gets heavier and the weight is higher. You have to be on your metal at all times when slow. It is a skill and mind-set thing. Up and running its much the same but its long and heavy. Plenty of power for normal and spirited riding. Goes quite well for a light truck I usually say. You wont foot it with a well ridden sports bike in anything. But you can outride a poorly ridden one where corners are present. :-) That's usually when I get a rabbit punch in the back from the Master and Commander on the back.

So at the end of the day - yes it will.
    Gham, AQAD 40, boingk and 4 others like this.
  16. Geoff

Geoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the new Gold Wing retains the six-cylinder opposed flat mill or uses a new 4-cylinder boxer like the Neowing concept.
    spokester and mrbreeze like this.
  17. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, we want more. We always want more. It's the 'merican way. Make it a 10 banger like a Viper. :hide

Paul
    Two Plugs, Scooterdoodler and vsvn like this.
  18. anotheroldfart

anotheroldfart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About time Honda goes with LED lighting and in all the lighted switches, I assume. 6sp/7sp transmission is much needed for better fuel mileage.

I hope they leave the motor alone.

The words "Radical styling", worries me. Anyone remember the Radical styling of the Victory Vision?
    SnickterP likes this.
  19. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that BMW has a 6, no way will Honda go back to a 4. I predict between 1.8 and 2.2 liter flat 6 with 150 HP and 150 Lb Torque and all the ABS, TC and Ride Modes so popular today. Plus fully integrated GPS, communication etc.

But, I have been wrong before...

Rick G
  20. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    First page "It needs to lose at least 100lbs and +20hp AT the same price before I'll buy it."