NEW 2018 GOLD WING

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by slipknot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Manwell

Manwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool - been there and done that!

I like the Elite 4’s - good tires!
  2. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I’ve been lurking on this thread and am Goldwing curious. I’ve sat on a couple in dealerships but have not done a test ride yet. My interest is in the 2021 DCT Tour.

Anyone here gone from a GS to a Goldwing. I’m on my third BMW boxer (RT, GSA, GS) over the last 12 years so it’s tough to move off what you know. What am I gaining, what am I loosing.

Any insights or advice for those of us that are curious?
  3. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got both. They really have different purposes.
    My Goldwing is for 2 up with my wife and long road trips.
    The GSA is to ride with my son on my second GSA on rides.
    We refer to the Goldwing as the "couch" :lol3
  4. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had both. Like dad2 the (01) Wing was for 2 up. The 1150 GS was for solo tours. Now 20 years further down the road I have arthritis here and there and no longer sleep in a tent. So as a geezer there's a Can Am RT for 2 up and a new bagger Wing for solo. If BMW made a DCT option I'd be on a 1250 GS. While I love RT's, I had two, they are short on room for geezer knees and hips.
    GeoAggie and dad2bike like this.
  5. LuvPop

LuvPop adv poser

Oddometer:
    Loosing: Legroom.

Gaining: a couple of hundred pounds. They both have a reputation for a relatively low center of mass, but it would need to be much more so on the GW, and just might be judging by the appearance (massive engine low to ground, under seat tank) and the much lower seat height.
  6. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    I bought a Goldwing Tour DCT. I haven’t owned a GS, but I have owned a K1200LT and later a K1600GTL. Between the K1600 and the Goldwing I owned a Harley Ultra Limited.

I liked all of them. It’s difficult to find a touring bike that isn’t a good quality machine these days. It’s more a matter of personal preference than anything else. I bought the Goldwing because (1) my wife had back surgery and no matter what we did with the Harley’s suspension and seat we couldn’t make it a comfortable ride for her, and (2) my increasing carpal tunnel syndrome made operating a clutch lever painful.

The DCT is amazing. I don’t think I’ll ever own a shifter bike again. It does take a few hundred miles and some time on the Goldwing forum to learn how to make it operate smoothly in city driving. It’s more a matter of learning how to moderate your inputs than anything else. The suspension is top-shelf.

Like any motorcycle it needs to be fitted to its rider. I added helibars and highway footpegs and will probably swap out the seat at some point. For now an airhawk does the trick. Otherwise, I have zero regrets about this purchase.
    ICOM, Travman, BUZZARD II and 2 others like this.
  7. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the input. I’ve arranged a couple of demo’s this coming week so we’ll see how it goes. I’ve had my ass on an RDL for the last 6+ years so that is always an option for comfort.
    dad2bike likes this.
  8. CbDude

CbDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, the two brothers exhaust sounds so good

9. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I finally found out how to pull that snorkel in fuel filler neck. I'm looking forward to filling up without all the click click click
  10. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. dad2bike

Oddometer:
  12. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    This is the filler neck.
    20210623_191850.jpg
  13. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    How much more fuel can you get in the tank without that ?
    A word of caution though, you might end up with fuel in the breather system and subsequently in the charcoal cannister. Once that happens the charcoal becomes a solid and you may have breather issues, as in it won't vent anymore.
    The fuel pump won't care and just continue sucking fuel out of the tank and atmospheric pressure will collapse the tank.

upload_2021-6-24_11-1-55.png
  14. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I don't fill up totally and on a center stand. Also usually only while on the road. Hence the level drops considerably within the first block.

EDIT- It wouldn't be the first canister that I've disconnected. :augie
  15. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:

In all of the discussion about this in the past couple of years I've never seen anyone citing "more fuel in the tank" as a reason for pulling the fuel port insert. What reason do you have for asking?
  16. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    Because the owners manual directs you not to fill the tank beyond the bottom edge of that tube. Removing it might invite one to add more fuel.
  17. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    There are items I will follow in an owners manual and there are items I don't. Stopping my fillup where they say in the OM ( to appease the EPA) is not one of them. Here in the desert SW it's many many miles between stops. I have always filled up near the top. It takes a bit of time due to the snorkel. Now I can get back on the road much quicker.
    Shall we discuss oils next? :lol3
    Kai Ju likes this.
  18. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not only invite, but allow one to add more fuel. Those tubes (my '16 GS has one) are there as explained above to allow some vapor space for expansion of the fuel and to keep fuel from filling and ruining the charcoal canister.
    Kai Ju likes this.
  19. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where would we be without our nannies? What would we do?

My Nanny loves me. My heart gives a big "Thump" when she reminds me to floss my teeth! And you wouldn't believe the amount of shit she can haul out of her carpet bag.

I'm going to go feed the birds now.
    dad2bike likes this.
  20. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back on a 'wing! It's been over nine years since selling my yellow '05 Goldwing. A week later, I started a five and half year run with a Concours 14 followed by my current Africa Twin of nearly four years.

A couple of days ago, I traded the '19 CB1000R for a '21 non-tour 'wing with DCT. The dealer has a center stand, rear carrier, and the Home Link buttons on order as part of the deal.

Took this picture while the 'wing was still on the showroom floor. Rode 45 miles home and didn't get out yesterday since I've been reading the manuals, installing the battery tender lead, and exploring the features and settings with the audio and navigation.
    IMG_20210629_115650843.jpg

In the garage in need of a center stand, a little space de-clutter, and more importantly, riding.
    IMG_20210629_151628710.jpg
    Charleetho, fastring, Manwell and 7 others like this.