NEW 2018 GOLD WING

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by slipknot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going to Colorado in a few weeks with my WR250. The logical thing would be to throw it on the trailer behind my Crown Victoria, set the cruise at 70, and relax. But there’s that little nudge...

Any thoughts about towing a 300lb WR behind the Wing 1500 miles? I did a short test ride and it works, but just seems like a bad idea for some reason.
    dad2bike likes this.
  2. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pics would be cool.
  3. jules083

Oddometer:
    Sorry, never bothered to take any.
  4. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jules083, I've pulled a very heavily loaded Bushtec trailer behind my '01 Wing. It pulled better than I ever could hope. But I would not go beyond the flatlands. Going up the Rockies is one thing. The Wing can pull it. Going down the other side might be exciting.
  5. Manwell

Manwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I completely agree with the comment. I've had a couple other wings before this 2020 DCT and they were great bikes, well over 100,000 on each of them, with no real mechanical problems. But this new wing is just a better bike, pretty much all the way around. Just yesterday a younger guy (mid 30's?) stopped and asked - what king of bike is that?? He was shocked when I said Gold Wing. Smoothest highway bike I've every owned, fitted with Traxxion suspension, Cetramatic wheel balancers and a RDL seat - it's a dream to roll down the interstate and also holds it's own on the twisties...
    augie05 likes this.
  6. augie05

augie05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. Never really considered the pre-2018 models. Honda really did a great job with the redesign. Some of the previous gen owners complained about the luggage capacity or whatever (vs previous) but Honda absolutely nailed the riding dynamics and comfort. It is an absolute joy to ride. Even the weight is very well managed as the COG is so low. Took my wife for a mother's day ride yesterday and I hardly even knew she was there. Amazing in the twisties as well.... especially sweepers. Great bike and well worth the $$
    Manwell likes this.
  7. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    What are you guys running for a high mileage tire?
    The stock Bridgestone's on mine are toast at 11500. Tomorrows ride with friends will be the last on this set. Both front and rear are gone at the swame time.
    I was told by my friend at the bike tire shop that Dunlop Elite 4 are the go to tires for high mileage. Problem is the rears are on backorder for another month.
    I'll be riding the BMW for awhile unless there's another option.
    What say the collective? :ear
  8. jules083

Oddometer:

Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS. 195 width. :hide
    480v Sparky, wvJwaii and dad2bike like this.
  9. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I'm not quite ready for the Dark side. I may in the future though. This rear tire looks really blocky.
    My friend was running Dark side on his DL1000 with good results.
  10. jules083

Oddometer:
    I was going to get a second rear wheel and only run the car tire on trips or while towing, but once I rode on the car tire there was no question that I was keeping with it.

I’m trying the Bridgestone battlax BT46 next for the front. Last change I just went with the stock replacement front tire, mainly because I had a trip planned soon and I was worried I would hate the BT46 and be stuck with it.
    dad2bike likes this.
  11. wvJwaii

wvJwaii Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Me too. Only on an old Victory Vision.
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    The coolest mc trailer ever. Can you still get them?
    OJ-J likes this.
  13. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to ask, since I've never ridden on a car tire'd motorcycle. What does cornering feel like ? Especially that initial 'rolling over the edge' of that square tire as you start leaning into the turn.
  14. jules083

Oddometer:
    It’s better than you would think. You can feel the initial turn as you’re coming off the flat spot, but not nearly as much as you’d expect
  15. T-88

T-88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, the only mc tires available for 2018+ Gold Wings are the OEM Bridgestone Exedras and Dunlop Elite 4s. No other motorcycle tire manufacturer makes correct size, matching front/rear tires.

I got exactly 20,000 km out of the Bridgestones (100-percent solo riding), the highest mileage I've ever gotten from a set of mc tires. When I replaced the tires in mid-April, I asked for Dunlop Elite 4s, which Wing owners say last longer, but my dealer (in Canada) said the Elite 4s were back ordered until mid-May.

I thought no way am I postponing any riding. Our Western Canada riding season is already very short. The common advice is buy the tires you can get, and ride.

Also, the Bridgestones are less expensive than the Dunlops, and BS currently offers a $50 dollar rebate on a pair of mc tires purchased in Canada or the U.S. "from a participating retailer" (their words) by May 31.

I am not a proponent of using a car tire on motorcycles, but that's an entirely different discussion.

As a side note, I've been entirely satisfied with the Bridgestones' wet/dry performance and their 20,000 km lifespan.

Tim
    dduelin and swimmer like this.
  16. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So getting away from the darkside theme here, how about bugs. About a month ago I bought a 2021 bagger Wing. You know the one with industrial gray paint and flat black accents. BTW. not a knock I love the color.

Anyway about the bugs. I don't know what the flat black is or coated with, but dead bugs just don't stick. They wipe off like they landed on Teflon. It's great, damp rag and poof, gone.

This will be most helpful this year as I'm in the middle of ground zero for a trillion Brood X cicadas emerging from the ground after 17 years.

I think I missed a couple yesterday but in another week or two it's going to be like the bug splatter scene in "Wild Hogs". Going to wear face shield till the end of July. Bummer.
  17. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Mine is Black Metallic. This thing is like a big billboard. I don't think any bugs within a hundred feet can escape.
    Tip- Be sure to look up into your radiator for bugs. It's a giant scoop.
  18. Manwell

Manwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    The stock dunlop on the gl is the D423. They also offer the E4.

I had E4s on my 06 wing. They followed rain grooves and did not feel confident on wet roads. I sold the bike before they wore out.

I tried E3s and after a scary 75mph hydroplaning I replaced them with Bridgestones and never looked back.

I have the new G853 G stones on my 18 Wing. They work great. The front looks like it may go 11,000 miles. My bike had a car tire on it when I got it. It came off the first week and I had a Bridgestone mounted.

The Cruisetec looks interesting. Shinko makes a journey tire. Reports on the Goldwing forum report they wear very quickly.

I've done a Car tire twice on my previous wings. Decided that the compromise in handling is not worth the money savings. I only used a CT for the extra weight capacity when pulling a trailer.
  20. jules083

Oddometer:
    I had a similar experience with the E3’s. I’m not willing to try the E4’s because according to various reports I’ve ready they’re not much better.

I intended on buying a spare wheel and only having a car tire for trips, but after running the car tire for a bit I didn’t buy the spare wheel. It handles plenty good enough for the way I ride.