NEW 2018 GOLD WING

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by slipknot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the E4's mounted up. No chance to ride them yet. I'm doing a shakedown ride on my BMW today.
  2. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    In case the group is interested I installed the Kury Trunk Relocation Kit a couple days ago. It moves the trunk up 1" and back 4". With an aftermarket seat like the Ultimate, the filler piece that goes between the seat and trunk fitted like crap. It was too low and left gaps. I made a foam spacer out of 1" thick black closed cell foam and it fits better. My wife has only test sat it and says it is very roomy. She may slide around. Now I need to get those 2020 plus passenger grab handles. Do the modification ever stop?
  3. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I did those grab handles. Well worth it. It allows me to use the clamp on ram mount for my wife's drink holder.
  4. timblanch

timblanch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy Pricing - Do you guys have any sense of what's going on right now?

I want a 2021 Tour DCT (Red) and seeing some inventory but almost everything seems to be MSRP. I did find one for $1,300 off MSRP, but I don't know what fees are.

It's kinda crazy to look back at this thread and see the prices some of the 2018's sold for as leftovers and contrast that with the current market. ($29,300 is MSRP for a tour dct.) To think that i might break $30,000 Out the Door makes my brain lock up.

Do you guys have any sense of what's going on with pricing?

Thanks, Tim
  5. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    To my knowledge Honda don't do discounts on present model year at all. Cars or bikes.
    Any discounts will be on New Old Stock.
  6. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    When the 2018s were plentiful, even in 2018 there were serious discounts available. Thousands could be saved if you were willing to travel to Schroeder's, Russellville or Southern Honda. Not sure now since there seems to be a high demand and low inventory. It could be worth calling them.

Personally I like to buy used. I bought a 2018, 6.000 mile example for $9,000 less then the original owner paid.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  7. fecundity

fecundity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen a few 2018 wings on the road, really nice looking bike. Prices are definitely on the rise, we will know by the end of the year how many can afford 30k on a wing. For that kinda scratch I better come home with one of these, it’s got a six as well.

9E26463C-7F9D-4C5A-9456-E8BA49E4B737.jpeg
  8. Moto Jimmy

Moto Jimmy Bushwacker

Oddometer:
    That's how ya do it! I paid $8k for this 2015 a few months ago and it'll serve me well until I'm ready to get the new wing once the used prices dip below the $15k mark.

IMG_9750.JPG
  9. timblanch

timblanch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    now that's the right end to work the depreciation lever! you got me thinking. tim
    Moto Jimmy likes this.
  10. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    I can only speak from my experience. I bought a 2021 model on June 5th. It was the only one the dealer had, and it was on the sales floor because another buyer backed out of the transaction 24 hours earlier. I paid MSRP, but in fairness, got a very good trade-in price for my 2017 HD Ultra Limited. It’s black, I wanted red. The dealer showed me his order chart from Honda and the next red bike was not expected to arrive until October.

The dealer said he orders 10 GWs per month during the sales season but has no idea how many he’ll get and when he’ll get them. Same with the KTMs and Suzukis he sells, and with all the Polaris and Yamaha products. His showroom floor had a few new units, but was mostly very nicely cleaned up used motorcycles.

Another dealer in my metro area said he had two uncrated GWs that just arrived so I made and appointment ot comparison shop. The appointment was cancelled because both units sold immediately.

A friend bought a leftover 2018 last year and could now sell it for more than he paid for it.
    Charleetho and Florida Lime like this.
  11. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    ^ ^ ^
    This.
    Dealers can order what they want, but that doesn't mean they can get them. My local multiline dealer says they are getting fewer new Hondas compared to the other brands, with Kawasaki doing the best at getting new bikes out. But even they are having lots of issues also. No more trying to get a lower price on a bike, but at least they are selling at MSRP, and not including ADM to the bottom line like some dealers. The showroom floor looks a lot different now compared to years past.
    MHaz01 likes this.
  12. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    My local dealer had 6 or so 2021s sitting on the floor last week. I just checked thier website. Three left.
    Must be a good time to be a motorcycle sales person.
  13. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought mine a month ago. Same as MHaz. List but a nice trade on a high mileage H-D. You can do test rides on the dealer floors from the shops I've been in.
    MHaz01 likes this.
  14. Xyzzy

Xyzzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a brand-new never-mounted set of Bridgestone tires I'll let go for $200 - Local pickup only, NE Arkansas.
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I was reading some article the other day about the crazy home market in PHX and the article made reference to a large increase in household savings over the past year. Apparently not going out to eat every night and spending on frivolous entertainment and travel allows one to save more money. Who knew? Also, people who had no negative financial effects from the covid era still getting govt stimulus money. Anyway, it must be the same phenomenon that's pushing motorcycle sales. Just money burning a hole in people's pocket. I can't really think of any other societal issues driving sales. Maybe there is also a reduction in supply. Hopefully it's a buyers market a couple of years from now.
  16. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I think I posted earlier about having new Dunlop extreme tires installed. I finally got out for a ride on them this week. Not only new tires, but I lowered the air pressures to 36/40. Very impressed with the handling and grip. It was nice to be on tires without an edge when I go into corners. Mileage will be the determining factor of I keep running them. I got about 11,500 on the stock Bridgestone.
    Edit- whoops Dunlop Elite 4 tires.
  17. Manwell

Manwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are Dunlop extreme tires? Can’t find them…

Thanks,
  18. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    My bad Dunlop Elite 4 tires. :shog
    Manwell likes this.
  19. Redoubt

Redoubt Shall not be infringed.

Oddometer:
    I was just doing the same thing, browsing cycle trader looking at overpriced bikes. Who is buying all the bikes? There has not been a major increase in new riders during the pandemic. I get the shortages however the motorcycle market was oversupplied prior to covid.

Hopefully these prices come down as I'm ready to buy but not ready to be ripped off.
  20. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I've come to the conclusion that Highway pegs on the new Goldwings are designed for long legged MF's. I have a set of the Aero flip out pegs. I have a 30" inseam. Just not that comfy where they were set. I saw a FS post with highway boards like my floorboards that attach to the crashbars. Hmmm, maybe. Hell I can't even get my toes to that area. So that's out of the question. :lol3
    So I went back to my Aero installation. I found I can move them back with existing holes another 2 inches. Did that. Now once it cools off enough to ride again, I'll give that a try. There is still another 2 inches I can gain by doing a bit of drilling a tapping. Hopefully not needed.